Elliott on not taking UT job.

I hate to say it, but I find myself not respecting that perspective very much.

It seems as if Elliott doesn't trust himself and his own skills enough to succeed under trying conditions. That he only believes he can do well if things are handed to him on a platter, relatively speaking.

By comparison, Josh Heupel seems supremely confident. He certainly seems significantly more self-assured than Tony Elliott, at this point in time.

Guess I can't dog him too much, it is his life and his choice. Glad he didn't come here though! I want someone who's up for the challenge, and we all are well aware of how big of a challenge the job is right now. Can't say that a part of me doesn't think that those are some pretty wussy comments though. Definitely not a job for the meek!

I hate to say it, but I find myself not respecting that perspective very much.

It seems as if Elliott doesn't trust himself and his own skills enough to succeed under trying conditions. That he only believes he can do well if things are handed to him on a platter, relatively speaking.

By comparison, Josh Heupel seems supremely confident. He certainly seems significantly more self-assured than Tony Elliott, at this point in time.
What do you expect him to say? “well, UT was really going after Franklin, and I got tired of waiting, got my raise and pulled my name.”

Guess I can't dog him too much, it is his life and his choice. Glad he didn't come here though! I want someone who's up for the challenge, and we all are well aware of how big of a challenge the job is right now. Can't say that a part of me doesn't think that those are some pretty wussy comments though. Definitely not a job for the meek!

And yet there will be people posting here after our first loss this fall declaring CJH “in over his head” and we should cut ties now and go hire freeze. Guaranteed.

To me but I am not very smart , This sounds like a silver spoon shoved in sideways type of guy.
No, he sounds calculated and intelligent. For every Kirby Smart there are a dozen Chad Morris type guys. They're a hot commodity until they take the wrong job. Then 5 years later they're right back where they were if not worse.

UT is not a place you go to take a step forward in your career. It's where you go before you end up coaching TEs with the Giants, a defensive QC assistant with the Giants or at Arkansas St (after a long rehab with the greatest coach in history).

And UT is likely in a worse spot than at any time in modern history. I'm surprised we didn't have to pull someone up from FCS.

No, he sounds calculated and intelligent. For every Kirby Smart there are a dozen Chad Morris type guys. They're a hot commodity until they take the wrong job. Then 5 years later they're right back where they were if not worse.

UT is not a place you go to take a step forward in your career. It's where you go before you end up coaching TEs with he Giants, a defensive assistant with the Giants or at Arkansas St (after a long rehab with the greatest coach in history).

And It is likely in a worse spot than at any time in modern history. I'm surprised we didn't have to pull someone up from FCS.
I agree with this,, but his comments if not misquoted made me believe he did not want to work for it but have it handed to him.
If i'm wrong then I am wrong...but still saying silver spoon sideways stuff.

He's not wrong and he's not the guy for the job. The last thing we need is another experiment with an coordinator from another team being promoted to coach on our dime. We needed somebody who has head coaching experience. I'm not saying JH is "the guy". But he's our best shot since Kiffin.

UT is not a place you go to take a step forward in your career. It's where you go before you end up coaching TEs with the Giants, a defensive QC assistant with the Giants or at Arkansas St (after a long rehab with the greatest coach in history).

And UT is likely in a worse spot than at any time in modern history. I'm surprised we didn't have to pull someone up from FCS.
You make some good points and could be right. On the flip side, though, it is an SEC gig with a decent budget and good facilities. On TV every game. Takes some big b**** and apparently he doesn't have them!

VN Store

Back