ESPN is hot trash

It reminds me of the 1999 Fiesta Bowl. TN was about to win its first natty in about 40 years (not counting that weird one in 1967), it was the first ever with the new championship format, and as the game was winding down the ABC broadcast was all about Keith Jackson and his fake retirement.
Absolutely right! I remember that well.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
For some reason espn has really leaned into the "dudes just watching a game on tv and spitballing" version of announcing during covid.

It is absolutely awful and I have no idea why they are doing it. It's not just bball, but baseball as well.

I get that covid has made things difficult and announcing from a remote spot will never be the same, but other networks are doing a much, much better job of trying to make the announcing seem normal.

Often when I'm watching espn broadcasts lately I'm left wondering, "If the announcers are uninterested in the game why am I supposed to be interested?" It's bizarre.

Vitale, Walton, and Dykes were already bad about pontificating about other things and making the games about themselves, but it's off the charts during covid.

Bilas still does a good job though. I wish he would call more Tennessee games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Corso is fine. He doesn’t dominate the broadcasts that he appears on. He gets a minute or two of reading his scripted lines after another member of Game Day sets him up. He’s kind of like a mascot. Gets to do his little headgear shtick. No harm. It adds a little bit of nostalgia to a two-hour long show.

Vitale though... they need to do something similar with him and get him off of the game commentary. Two hours of Dick is painful (put it on the tee for somebody).

My main issue with Dykes is that before the game he picks some random storyline or aspect of the game and then just drives it into the ground during the broadcast no matter what happens. He doesn't let the game come to him. He tries to make everything fit his narrative.

Unlike Vitale, though, he often gushes over Tennessee.

How about Vitale saying how sorry he felt for Kentucky's freshmen getting criticized, while at the same time saying our freshmen have no business getting drafted (while our freshmen lit up UK)? Ridiculous.

What gets me is how disrespectful they are to the subs that only get to play in big wins. They ramble on about all kinds of junk and hardly ever even mention who makes a play. These kids work their butts off knowing they probably wont see the floor unless its a big winand then get ignired with their babble.They deserve better.

What gets me is how disrespectful they are to the subs that only get to play in big wins. They ramble on about all kinds of junk and hardly ever even mention who makes a play. These kids work their butts off knowing they probably wont see the floor unless its a big win and then get ignored with their babble.They deserve better.

I just got the chance to watch the game this morning without knowing the outcome. I’ve watched sports on TV for over 50 years and this broadcast was absolutely the worst I can ever remember. Dickie V is so terrible that I mute the entire game when he’s announcing. That senile codger talks about everything except the game being played. Occasionally when I can’t determine a call I’ll rewind and unmute and it’s about 50/50 if Dickie V and dufus partner will tell the call.

To top the incompetence off, in the final 2 minutes of the game with the outcome still in question, ESPN goes split screen to show those 2 bafoons. I honestly don’t think if you had a contest to see who could do the worst sports broadcast possible that anyone could have done a worse job.
Did you happen to catch the post game highlights on SEC NETWORK? “We should probably talk about Tennessee more, but what’s wrong with Kentucky.” They spent the whole segment talking about how Kentucky could still make the ncaa tournament by winning the sec tournament 🙄

Reactions: BoroVolFan
Nobody's ratings are what they used to be.
Back in the day, sports was about sports. Now, everyone is too interested in getting a scoop story to just bring someone down. When kids got in trouble with the law, the coach was a buffer and it was usually taken care of behind closed doors. Now, it's all about who can be first to throw a kid under the bus... sensationalism. ESPN let commentators go off on their own and let them bring politics in the broadcast. Olberman, was the first, then Jemele Hill came along being not journalists reporting sports, but putting on their "spin" and it eventually came back to bite them. There's no respect about individuals anymore. It's all about biases and agendas, and it has leaked into sports, and the two don't mix.

Back in the day, sports was about sports. Now, everyone is too interested in getting a scoop story to just bring someone down. When kids got in trouble with the law, the coach was a buffer and it was usually taken care of behind closed doors. Now, it's all about who can be first to throw a kid under the bus... sensationalism. ESPN let commentators go off on their own and let them bring politics in the broadcast. Olberman, was the first, then Jemele Hill came along being not journalists reporting sports, but putting on their "spin" and it eventually came back to bite them. There's no respect about individuals anymore. It's all about biases and agendas, and it has leaked into sports, and the two don't mix.

Let's not be naive enough to act like that wasn't a huge problem either.

Once last night late in the game they had the "V" on camera at home, he had been "name dropping" as he usually does. This time though, during his babbling names they showed him reading them from a list. Some much for his great ability to just rattle off names you think he just pulls from his great memory bank of players. As I have thought for years he is full of BS. I, like you, just will not listen to a game with his useless babble. Many times I will just click to another channel.

Hah I noticed that too. They surprised both with the cutover because Bob hurried to take his specs off when he noticed they had gone live with the face to face views.

Vitale and Walton are both loud and I listen to Money Bertlecamp and Kesling when Tennessee plays.
Vitale is awful, but so is Bumbling Bob. Trying to pick which commentary to listen to last night was like trying to decide between getting my left or right testicle chewed off by a rabid raccoon.

Wish Bob would go, along with Vitale

Reactions: walkenvol
Vitale is awful, but so is Bumbling Bob. Trying to pick which commentary to listen to last night was like trying to decide between getting my left or right testicle chewed off by a rabid raccoon.

Wish Bob would go, along with Vitale

Bob is alright. It could be much worse. But I did hear him last night say “3:58 to go IN THE GAME and our score is ...” and it was just before halftime.

VN Store

Back