Elliott on not taking UT job.

I hate to say it, but I find myself not respecting that perspective very much.

It seems as if Elliott doesn't trust himself and his own skills enough to succeed under trying conditions. That he only believes he can do well if things are handed to him on a platter, relatively speaking.

By comparison, Josh Heupel seems supremely confident. He certainly seems significantly more self-assured than Tony Elliott, at this point in time.

He's trying to find a "sure thing" and maybe he'll find it but what he will more than likely find is a rude awakening.

Reminds me of Fulmer after he got fired the first time. When asked about coaching again, he would state “it has to be the right situation”. In other words, it had to already be a successful and winning program!

Reactions: cgrish and OllVol
I hate to say it, but I find myself not respecting that perspective very much.

It seems as if Elliott doesn't trust himself and his own skills enough to succeed under trying conditions. That he only believes he can do well if things are handed to him on a platter, relatively speaking.

By comparison, Josh Heupel seems supremely confident. He certainly seems significantly more self-assured than Tony Elliott, at this point in time.

Exactly, bottom line, he just doesn't want to work that hard. He's comfy as an OC at Clemson, making great $s and recognition. If Saban leaves and Bama calls, sure he'll go or same for Dabo if he leaves for the Tide someday, he'll takeover at Clemson.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Fug that guy. He's got Beldar type results written all over him. He's pussified spoiled and needs it handed to him on a silver platter. He would have failed miserably. CJH might not have been the first choice but he's got balls and I'll take that all day long over some football nerd using the "right fit" excuse.

White said our current coach was the ONLY one offered the job!

Come on man, we all know better than that. It's an old tired and fake line used by AD's. Of course nobody else was offered because they didn't say they would accept if one was given. Same playbook used for decades.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
What do you expect him to say? “well, UT was really going after Franklin, and I got tired of waiting, got my raise and pulled my name.”
I certainly wouldn't expect a coach who might want to be a head coach one day to flat out say he isn't willing to put any effort into building a winning program and that he just wants one handed to him. That is literally the most pathetic thing I have heard a coach say that is looking for advancement one day. I had hoped at one time he would get a job at UT but after hearing what he said I am thrilled we didn't get him.

So he wanted the opportunity to "win now". IOW, wanted to walk into a loaded roster on a winning program.

What, he doesn't think he can build a winning program in 3-4 years?

Hmmm...
He thought he'd be fired here in 3-4 years, and he's probably right.

Last edited:
Figured these comments would be exactly what I assumed they would be 😆😆
Wish Elliot all the best. It is what it is.

Can’t wait to see what Huepul puts on the field and the length of time before the FAHR Huepel BS starts when he loses a game or two.. Again, it is what it is.

Scott Frost??

Frost took over for Oleary and just HC coach 2 years 2016 & 17. So Frost had Oleary's players and Heupel ended up with a mix of Frost and Oleary players and played with 10 Covid Opt outs in 2020. So Huepel has had to deal with a lot of change and different dynamics. Just hope he takes that next step taking over a sanctioned team in toughest conference.

What is the benefit of this article? Does it help Tony Elliot, no because now he seems not willing to work to build something special and is only willing to take a program that someone else has done the heavy lifting on. It doesn’t help the university as it puts Tony Elliot on the record saying he doesn’t believe the environment and support exists here for him to be successful. I am glad we got someone who is willing to take on this challenge.

No, he sounds calculated and intelligent. For every Kirby Smart there are a dozen Chad Morris type guys. They're a hot commodity until they take the wrong job. Then 5 years later they're right back where they were if not worse.

UT is not a place you go to take a step forward in your career. It's where you go before you end up coaching TEs with the Giants, a defensive QC assistant with the Giants or at Arkansas St (after a long rehab with the greatest coach in history).

And UT is likely in a worse spot than at any time in modern history. I'm surprised we didn't have to pull someone up from FCS.

UT is the place you step forward in your career at. The issue is we have been hiring guys not suited to the job. Kiffin was the best hire we have made but circumstances caused him to leave after one year here. Next best was Butch Jones who recruited well but was too arrogant to allow his beloved system to evolve while here.

We just need the right guy. Look at Bama before Saban. They went through many coaches before finding their guy. Everyone wants to drive an F1 car but most can’t handle the power nor pressure of pushing the vehicle to its limits to succeed. Is that the car’s fault or the driver? We have the resources to succeed, we have the fan support, we have the pedigree. We just need that person who embraces the pressure and is willing to do the work to get us back to winning. It’s going to take a lot of work but the right guy will be a legend here.

VN Store

Back