ESPN is hot trash

walkenvol

I just got the chance to watch the game this morning without knowing the outcome. I’ve watched sports on TV for over 50 years and this broadcast was absolutely the worst I can ever remember. Dickie V is so terrible that I mute the entire game when he’s announcing. That senile codger talks about everything except the game being played. Occasionally when I can’t determine a call I’ll rewind and unmute and it’s about 50/50 if Dickie V and dufus partner will tell the call.

To top the incompetence off, in the final 2 minutes of the game with the outcome still in question, ESPN goes split screen to show those 2 bafoons. I honestly don’t think if you had a contest to see who could do the worst sports broadcast possible that anyone could have done a worse job.

I just got the chance to watch the game this morning without knowing the outcome. I’ve watched sports on TV for over 50 years and this broadcast was absolutely the worst I can ever remember. Dickie V is so terrible that I mute the entire game when he’s announcing. That senile codger talks about everything except the game being played. Occasionally when I can’t determine a call I’ll rewind and unmute and it’s about 50/50 if Dickie V and dufus partner will tell the call.

To top the incompetence off, in the final 2 minutes of the game with the outcome still in question, ESPN goes split screen to show those 2 bafoons. I honestly don’t think if you had a contest to see who could do the worst sports broadcast possible that anyone could have done a worse job.
He was screaming about the Super Bowl and waving a Bucs jersey right as Tennessee pulled off a stunning come-from-behind victory at Rupp. Give him his own show and see if anyone cares to listen to his yapper, and find someone to announce the games who actually pays attention to what's going on.

Once last night late in the game they had the "V" on camera at home, he had been "name dropping" as he usually does. This time though, during his babbling names they showed him reading them from a list. Some much for his great ability to just rattle off names you think he just pulls from his great memory bank of players. As I have thought for years he is full of BS. I, like you, just will not listen to a game with his useless babble. Many times I will just click to another channel.

He was screaming about the Super Bowl and waving a Bucs jersey right as Tennessee pulled off a stunning come-from-behind victory at Rupp. Give him his own show and see if anyone cares to listen to his yapper, and find someone to announce the games who actually pays attention to what's going on.

Exactly. Took the words from my mouth. I didn't watch the game bc we looked terrible 95% when I did watch. I woke up early this morning and just happened to pass by the SEC Network showing the last 3 minutes of the game. Dick Vitale acting like a very silly loud 13 year-old there at the end. I'm glad I didn't suffer through that game w/such a moron for two hours. He was acting crazy & very loud the last TN Vols broadcast. Why do we have to suffer for him to call our games ..... Geezus!!

It reminds me of the 1999 Fiesta Bowl. TN was about to win its first natty in about 40 years (not counting that weird one in 1967), it was the first ever with the new championship format, and as the game was winding down the ABC broadcast was all about Keith Jackson and his fake retirement.

I can understand how the announcers will discuss other topics when a team gets a double digit lead, but ESPN is losing its discipline. Now they just hop around topics while the Vols are mounting a major comeback. When that’s happening you focus on the game, not the Super Bowl or a charity. It’s just getting ridiculous.

I can understand how the announcers will discuss other topics when a team gets a double digit lead, but ESPN is losing its discipline. Now they just hop around topics while the Vols are mounting a major comeback. When that’s happening you focus on the game, not the Super Bowl or a charity. It’s just getting ridiculous.
They were rooting for Kentucky and didn't think the game was important anymore when Kentucky imploded and Tennessee took over.

ESPN is MSNBC ll and it's sucked for over a decade. I guess that's why they're losing so many viewers.

We seem to agree a lot on this forum, but this one - no. If anything ESPN is Fox II and it's sucked for over a decade. I guess that's why they're losing so many viewers and lawsuits. ;) Other than that, Go Vols! Peace!

I absolutely abhor what network reporting has done to all sporting events. I seldom watch any sports while listening to these overpaid snake oil barkers.

I always watch the game and listen to the Vol Network:cool:

If I had to defend ESPN's coverage of basketball games (something Dante would have incorporated into his "Inferno")...

I'd have to spin it that they're intentionally trying to recreate for the TV viewer the experience of watching the game at happy hour in a white collar bar in a progressive city on "Dollar Beer Night"... with the game you tuned in to watch bracketed by two other, louder TVs, one showing a sports news roundup and the other showing a special broadcast of "The View" with all-male hosts.

ESPN is all about and only about ESPN. It has become a self-important parody of itself. The events are merely devices to present the announcers.

If complaining viewers want to get a positive response from ESPN, they should request the announcers share more recipes during the game.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven:..."

I remember when he was fun. Now it's just painful.

Dick should watch games and count his money. His days as an announcer have passed.

Both sports broadcasting and generations of basketball players would've been better served if Vitale had remained a coach. He was good as a high school and college coach.

But--hey--TV is so important you can make a million dollars and a lifetime reputation by just repeating something like, "Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

I read on here yesterday that Peyton Manning is start a media network with Eli as commentator. Wouldn't it be nice if they started taking over the sports fans that ESPN has now and put them the rest of the way out? I have never liked to listen to a broadcast with Vitale. He just grates on my ears.

VN Store

Back