Enough with the "We are back" talk

Look, I don't fancy myself as a negavol, but the sunshine pumping on this side of the site is unbearable. To read some of your posts, you would think that the Vols will compete for the NC next year. All I'm saying is slow your roll and calm down your expectations. If you have been a Tennessee fan for as long as I have, and most of you have been, you know Tennessee football has the remarkable tendency to let us down. That's all I'm saying. So stop linking stupid CF articles from journalists just trying to rack up hits to show their editors. Like I said, we will only be back when we beat someone, and not a moment before.

Reading something possibly unrealistic is "unbearable" to you? Better toughen up if you're going to be on a message board, where people will type the crap out of an opinion. :aggressive:

Reading something possibly unrealistic is "unbearable" to you? Better toughen up if you're going to be on a message board, where people will type the crap out of an opinion. :aggressive:

MrOrangemoron needs to get a grip and stop telling people how to think. If he doesn't like optimism there are many other Tennessee Vols message boards he can post on the many other Tennessee message boards out there

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Look, I don't fancy myself as a negavol, but the sunshine pumping on this side of the site is unbearable. To read some of your posts, you would think that the Vols will compete for the NC next year. All I'm saying is slow your roll and calm down your expectations. If you have been a Tennessee fan for as long as I have, and most of you have been, you know Tennessee football has the remarkable tendency to let us down. That's all I'm saying. So stop linking stupid CF articles from journalists just trying to rack up hits to show their editors. Like I said, we will only be back when we beat someone, and not a moment before.

No

Reactions: 2 people

Not so much unbearable as it is sad. I have no problem being optimistic, I very much am for the first time in a long time, but this happens year after year. That's the point. Just slow down the expectations some and then we as a fan base won't be disappointed when the team goes 8-4 nest year.

MrOrangemoron needs to get a grip and stop telling people how to think. If he doesn't like optimism there are many other Tennessee Vols message boards he can post on the many other Tennessee message boards out there

Yo Ducktown Dave apparently we can be civil over in the weather thread but when it comes to the FF, it's on! Geeze...

Low expectations is a losers mentality. Look at those who hold negative views of the future Vols in light of our recent upswing and you'll undoubtedly see someone who is never optimistic. Finding negativity in things (like coaching hires) they know nothing about and telling people to expect less is their mantra. Everyone knows somebody like this, we just always try to avoid them.

Reactions: 4 people
Low expectations is a losers mentality. Look at those who hold negative views of the future Vols in light of our recent upswing and you'll undoubtedly see someone who is never optimistic. Finding negativity in things (like coaching hires) they know nothing about and telling people to expect less is their mantra. Everyone knows somebody like this, we just always try to avoid them.

+1000000000000:hi:

Not so much unbearable as it is sad. I have no problem being optimistic, I very much am for the first time in a long time, but this happens year after year. That's the point. Just slow down the expectations some and then we as a fan base won't be disappointed when the team goes 8-4 nest year.

Why is it sad? Please explain this. Because a small fraction of the posters on here (just like with any topic) goes crazy when it doesn't happen?

I'm sorry. My stance always has been and always will be....I go into every weekend wanting and believing my team will win. I go into every season wanting and believing my team at least COULD win the NC. I'm almost 51 years old and have been a fan for over 40 years. All but one of those years has fallen short of what I wanted or believed could happen, yet I still enjoy Tennessee Football.

Reactions: 2 people
Why is it sad? Please explain this. Because a small fraction of the posters on here (just like with any topic) goes crazy when it doesn't happen?

I'm sorry. My stance always has been and always will be....I go into every weekend wanting and believing my team will win. I go into every season wanting and believing my team at least COULD win the NC. I'm almost 51 years old and have been a fan for over 40 years. All but one of those years has fallen short of what I wanted or believed could happen, yet I still enjoy Tennessee Football.

Absolutely agree. What I expect is what I would hope our football program expects. Shoot for the stars and if you fall short, so be it. Aim low and you'll never reach the stars...

