East Tennessee Weather II

From 5:23am EDT, Sun Mar 29 until 6:00am EDT, Sun Mar 29
Action Recommended: Take shelter in place or per instructions
Issued by: Knoxville/Tri-Cities - TN, US, National Weather Service,

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... NORTHEASTERN LOUDON COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE... KNOX COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE... ANDERSON COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE... NORTHEASTERN ROANE COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE... * UNTIL 600 AM EDT. * AT 523 AM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED OVER KINGSTON, MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH. HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL. SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED. IMPACT...HAIL DAMAGE TO VEHICLES IS EXPECTED. EXPECT WIND DAMAGE TO ROOFS, SIDING, AND TREES. * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... KNOXVILLE, OAK RIDGE, CLINTON, LENOIR CITY, KINGSTON, LOUDON, FARRAGUT, OLIVER SPRINGS, MIDTOWN AND HARRIMAN. THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING HIGHWAYS... INTERSTATE 40 IN TENNESSEE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 349 AND 396. INTERSTATE 75 IN TENNESSEE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 77 AND 127. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A BUILDING. && HAIL...1.00IN; WIND...60MPH

Damaged reported from this storm in Crossville near Pleasant Hill, and in Fentress County near ClarkRange area.

Alert!!!!!!!!

The National Weather Service in Morristown has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Hawkins County in east Tennessee...
Southeastern Knox County in east Tennessee...
Northeastern Blount County in east Tennessee...
Jefferson County in east Tennessee...
Hancock County in east Tennessee...
Northwestern Cocke County in east Tennessee...
Northwestern Greene County in east Tennessee...
Central Grainger County in east Tennessee...
Sevier County in east Tennessee...
Hamblen County in east Tennessee...
Southwestern Scott County in southwestern Virginia...

* Until 700 AM EDT.

* At 610 AM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from 7 miles east of Tazewell to near Maryville, moving
northeast at 60 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and penny size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Morristown, Sevierville, Jefferson City, Newport, Rogersville,
Gatlinburg, Dandridge, Sneedville, Rutledge and Pigeon Forge.

This includes the following highways...
Interstate 40 in Tennessee between mile markers 401 and 435.
Interstate 81 in Tennessee between mile markers 1 and 25.

Alert!!!!!!!

The National Weather Service in Morristown has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Western Sullivan County in east Tennessee...
Eastern Hawkins County in east Tennessee...
Western Washington County in east Tennessee...
Central Cocke County in east Tennessee...
Greene County in east Tennessee...
Southeastern Scott County in southwestern Virginia...

* Until 715 AM EDT.

* At 638 AM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from near Rogersville to 10 miles southeast of
Russellville to near Newport, moving east at 75 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Johnson City, Kingsport, Greeneville, Newport, Gate City,
Jonesborough, Tusculum, Surgoinsville, Weber City and
Parrottsville.

~Severe Weather Alert~

There is an Enhanced risk for strong to severe thunderstorms in the Plateau. There’s a Slight risk for all other areas in East TN.

Timing: Overnight into Thursday morning.

Hazards: The primary threats are damaging winds in excess of 60 mph and large hail to quarter size. An isolated tornado or 2 can’t be ruled out.

VK’s thoughts:

More often than not, when a front is rolling through our area during this timeframe, the instability isn’t that strong due to no daytime heating. However, it appears that all of the dynamics (instability, wind shear, etc) will be fairly strong with this system. Because this will be occurring while everyone is asleep, people need to either have their weather radios charged up or have the warning alerts on their phones turned on.

Update:

Almost all of East TN (excluding far northeast TN including the tri-cities) has been upgraded to an Enhanced risk for severe storms overnight into tomorrow morning. The damaging wind threat is looking to become more widespread. The hail and tornado threat remains the same, although I would not be surprised if a few isolated areas saw large hail to half dollar size.

P.S. I almost forgot the following. There is a chance that we could see destructive winds up to 80 mph.

Last edited:
The following is unrelated to tonight’s storms. I’m keeping an eye on Easter this Sunday, as there is a decent chance for a Severe Weather Outbreak across the Southeast. Still a lot of time until the details become more certain, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Matt2496
Here’s a good summary of the primary hazards from Morristown:

Attachments

• EE9C7944-136D-4439-A59E-09DD7C173894.jpeg
    EE9C7944-136D-4439-A59E-09DD7C173894.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 11
FYI, it might be a good idea for everyone to move their vehicle into a covered area. There is a good chance for large hail between quarter and ping pong ball size when the main line comes through.

Reactions: davethevol
Meant to add this a bit ago.

Mesoscale Discussion 0320
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0952 PM CDT Wed Apr 08 2020

Areas affected...middle and eastern Tennessee...far northern Alabama
and Georgia

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely

Valid 090252Z - 090445Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent

SUMMARY...Severe storms may eventually affect areas east of Tornado
Watch 92, and a new watch is likely. Damaging winds appears to be
the primary threat, but a tornado is possible.

DISCUSSION...An unstable air mass resides across the region this
evening, with ample deep-layer shear favorable for
sustained/organized storms. Currently a line of storms is moving
east/southeast across Middle TN, likely with damaging wind gusts.
Downstream areas will likely require a watch soon as the environment
is supportive of a continued threat. In addition, isolated cells
cannot be ruled out as capping is minimal, and lift will persist
through early tonight.

The 5% tornado probability has expanded to include most of East Tennessee.

day1probotlk_0100_torn.gif

Good morning, everyone. I’ve been doing some thinking, and just like the NWS SPC gives out risk categories to outline how bad the severe weather will be in an area, I’ll be doing the same on my pre-storm write-ups. Here is my scale.

Severe Weather Bulletin: I’ll put this whenever the severe threat is marginal/isolated. It’s not something to ignore or to panic. It’s just a heads up that a few areas might see a strong to severe thunderstorm.

Severe Weather Alert: I’ll post this whenever there is a decent to really good chance for a large part of East TN to see strong to severe storms. I’ll generally post this whenever there’s a Slight Risk for our area (and Enhanced in some situations).

Severe Weather Outbreak: This is one that I pray I rarely ever have to use. I’ll only post this in the case where widespread significant severe weather is likely. Generally, I’ll put it down if we’re in an Enhanced risk with a hatched area, Moderate, and High.

One other note: There is a special classification that I will use in certain situations. For example, if our area is in a Slight risk for strong to severe thunderstorms and there is a hatched area for significant wind, hail, or tornado, then I’ll put (hatched) next to the Severe Weather Alert.

Last edited:
Reactions: headhunter15

VN Store

Back