Electric Vehicles

Ours is 100k but the interior is unbelievably perfect. I spent 3 hours last night polishing oxidation from the spoiler and headlights, got it looking pretty darn good. Just a few paint chips I still need to do.

The scourge of the new headlights. Have you found anything that really works (other than replacement) to make headlight covers clear again?

My buddy brought his Z06 to meet me at the golf course yesterday evening. I have to admit I got a little jelly when he fired her up. That's a mean-sounding engine.

My buddy has an ev truck and he really likes it he said it accelerates really fast

The scourge of the new headlights. Have you found anything that really works (other than replacement) to make headlight covers clear again?
Meguire's Ultimate Compound, pad, and lots of elbow grease. Works great on superficial paint scratches, oxidation, etc too. I had my Jeep looking nearly brand new despite plenty of experience in brush/at Windrock/etc.

Reactions: AM64
I was behind a Lexus yesterday with a "Scream" type decal on the back and blood tears under the taillights. My thought was "Oh, well"

I was a passenger in a friends 69 Z28 back in 80's
No headlights from Brainerd Rd to Hixson at night.
Butt puckered the whole way.

Hey EV owners! Congrats on destroying the earth!

Natural News) The idea that electric vehicles (EVs) are somehow good for the environment is an absolute joke.

Energy analyst Mark P. Mills dropped a few bombshells this week debunking the myth that Teslas and other heaps of electric junk are “clean” or “green.” Truth be told, EVs are far worse for the environment than internal combustion engine vehicles that run on gasoline or petrol.

“You have to dig up about 500,000 pounds of materials to make a single 1,000-pound battery,” said Mills, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a faculty fellow at Northwestern University‘s McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science.

EVs are NOT zero emissions: It takes 500,000 pounds of earth material to build a single 1,000-pound battery

Meguire's Ultimate Compound, pad, and lots of elbow grease. Works great on superficial paint scratches, oxidation, etc too. I had my Jeep looking nearly brand new despite plenty of experience in brush/at Windrock/etc.
3M makes a good one also. Comes with the drill attachment and 3 grits of abrasive, works really well. Then apply the UV coat to it or they'll haze up in short order. Recommend removing the lamp assembly or you could take some paint off if painted trim is around the lenses. Or mask of with multiple layers of tape.

Reactions: AM64 and SlipKidVol
Have a quick question I have been wondering. I know that gas stations in Oregon don't have self service pumps. Do the electrical charging stations require an attendant as well? Thanks just a dumb question I thought of.

Actually, I really appreciate that question. It never crossed my mind. Originally the state of Oregon passed a safety law (probably back around 1915 or so) that given the fire risk of refueling gas vehicles that employees of gas stations who where trained in refueling should be the ones pumping gas. As for electric recharging, maybe we've moved on past that. I do think that one reason Oregon has never allowed pumping ones own gas is related to people not wanting to get out of their cars in the rain and pumping gas. Yes the reasons have changed. And it feels like the pumping gas laws in Oregon will likely change to match the rest of the nation in a few years.

Reactions: tntar heel
Actually, I really appreciate that question. It never crossed my mind. Originally the state of Oregon passed a safety law (probably back around 1915 or so) that given the fire risk of refueling gas vehicles that employees of gas stations who where trained in refueling should be the ones pumping gas. As for electric recharging, maybe we've moved on past that. I do think that one reason Oregon has never allowed pumping ones own gas is related to people not wanting to get out of their cars in the rain and pumping gas. Yes the reasons have changed. And it feels like the pumping gas laws in Oregon will likely change to match the rest of the nation in a few years.

Years ago one of those trained “petroleum transfer engineers“ in NJ almost put gas in my diesel pickup. I don’t know if NJ still has a similar law as OR about pumping your own gas.

Reactions: StarRaider and AM64
Years ago one of those trained “petroleum transfer engineers“ in NJ almost put gas in my diesel pickup. I don’t know if NJ still has a similar law as OR about pumping your own gas.

I started to fill my own tank in OR several years ago without knowing that OR is "special"; I thought the attendant was going to have a stroke. One thing about it is that if you lift the nozzle and start to put it in the car, they get real fast in filling your car.

I am in South Africa right now and, while it is a small sample size, they pump gas for you as well at the places I have stopped.

LOL I do believe New Jersey is the ONLY state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas. Oregon has started allowing people to pump their own gas is some situations. Additionally, the Oregon state house voted (March 2023) 47-10 to allow people to pump their own gas. Don't know if it will go through or not, but this change is finally coming in Oregon.

I am in South Africa right now and, while it is a small sample size, they pump gas for you as well at the places I have stopped.

Business or vacation? We were in S Africa, Zimbabwe, and Botswana in 2019 for a little over 3 weeks and had a great time. The flight between Atlanta and Johannesburg is looonngg.

Thousands of Americans Try To Take Advantage of Biden's Solar Subsidies. They Can't Connect to a Power Grid.

Shortly after President Joe Biden offered tax credits to anyone buying solar panels, a Colorado homeowner named Stacie took out loans to install $30,000 worth of panels on her roof. Nearly six months later, however, those panels sat unused, generating no power.

The problem seemed to have a simple fix: Stacie's energy provider merely needed to hook the panels up to its power grid—but there's no room.

Increased demand driven by Biden's green subsidies, combined with inadequate power grid capacity, has left thousands of green energy projects like Stacie's without power, rendering them useless. "When you put out $30,000, you sign loans, and don't have a working product, it's frustrating," Stacie told a local reporter. "There is no communication."

