Eric Gray for Heisman?

Kinda reminds me of Stanley Morgan.......as a RB.:)

I'm not saying Gray is a sloth or anything but I think Morgan could outrun him backwards. Gray's got decent speed but Morgan could fly.

As for the Heisman...that'd be a really, REALLY dark horse at this point. (though if he ends the season even with a hat tip of consideration that'd bode well for us)

Reactions: KBVol
I love the offseason . Nothing smells quite like it.
Like unicorns, leprechauns and victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCFisher
With the way that Eric Gray finished this season, and with our Trey Smith returning and the addition of Cade Mays, I don't see why we shouldn't consider Eric Gray as a dark horse candidate for the Heisman next year. Things are lining up for him to have a huge year next season!

Off with GBOplayers head! Off with his head.
For using a player's name to start a thread!

Maybe, if our OL is what we/hope it is, he may find a lot of holes to blast through. BUT given how ESPN screws our Vols at every opportunity, I wouldn't bet on it. Unless of course, he rushes for 2,900 yards and single-handedly stopped a Zeta Reticulan alien invasion.

How about we set our goal to win 8 regular season and 9 after a bowl next year.. That would be continued progress.. I don' t see Vols beating Florida, Georgia Oklahoma, or Alabama

I want to see us be able to line up and run the ball when the D thinks we’re gonna run the ball. If the OL can continue to improve I believe all of our backs can have Heisman moments...Chandler, Jordon and Gray all bring good skills to the RB position. Plus Fils-aime has great speed and toughness.
Continue to develop the OL and those guys will run wild.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Not seeing the Heisman it factor with Gray at all. Average SEC back.
It is too early to tell if he is going to be just average or good. I thought he did well for a freshman sharing carries & running behind a sub-par run blocking O line. You say he is average, but he did break Jamal’s freshman single game rushing record. That record he broke was over 20 years old. He looks like he has nice potential to excel at this level.

Last edited:
How about we set our goal to win 8 regular season and 9 after a bowl next year.. That would be continued progress.. I don' t see Vols beating Florida, Georgia Oklahoma, or Alabama

I think we upset one of those...but we need to ready so we aren’t upset by South Carolina, Kentucky, etc

We need to beat who we are supposed to beat and then upset at least one of the four you listed

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
It is too early to tell if he is going to be just average or good. I thought he did well for a freshman sharing carries & running behind a sub-par run blocking O line. You say he is average, but he did break Jamal’s freshman single game rushing record. That record he broke was over 20 years old. He looks like nice potential to excel at this level.

It is too early to tell, but Gray surpassed Lewis in a game against a terrible Vanderbillt, and Lewis set his record against a very good Georgia team.

No real comparison there.

It is too early to tell if he is going to be just average or good. I thought he did well for a freshman sharing carries & running behind a sub-par run blocking O line. You say he is average, but he did break Jamal’s freshman single game rushing record. That record he broke was over 20 years old. He looks like nice potential to excel at this level.

Go watch Lewis's highlights and get back to me. Gray made a couple of good cuts and outran a slow defense. Lewis was mauling full grown men.

It is too early to tell, but Gray surpassed Lewis in a game against a terrible Vanderbillt, and Lewis set his record against a very good Georgia team.

We should also note that Jamal Lewis had 232 carries for 1,364 yards that season. We knew he was a monster from the jump.

Agreed but no other UT freshman RB rushed for that many yards against any Vandy team during that period of time either. He will most likely never be anywhere close to Lewis but hopefully a Charlie Garner Type.

Go watch Lewis's highlights and get back to me. Gray made a couple of good cuts and outran a slow defense. Lewis was mauling full grown men.

I watched every single game Jamal played at UT. I never said EG was as good as Lewis & know he is not. Gray did put himself with elite company with that performance against Vandy. That is all I am pointing out.

Some of you are building up for a let down. We all hope for the best but cmon. Let's see if we can take down Oklahoma and Florida before we get to hyped.

Agreed but no other UT freshman RB rushed for that many yards against any Vandy team during that period of time either. He will most likely never be anywhere close to Lewis but hopefully a Charlie Garner Type.

Vanderbilt had the 115th worst rushing defense in all of college football in 2019, they averaged allowing 208 rushing YPG.

Context is key.

Reactions: Rockyjr
Tied for 87th with Illinois in rushing offense.

Gray literally had one good game against a bad defense, and in true Vol-off-season fashion, some of you want to talk about putting him on the Heisman watch list for next year.

It's comical really.
Where did I say that in any post? Go back to the first page and read my first post.

Yep it's the off season. Gray for Heisman, King coming onboard already annointed with the Heisman.

VN Store

Back