And so have I friend. I was at Florida and Alabama believing that we would win, but knowing that realistically it probably wouldn't happen. I love my Vols and I want them to succeed, but the optimism associated with the Vols lately is simply unrealistic. We can't beat Missouri or Flordia at home but we have people who really believe we make it to the Sugar Bowl? I want more than anything for us to make it to the Sugar Bowl, but I am also a realist. Thus, we are not back until we beat someone. Period and anything that says otherwise is only leading other Vols fans down the same path as usual: disappointment.

And so have I friend. I was at Florida and Alabama believing that we would win, but knowing that realistically it probably wouldn't happen. I love my Vols and I want them to succeed, but the optimism associated with the Vols lately is simply unrealistic. We can't beat Missouri or Flordia at home but we have people who really believe we make it to the Sugar Bowl? I want more than anything for us to make it to the Sugar Bowl, but I am also a realist. Thus, we are not back until we beat someone. Period and anything that says otherwise is only leading other Vols fans down the same path as usual: disappointment.

So, by your logic. Alabama, Oregon, and every other Div 1 teams fans should lower their expectations because they lost? Get a grip dude, quit worrying about things that have yet to happen. Every season is a new season.

So, by your logic. Alabama, Oregon, and every other Div 1 teams fans should lower their expectations because they lost? Get a grip dude, quit worrying about things that have yet to happen. Every season is a new season.

You are right. It is a new season. So was 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Shoot for 8-4 and shut up about a NC or SEC Championship. Then, if it happens it will be icing on the cake. Why is my position so unjustifiable?

I say the first of this in jest but you better believe all the rest.

Some of us welcome you here to our place, even if you have a giant lizzard face.

Even though your swamp smells like a sewer, know that soon your Wins over us will become fewer and fewer.

You've had your days of winning too many, but starting next season those days against us end, on that you can bet a bright new penny.

Next season we come to play in your place, when we leave, there will be tears running down your fans face.

Your days of winning against our Vols are coming to a end, on this my friend you can surely depend.

Your D will be good but ours will be BEAST, at the end the score will show your big lizzards will have the least.

We hope you'll come again and visit us soon, but after we drain your swamp your fans can howl at the moon.

You've had a nice streak and you've enjoyed your ride, our streak starts next season and we'll carry it with pride.

Now we'll leave you thinking of our song, because next season your swamp will hear "Rocky Top" all day long.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

PS...You may reply back to this on my thread where I list the reasons and explain the logic of why next season we WIN against your big lizzards. :)

I decided to play along and had fun with this and responded in your thread.

I agree. I think the only time I didn't think we COULD do it since 1985 were the last few years. Starting this year, I am back to the mindset of they COULD do it.

This isn't a shot at you or your opinion of such, but we Vol fans are a hardy lot. Every year I hear someone issue a qualifier such as "Prepare for disappointment" or "soften the meltdown". The 2005 season where we were a preseason # 1 and ended up with Fulmer's first losing season, prepared me for cruel curveballs of fate. There are exceptions on here, but the vast majority of us can handle disappointment like champs...hope I didn't speak out of turn. :hi:

You are right. It is a new season. So was 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Shoot for 8-4 and shut up about a NC or SEC Championship. Then, if it happens it will be icing on the cake. Why is my position so unjustifiable?

why does your position need to be my position?

In the off season the Vol's can't lose, if the Vol's are not losing, they must be winning

Heck, I am optimistic about 2015. We already have one win in 2015 (Iowa). That is more than Alabama can say (Ohio State).

You are right. It is a new season. So was 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Shoot for 8-4 and shut up about a NC or SEC Championship.

In none of those years did we win 4 of our last 5...or finish the season with a bowl win. None of those seasons was precluded by twin top-5 recruiting classes, either.

But whatever...pardon our enthusiasm.

We are not back until we beat someone. And we all know Iowa does not count.

Shut up. Only you and a few others feel like this.

If we lost to Iowa you would be singing the fire butch song.

So go back to playing you sad songs about how bad your life is and let these kids enjoy them selves.

VN Store

Back