Edie Darby commits to Tennessee

Have never really understood why people in the basketball world get so hung up on classification when it comes to recruiting.

I’ll agree there is a definite difference in speed to the game, but all classifications produce really athletic kids.

Some of the best, most athletic people I’ve known played at single A schools and were from small towns. Didn’t used to make that much difference. If you could play, you could play. In the basketball world today it seems like if you don’t go to some magnate sports academy and play 6A you can’t get a look. Like suddenly only large schools can produce athletic, competitive kids?

One of my best friends growing up was an excellent basketball and softball player. We grew up in a small town at a single A school. Her teams won two state championships in both sports. She scored 40+ pts on several occasions and was a great Pg at 5’7”. Set the all time records for points and asssits at a school that had won 9 womens championships in basketball.

She was recruited heavily by softball programs and they didn’t give a lick where she went to school. Ended up playing softball at a good D1 school. She would have preferred to play basketball in college but couldn’t get a sniff from recruiters because she did not play AAU heavily and was a multi-sport athlete who didn’t focus only on basketball.

Ended up playing some pickup with the basketball team and the coach was flabbergasted nobody recruited her to play basketball. He tried to sign her as a two sport athlete.

Last edited:
edia darby sister of tess darby commits to lady vols govol247 it says she 5 8 i said look taller than 5 6. some should post link.
in edia commits kelly tells edia dad tenn wants her. edia agree to walk on to help tenn numbers. she was turning down offers. so tenn see's her more than a walkon just saying.

in edia commits kelly tells edia dad tenn wants her. edia agree to walk on to help tenn numbers. she was turning down offers. so tenn see's her more than a walkon just saying.

I think she looks about 5’8” from her photos. Tess is 6’1” and Kellie is 5’10”

Also think Tess seems to have grown since last season. Could just be that she’s grown in muscle and physicality, but she somehow looks taller as well.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That’s my other thought. A player like Edie might hold up better.
greenfield yellow jackets vs peabody she more walker size than miles game from dec. anyway go vols247 says edia 5 8. she big enough to play point guard. watch game love miles but edia got few inches on her. we know miles can play. maybe its time for she to small bull to stop. anyway nice of edia to walk on. so cut the girl a break.

Not turning the ball over in High School is one thing but against SEC defenders is another. I can see her running off screens to knock down shots but that’s it as of now. She’s one that I would have to see it to believe it. Honestly, I hope she does because it only means she’ll be great for the team
I have watched a lot of high school and turnovers are much higher there than in college basketball. I agree that defenses in colleges and the SEC are much better compared to high school, Burt when you find a player who has fewer turnovers in high school, you can expect them to protect the ball better as they advance in their sport. However, I tend to look for the positive side of people and wait for them to demonstrate that they do not measure up to the standards.

coach sam and alabama coach follering her. ibet the tide like edia which i said a week ago. hats off edia for not naming all her offers class act. head coach like alabama do not follow for notting. edia mom said glad they will not play each other.

The young lady can drive the ball to the hoop....Shoots a nice outside shot....Has cat quick reactions......Extremely aggressive ball player.....Playing to earn her scholarship....She's all lady Vol....Good for her and the Darby family.
273044767_1386931688394398_8255829743004922307_n.jpg

You know who before you even came in here to be negative! I trust Coach Harper and staff assessment of her over anyone on this board. Doesn’t matter who it is, if they wanna be here and Coach wants them then let’s be happy for the team and the Athlete.
It was a package deal ... she will be a practice player .. its ok ..they need them too ..

Reactions: olddog
But she turned down several offers from D1 schools I believe. Apparently her heart is 100% UT and rather walk on than go to smaller school and play more most likely. She is a competitor and may very well end up being a steal in this class.
My thoughts exactly. I think Edie will turn out to be quite the steal; hold her own; and earn a scholarship.

Congrats and Welcome Edie!!!

Posted January 29, 2021 (edited)
Eddie Darby -Greenfield High School
Miss Basketball Class A

Lots of kids out there that play at small high school programs that don’t get a glance at because of just that. Then they get a shot in the dark…the right players around them to complement their skill set and they blow up on the scene. Girl has undeniable skills and obviously a high basketball IQ.
Elfrid Payton at Louisiana Lafayette, Nate Wolters South Dakota State, Tyler Harvey Eastern Washington, and especially 3 point shooting overlord Travis Bader Oakland University….just saying.

VN Store

Back