Face it, we suck at picking head coaches

Im gonna correct myself. They are not more stable than they ever have been. They are more stable than they have been in 15 to 18 years
And that is an incredibly low bar to clear.

White is somewhere above “fire his ass” and somewhere below “thank God for him” to reference the OP. Donde is more of an academic and we don’t seem to be doing particularly well there, the last time I checked.

We are used to having coaches doing less with more. CJH is doing more with less.

Really nice seeing passing "splash plays". Pruitt would hit the long ball once and never go back to it. People say he had a high football IQ, but I saw no evidence of it. Jones having Kamara on the bench was a sin. Pruitt NOT having Guarentano on the bench a sin.

I'm baffled with the Florida situation. Goodness... it's dawning on me that where they are RIGHT NOW, it might not be corrected for a few years. We all know what a downward spiral looks like and by jove, there is one going on in Gainesville. Their visit to Neyland next year should be fun. With our luck, Oklahoma and Texas will jump over next season, a realignment will take place and we won't play Florida for 5 years while they are out in the wilderness.

And that is an incredibly low bar to clear.

White is somewhere above “fire his ass” and somewhere below “thank God for him” to reference the OP. Donde is more of an academic and we don’t seem to be doing particularly well there, the last time I checked.
How did you check it? Might be interested.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I like what CJH has done this season, but in no way can we know yet if he will work out. He could have a solid year one, better year two, and then decline. He could have a solid year one and then build on it very year maxing out at 10-11 wins per year. He could win it all within 4.
Comparing his first year to coaches who have been at their programs for several years is fools gold. Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, James Franklin, and Hugh Freeze were also coaches that we wanted here. I like CJH but I think Fickell, who has an established 44-14 record at Cincinnati, is probably the best at coaching up. LSU, Florida, USC, and Florida(it's coming) should talking to his agent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Let’s not kid ourselves, Dan White didn’t exactly look hard for the head coach here at UT. It’s working out and I’m not complaining, but he doesn’t yet deserve accolades for simply bringing his luggage to his next stop here at UT.

I like what CJH has done this season, but in no way can we know yet if he will work out. He could have a solid year one, better year two, and then decline. He could have a solid year one and then build on it very year maxing out at 10-11 wins per year. He could win it all within 4.
Comparing his first year to coaches who have been at their programs for several years is fools gold. Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, James Franklin, and Hugh Freeze we're also coaches that we wanted here. I like CJH but I think Fickell, who has an established 44-14 record at Cincinnati, is probably the best at coaching up. LSU, Florida, USC, and Florida(it's coming) should talking to his agent.
That’s very true. Heupel is still a young tenured HC only in his 4th full season

Let’s not kid ourselves, Dan White didn’t exactly look hard for the head coach here at UT. It’s working out and I’m not complaining, but he doesn’t yet deserve accolades for simply bringing his luggage to his next stop here at UT.
But does deserve credit for not being afraid of the guaranteed criticism of such a move.

Just 'what iffing'. Heuple walked into a train wreck and has turned it into a respectable team. Sarkisian walked into a gold mine and turned it into a train wreck. What if Heuple had gone to the other U.T.?

Just 'what iffing'. Heuple walked into a train wreck and has turned it into a respectable team. Sarkisian walked into a gold mine and turned it into a train wreck. What if Heuple had gone to the other U.T.?

Texas hasn’t been relevant in a long time. I wouldn’t call it a gold mine. It’s this job that’s supposedly so great, but hardly anyone ever wins there.

Their roster is definitely ahead of ours, but they are far from ready to join the elite.

I wouldn't trade CJH, but who is a championship coach besides Saban?

Kiffin is a good coach. Unorthodox, but good
And I believe Freeze is very good. Didn't he beat Bama back to back Years when the Tide was #1 AND #2?
Exactly. There’s only a few proven coaches in the game.

Reactions: vols 30
On the topic of picking coaches, how hilarious is it that we were down to basically Mel Tucker and Jeremy Pruitt and ended up picking the guy that had never heard of asparagus?

My only fear is he lucked into Hooker like Jones lucked into Dobbs as he originally thought Milton was better. I have zero idea how he ever thought that.

But outside of that he calls a very wicked offense. I just need to see more on defense and for now will just have to base it in depth and talent.

Lol keep telling yourself that

Clemson has one of the best defenses in the country. This is fact and can’t be disputed.

Clemson has the 114th best offense in the country. This is fact and can’t be disputed.

QB play is the single biggest factor as to why they have been historically atrocious on offense compared to the past decade.

Reactions: cgrish
Im not sure you can truly evaluate CJH until his guys are on the field. Even though Pruitt and Co. recruited about all of the guys if not all of them playing at least. But what Josh has done with a total cluster of a team just short months ago is nothing short of eye opening. I will say that if this man can recruit with the vig boys once all this NCAA crap is over.... It will be a fun ride. I don't thibk their is. DC that has to face us that sleeps during game week. I haven't ever seen a UT team play the way they have this season and yeah we have lost a couple i wish we had back. Pitt/ UF come to mind. Ole Miss is another. Support these guys they have the potential to be here a long time.
But a lot of the reason for our success is off the backs of the guys coach hype got from the transfer portal. Hooker, Young, Payton all come to mind.

I'm trying real hard in life to not look back and think, "What if." It ain't easy, but.............................I'd take Kiff and Freeze in a heartbeat.

That being said, I'm happy with what UTs got now.........minus players on Defense.

VN Store

Back