Eric Gray for Heisman?

This is a possibility because EG is very similar to Alvin Kamara in terms of running style, ability, and size. And we know that CJP will not underutilize EG the way CBJ misused Alvin Kamara

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The likelihood that EG is going to win or even be finalist for the Heisman is extremely low. However, it is refreshing to get excited about a player who has potential and appears to be a weapon that Jim Chaney will use in 2020. If we as Vol fans cannot get excited about that then WTF.

Gray literally had one good game against a bad defense, and in true Vol-off-season fashion, some of you want to talk about putting him on the Heisman watch list for next year.

It's comical really.
To be fair, ESPN and other outlets are hyping him, so it's not just our fans. I hope he is an All-American, but it's wild to me that people don't recognize what he actually did this season. I feel like a hater even talking about it, but the simple truth is he was less productive than Jordan prior to the Vandy game.

Reactions: RollerVol
With the way that Eric Gray finished this season, and with our Trey Smith returning and the addition of Cade Mays, I don't see why we shouldn't consider Eric Gray as a dark horse candidate for the Heisman next year. Things are lining up for him to have a huge year next season!
Woooo horsey

I could definitely see him being an All-SEC back but Heisman? If Peyton couldn’t win it, we will never see a Heisman winner. It would take an act of God.

With the way that Eric Gray finished this season, and with our Trey Smith returning and the addition of Cade Mays, I don't see why we shouldn't consider Eric Gray as a dark horse candidate for the Heisman next year. Things are lining up for him to have a huge year next season!

Are you serious?

He’s special, but not this year. I think he makes really big strides and singles himself out as one of the best backs in the league. But not Heisman.... not this year anywaysGBO

The likelihood that EG is going to win or even be finalist for the Heisman is extremely low. However, it is refreshing to get excited about a player who has potential and appears to be a weapon that Jim Chaney will use in 2020. If we as Vol fans cannot get excited about that then WTF.
EG for heisman till he isnt!

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
This is what a message board is for and a hope a whole lot more appear:cool: Things are looking up for the Tennessee football program and most people are happy about that;)
Well this is not the craziest thread in the last week. This one is just a little too soon. Like the OP drank all the Koolaid....

Oh... stop with the Heisman stuff. Even if he were the unquestioned best player in the country like, ahem, a past UT QB... the Heisman voters aren't going to give a Vol the Heisman. The Heisman is PURE politics. In any year, there are 30 or 40 worthy players.
Exactly! Even IF the "Heistman" trophy was legitimate, it's ludicrous to suggest that Eric Gray is a candidate. He is invaluable to the Vols, but that's no biggie. Peyton not receiving it made the "Heistman" irrelevant to me.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I get the hesitation but in all honesty. If our coaching staff does their job and develops Eric Gray, Wanya Morris and Darnell Wright to their potential...it should be very possible

What???
Average SEC Rbs don't rush for 250 yards against any other SEC team in one game.

The Heisman talk is silly however.
No, he’s average at this point. That 246 yard game included two runs where he didn’t get touched and ran free for 150 yards. The other 23 carries yielded 96 yards, 4.2 yards per carry. The 2 runs were great for the team but only proved that Eric could run untouched for a couple of long runs through gaping holes. Says more about our OL than our RB imho.

Look, it was great to see him put those numbers up that game, but it stood in stark contrast to the rest of his season where, with the exception of 4-5 fantastic “Barry Sanders-like” cuts on a dime, he pretty much just got knocked down and back much too easily. Hopefully an offseason getting bigger and much stronger really pays dividends for him and he looks like a stud SEC back in 2020.....until then though, he’s just a pretty average SEC running back.

VN Store

Back