Stacie's predicament reflects a significant snag in Biden's green energy revolution. While the hundreds of billions of dollars in green energy spending allocated through the Inflation Reduction Act led to a flood of new wind and solar projects, America's antiquated power grid is not ready to accommodate them. Nearly 1,300 gigawatts worth of green energy projects, for example, are waiting to be connected to power, according to a recent Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report. The country's entire electric grid has an installed power capacity of just 1,250 gigawatts.

Thousands of Americans Try To Take Advantage of Biden's Solar Subsidies. They Can't Connect to a Power Grid.

Would you rather load your basement's coal furnace every morning, or flip a switch for your heat/cooling ?

How many of us in this Forum left our computers, freezers and a few ext safety lamps running over night ?

How many of us prefer a battery powered saw and drill (charged on the Grid) Vs a gas powered drill ?

How many of us left our phones running over night (which will soon need to be repowered from the Grid) ?

Shortly after President Joe Biden offered tax credits to anyone buying solar panels, a Colorado homeowner named Stacie took out loans to install $30,000 worth of panels on her roof. Nearly six months later, however, those panels sat unused, generating no power.

The problem seemed to have a simple fix: Stacie's energy provider merely needed to hook the panels up to its power grid—but there's no room.

Increased demand driven by Biden's green subsidies, combined with inadequate power grid capacity, has left thousands of green energy projects like Stacie's without power, rendering them useless. "When you put out $30,000, you sign loans, and don't have a working product, it's frustrating," Stacie told a local reporter. "There is no communication."

Stacie's predicament reflects a significant snag in Biden's green energy revolution. While the hundreds of billions of dollars in green energy spending allocated through the Inflation Reduction Act led to a flood of new wind and solar projects, America's antiquated power grid is not ready to accommodate them. Nearly 1,300 gigawatts worth of green energy projects, for example, are waiting to be connected to power, according to a recent Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report. The country's entire electric grid has an installed power capacity of just 1,250 gigawatts.

The pro solar people have ignored and tried to get everyone else to ignore how lopsided solar power generation is. You really can pump out tremendous amounts of power during the day ... when the weather is good. Problem is that the real people who generate power and who build the infrastructure to transfer power are left hanging with huge capital and operations and maintenance costs while the people with subsidized solar panels at least think they can make out like bandits. Somebody has to pay for the costs of idled plants when solar power is adding power to the grid - and it shouldn't be the average customer. That's not even getting to the problems with maintaining system voltage and especially frequency when power outputs from the non utility side is bouncing up and down. This is like letting a bunch of kids loose to dump ingredients into a batter while the baker has no control over them - only far more out of control and with far more serious consequences.

The pro solar people have ignored and tried to get everyone else to ignore how lopsided solar power generation is. You really can pump out tremendous amounts of power during the day ... when the weather is good. Problem is that the real people who generate power and who build the infrastructure to transfer power are left hanging with huge capital and operations and maintenance costs while the people with subsidized solar panels at least think they can make out like bandits. Somebody has to pay for the costs of idled plants when solar power is adding power to the grid - and it shouldn't be the average customer. That's not even getting to the problems with maintaining system voltage and especially frequency when power outputs from the non utility side is bouncing up and down. This is like letting a bunch of kids loose to dump ingredients into a batter while the baker has no control over them - only far more out of control and with far more serious consequences.
Excellent point. What happens to the power plants that are built, but only allowed to operate at night because of solar power during the day. Most of the machinery that I've been involved with didn't like to shut down, it needed to be kept running 24/7. Thermal cycling even electronics just invites disaster.

Good to see that somebody is finally paying attention to the energy problem. Although they are still finding it too convenient to ignore the environmental costs that go into wind and solar power manufacturing and disposal. One thing they didn't cover well in the article was the coal plant retirements. They help tremendously for peaking needs; but if they are idled for long periods during peak solar generation, then obviously that changes the the income/cost ratio and skews the equation to favor closing those plants - especially with environmentalists screaming about them.

That shifts the equation to NG powered generation because nuclear is generally fixed - we aren't building anything soon - only shutting down. That's a double whammy for the unaware consumer who now is facing electric power generators as competitors for NG. You can't trade back and forth between NG or electric power for cost purposes because the electric generation industry has just taken your energy financial independence and choice away from you - destroyed the cost vs opportunity option to switch to a lower cost energy source. Worse NG is traded and prices set by commodities markets - not the buyer and seller directly. We as consumers definitely don't compete with utilities for uranium and not much for coal these days; NG is a whole different story ... unless the dems foolishly kill it for private use.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
Excellent point. What happens to the power plants that are built, but only allowed to operate at night because of solar power during the day. Most of the machinery that I've been involved with didn't like to shut down, it needed to be kept running 24/7. Thermal cycling even electronics just invites disaster.

The best you can do is run large plants at idle, but that still means using fuel and keeping the plant staffed, and it only works for coal and NG fired plants - increases cost. You can't ramp nuclear plants up and down or load follow; they are basically base load or nothing. Ramping large plants up and down involves a lot of cycling whether thermal in piping and components or opening/closing controls like valves. As an engineer, you know we tend to rate component and material life on the number of cycles. The people who ignore all this are either fools, insane, or just don't know enough to be in position to make decisions.

Hard to believe in the infancy of nuclear power that one peaking solution was to generate for the max and just “waste” the excess because nuclear was supposed to be so cheap. All residential customers would pay a fixed monthly rate….big coal couldn’t let that happen so that solution was regulated out of business

VN Store

Back