Europe Trip

Hi Game Time, This is off subject, but put Casey down today, it was rough, thought of your kind words of your experience when you had to go through that when we talked a few months back, wanted to let you know.

I'm sorry for the tough beginning to your day. Hopefully the Lady Vols have lined your cloud with a little bit of silver. God Bless.

There’s one glaring flaw in this team, and it’s a doozy. Lady Vol players have GOT to become proficient at shooting (and making) layups with their off hands. This video was incredibly frustrating to me because one of my pet peeves about the “modern game” is that too few players have that very basic skill anymore.

If our right handed shooters can only shoot layups with their right hands, they are FAR more likely to miss or get blocked driving down the left side and then using their right hand to shoot. They lose the ability to make an easy bank off the backboard at the very best angle, as well as losing the extra advantage of making it harder for the defense to either strip the ball or block the shot.

Ugh. It drives me crazy that players use the same hand on both sides of the lane. Gawd how I hope Kellie can impress upon them how important it is that they learn to shoot layups the RIGHT way, and how advantageous it would be for each of them as individual players and as a team if they’d practice that on their own time. That’s a skill they can practice alone or with each other in small groups — without having to take precious minutes out of official practice periods.

Last edited:
There’s one glaring flaw in this team, and it’s a doozy. Lady Vol players have GOT to become proficient at shooting (and making) layups with their off hands. This video was incredibly frustrating to me because one of my pet peeves about the “modern game” is that too few players have that very basic skill anymore.

If our right handed shooters can only shoot layups with their right hands, they are FAR more likely to miss or get blocked driving down the left side and then using their right hand to shoot. They lose the ability to make an easy bank off the backboard at the very best angle, as well as losing the extra advantage of making it harder for the defense to either strip the ball or block the shot.

Ugh. It drives me crazy that players use the same hand on both sides of the lane. Gawd how I hope Kellie can impress upon them how important it is that they learn to shoot layups the RIGHT way, and how advantageous it would be for each of them as individual players and as a team if they’d practice that on their own time. That’s a skill they can practice alone or with each other in small groups — without having to take precious minutes out of official practice periods.
Omggggggg I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed this!

DAVIS PUTS UP 25 AS UT IMPROVES TO 2-0 IN EUROPE

August 10, 2019
Story Links
LAARNE, BELGIUM – The Tennessee women's basketball team improved to 2-0 on its European tour, blowing past KBBC Upkot Sparta Laarne, 106-64, on Saturday night at Gemeentelijke Sporthal.

The Lady Vols, who traveled to Bruges in the morning to explore that city and returned in the afternoon to Ghent for a tour inside Gravensteen Castle, took a while to hit full speed after making the 30-minute trip to Laarne. An 18-0 UT run over the first 5:51 of the second quarter, though, turned a narrow 19-15 first-quarter lead into a 52-25 runaway by halftime.

Junior guard/forward Rennia Davis led five Big Orange players in double figures, hitting 11 of 15 shots to produce a 25-point, 10-rebound double-double. Sophomore guard Zaay Greentallied 15 points, followed by freshman guard Jordan Horston and sophomore guard/forward Rae Burrell with 14 each and junior center Kasiyahna Kushkituahwith 10.

Horston (7-8) and Green (6-7) missed just one shot apiece, while Burrell nearly recorded her second double-double in as many games on the tour, finishing with nine boards. Sophomore guard Jazmine Massengill, meanwhile, was just shy of her own double-double, firing in nine points while pulling down a game-high 12 rebounds and dishing out six assists.

"Right now, it's good to play a lot of people, a lot of minutes," first-year Tennessee head coach Kellie Harpersaid. "We started a little slow today, which could be a result of our travels, but we did a really nice job of changing that, grabbing some momentum and pushing us forward in the second quarter.

"The most important thing for us, I think, is just finding a way to get better each day. It may be little details right now, but that's going to matter later on."

UT hit eight of 16 shots in the opening stanza for 50-percent accuracy, but it gave up 15 points to the home team in that period before picking up the intensity in the second frame. UT outscored KBBC Upkot Sparta Laarne 33-10 in the quarter, connecting on 13 of 20 field goals while limiting Laarne to 4-of-23 shooting (.174). Davis tallied eight of her points in that 10 minutes, including six in the opening moments of the second.

UT, which hit 57 percent for the game on 44-of-77 marksmanship, knocked down seven of 14 field goal tries in the third. The Lady Vols, however, allowed 20 to the hosts and headed to the final stanza leading 72-45. UT closed out the contest by knocking down 16 of 27 field goal attempts to outscore Laarne, 34-19, over the final 10 minutes. Davis had 10 points during that quarter to help UT improve to 23-7 all-time on foreign soil, including 16-7 vs. non-NCAA teams.

For the second straight game, UT was 17 of 24 at the free throw line for 71 percent. Tennessee also had command of the glass, out-rebounding Laarne, 62-23, and grabbed 10 steals, including three each from Green and Horston, and two from Burrell.

From a turnover standpoint, the Lady Vols committed 19, but had only one in the final frame. The staff continues to distribute the minutes to get looks at the entire roster, which includes six players who had never suited up for the Big Orange before this season.

The Lady Vols make their way to France on Sunday and will meet Parisian Select at Gymnase Joliot Curie in Brétigny-sur-Orge on Tuesday at 5 p.m. local time (11 a.m. ET) to close out the three-game schedule

Next game will be the best team of the three. These first two teams would be the equilivent of playing bad NAIA teams.

Reactions: GameTime
Is that Jordan wearing #8? Her, Zaay and Rennia are ballin their butts off! Very impressive, looks like the team chemistry is improving quite a bit.

I have been looking at the video over and over, it looked like Jordan and Rennia were both wearing 0, but maybe Jordan’s was an 8. Anyway, you’re right, Z and R were having a lot of fun scoring, and the rest of the team, too. Everyone looked quicker as well. This team is going to be fun to watch and cheer for. GLV!

I have been looking at the video over and over, it looked like Jordan and Rennia were both wearing 0, but maybe Jordan’s was an 8. Anyway, you’re right, Z and R were having a lot of fun scoring, and the rest of the team, too. Everyone looked quicker as well. This team is going to be fun to watch and cheer for. GLV!
Now that I've seen it on a bigger screen, Rennia's #0 and Jordan is #8 (and looking much like a championship-worthy Chamique!!)

From the video I saw, this team is being coached....FINALLY.

Davis looks like a player.....She moves/flows like fast moving water......Keep her interested and look out mama.....

Not sure which one was Jordan, but if she is the one I thought she was, she is cat quick and cuts to the basket like a Ginsu Knife.

Looking forward to when we can see them either in person, or on television again...

I'm pumped!

From the clip Zay Green looks impressive. With Davis and fab freshman Horston thats a really good 3 just need some others to step up. Harper may not take long to get UT back to being elite. Not losing much with just 2 seniors this upcoming season. If Harper can recruit early UT could be back quickly to elite status.

From the video I saw, this team is being coached....FINALLY.

Davis looks like a player.....She moves/flows like fast moving water......Keep her interested and look out mama.....

Not sure which one was Jordan, but if she is the one I thought she was, she is cat quick and cuts to the basket like a Ginsu Knife.

Looking forward to when we can see them either in person, or on television again...

I'm pumped!
I actually saw players hitting layups and using the backboard. They may hit more than 50% of layups this year which alone could win more games than the last 3 years. One thing I saw that I did not like was a player getting the ball under the basket and bouncing it before she shot the layup. Do not want to dribble unless you are moving somewhere to get a better shot.

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back