Elliott on not taking UT job.

Phil Fulmer understands that. Majors did not have an empty cupboard. Would Fulmer have taken the Tn job when Majors did? I think not.
I think you misunderstand Phillip Fulmer.

He would have taken the Tennessee head coaching job any time it was offered, under any conditions. He has never lacked self-confidence. It was his dream job.

Guess he wants Urban Meyer "Win Now" type of programs were he just comes in to a full cupboard every time. Good luck with that thought process. Or better yet, stay up under your boy Dabo your whole career and remain afraid to be your own man.

It really sucks because we would have been significantly better off with Elliot and ended up with 3rd or 4th choice

Some fans don’t want to admit it but Tennessee isn’t a attractive job right now and hasn’t been in a long time it’s a dead end job and a graveyard for coaches. I would argue that right now Kentucky and South Carolina are more attractive jobs than Tennessee.

Yeah, nothing sounds better than coaching at Kroger Field and Williams Brice Stadium. 🙄

He's right. Can anybody name one coach that has coached here and improved their stock? It's a dead end job and has been for a very long time. Good business decision. Heat was already turning up on JH so smart move to follow your buddy and get a nice pay increase

I'm sure TE is a fine man. Everything I've read indicates that. HOWEVER, rarely would it be advised for a coordinator (or even an assistant coach) to take an SEC job for the first head coaching experience. It's been done successfully but for the most part you are setting up a man for failure. That's just the fact of it. I remember even when a program on the level of Memphis hired the assistant from LSU (Larry Porter I think was his name) who had never even coordinated in college. That man was destined to failure right from the start. Even a program on that level. And in just a couple of years the program was as low as it had ever been (and brother that's LOW).... Tony made the right decision for him AND FOR US!. Clearly he's a great coordinator (granted he's doing it with top level talent) but still needs to find his way as a head coach like the vast majority do. Hopefully, (I pull for the good guys and he seems that) one day he will be a successful head coach.

Reactions: tbh
I’m thinking him saying “no comment” would have been a reasonable response.

Yes. This guy made a jack@$$ out of himself in this story, unless you hate Tennessee, then he was 'dealin' it'

Here is a fantastic sample response he could have given, had he any degree of humility and professionalism:

"Tennessee presented a fantastic opportunity, and I am confident Josh [Heupel] will do very well there. They are a fantastic program with a great history, one which I am sure will answer its current challenges with determination. That said, I am in a fantastic place here at Clemson, both personally and professionally, and did not feel it was the right time or circumstance to take the next step. I am 100% committed to winning the National Championship here in 2021, and will evaluate any future opportunities I am fortunate to receive at the appropriate time."

Sure, it's coachspeak, but that is what you need in this case. He didn't do that, and, as stated above, made somewhat of a $%^& of himself.

He's right. Can anybody name one coach that has coached here and improved their stock? It's a dead end job and has been for a very long time. Good business decision. Heat was already turning up on JH so smart move to follow your buddy and get a nice pay increase

Improve their stock?

Any coach who comes to UT and wins is going to stay at UT as long as the coach wants to be a P5 head football coach. Winning at Tennessee means winning in the SEC. It's top of the food chain. Tennessee is down obviously, but when/if they find a winning coach, there is nothing any school could offer that Tennessee could not.

And, as we have seen, coaches who lose here get shown the door. But, it's that way at most schools.

I think you mis-characterize Saban and consequently any comparison between Saban and Elliott.

First, you should have said that Saban did what Elliott would LIKE TO DO...because Elliott hasn't done anything yet, other than turn down an opportunity.

But second and most importantly, Saban--unlike Elliott--has self-confidence. He had self-confidence when he coached at Michigan State. He had self-confidence when he coached at LSU. He even had self-confidence while he was with Miami. And he had self-confidence when he took the Bama job. The same kind of self-confidence Tony Elliott seems to sorely lack.

Saban went to Bama because (a) he wasn't having as much fun in the NFL as he thought he would, while he and Terry realized they enjoyed college life much more, (b) Bama was throwing lots of $$ at him, (c) they promised him, by all accounts a control freak, an unusual level of control over all aspects of the program, and (d) it was a place where top-end success is ultimately possible.

I think Saban might have taken any job that met those four conditions. Even a place under conditions such as Tennessee faces right now. As long as those four conditions existed.

So what might superficially seem like similarities (Saban walked into a job set up for success; Elliott would like to walk into a job set up for success), hides very different personalities and motivations. It doesn't seem to be a very helpful comparison.

But I like and agree with you about Josh Heupel. Glad we have him aboard.

Go Vols!
Doubtful. All you have to do is look at the last two HC searches for Tennessee to see how coaches view the Tennessee job. With the incoming sanctions, administration, and recent on field results, it’s just not an attractive job at this time. It certainly has the potential to be a top 15 job, but ignoring the current issues surrounding UT is a bit ridiculous.

Improve their stock?

Any coach who comes to UT and wins is going to stay at UT as long as the coach wants to be a P5 head football coach. Winning at Tennessee means winning in the SEC. It's top of the food chain. Tennessee is down obviously, but when/if they find a winning coach, there is nothing any school could offer that Tennessee could not.

And, as we have seen, coaches who lose here get shown the door. But, it's that way at most schools.
that is an awfully big if

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Some upset people in this thread. The guy told no lies. It's not just being an embarrassment on the field that has us in a bad place. Everything about Tennessee's football program is currently bad. He knows he will get offers from programs not getting their teeth kicked in, making poor leadership choices, and NCAA sanctions ahead.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I'd love to believe you but the last "outside the family" hire to have sustained success was Dickey in the 1965-1969 era. There's no way we hire a coach with a NC under his belt without him being a hometown boy(Johnny). Phil, arguably the best HC since Neyland was a Dabo-type stroke of luck that was already on staff.

Hiring Saban, with an NC under his belt to a Bama program that was one year removed from a 10 win season is a far cry from hiring Josh Heupel, who has coached 30ish games at a mid-major to this dumpster fire.

I'm not down on Heupel, I'm actually surprised he took the job. I sincerely thought we'd have to settle for another coordinator or an FCS HC.

My point is I think Saban did exactly what Tony Eliott did. It's not like he took over Miss St. Bama had talent in the roster and was a sleeping giant.

Bama got lucky with Saban. He went to the NFL and stunk the place up. We have been lucky to have had Majors and Fulmer so until recently we didn’t have to go outside the family for a hire. After Kiffin if we would have let him bring his staff we could have had Cutcliffe who would have been much better than Dooley. Look at Oklahoma and Ohio St. both of which hired from within for their current coaches. Georgia with Smart and to an extent Mullen at Florida (Since he was on Meyers’s staff at FL) stuck with the family as well. So that formula seems to work well if you have talented coordinators or former players.

So embracing the school’s tradition and overall fit plays an important part. There just aren’t that many NC caliber coaches out there. If each hire we make would stop cratering the program before they get canned we would be much more attractive. However many of our past coordinators that were worth their salt are at the end of their careers and our crop of former players coaching hasn’t produced any quality HC talent yet.

I think you misunderstand Phillip Fulmer.

He would have taken the Tennessee head coaching job any time it was offered, under any conditions. He has never lacked self-confidence. It was his dream job.
Ok, maybe a better statement then would be, would he have won immediately and so much early on without being set up by Majors? I think not.

VN Store

Back