Duck Hunters Thread

The "legal" distance varies in different enforcement areas some places 500 yards, some places 150 yards, some places no distance. I can literally anchor my boat 10 feet in front of your blind and set up my decoys. This happened to us once and that's why it's important to remember three sides to every story and that's what the cops and DA have to figure out. Did the old man get threatened or even assaulted by a couple of tough guys? Did the younguns keep sky busting because they wanted to piss the old guy off and he snapped and shot them?
In Currituck county NC you cannot set up a blind without a permit from the "duck commission" and its impossible to get one unless you are a guide or grew up there and you cant set up a scissor rig or boat blind within 1000 yards of a permanent blind ( basically NOWHERE in Currituck sound) so I cant legally hunt a public water/ public resource all in the name of safety cough cough money!
My buddy grew up there and we had 3 permanent blinds but we got tired of replacing them every year cause of hurricanes or Hard NOREASTERs tearing them down only to hunt them once or twice.
I’m curious to know what exactly went down prior to this older gentleman coming off the hinges so to speak. Do I think it was right ? Absolutely not. If there was some kind of discussion/ dispute someone should have reached out to the Game Wardens. I hate that this has happened and I hate it for all of the parties involved including those two young men that lost their lives by simply enjoying something they loved.

gosh that’s really sad...
Yeah he has a wife and 3 kids... But for the grace of God goes me. I am a firearm instructor and safety with firearms is a no second chance with me. Do it right 100% of the time. Muzzle sweep me once, swing too far across on some fast teal, don't unload your gun coming into or out of the blind and I will ensure you never hunt with me again.

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
I’m curious to know what exactly went down prior to this older gentleman coming off the hinges so to speak. Do I think it was right ? Absolutely not. If there was some kind of discussion/ dispute someone should have reached out to the Game Wardens. I hate that this has happened and I hate it for all of the parties involved including those two young men that lost their lives by simply enjoying something they loved.
Well it sure as hell doesn't look good that he fled. Not monday morning QBing something so heinous as murder, but damn if I just defended myself from having a gun pulled on me I'm gonna lawyer up and say I was in fear for my life... Not run for it UNLESS and Big UNLESS there were witnesses. I am betting that's the case albeit maybe they were 500 yards away but he knew he was in the wrong and fled.

Yeah he has a wife and 3 kids... But for the grace of God goes me. I am a firearm instructor and safety with firearms is a no second chance with me. Do it right 100% of the time. Muzzle sweep me once, swing too far across on some fast teal, don't unload your gun coming into or out of the blind and I will ensure you never hunt with me again.
I’m really really weird about my gun in the blind and out of the blind. Some of the guys give me grief like I double and triple check it. Once it’s not in use and cleared it goes right into that gun bag.

Reactions: bag12day
Well it sure as hell doesn't look good that he fled. Not monday morning QBing something so heinous as murder, but damn if I just defended myself from having a gun pulled on me I'm gonna lawyer up and say I was in fear for my life... Not run for it UNLESS and Big UNLESS there were witnesses. I am betting that's the case albeit maybe they were 500 yards away but he knew he was in the wrong and fled.
Yeah, better half said even if they were “sky blasting” which I know y’all hate and I get that. He still left his “blind” from what we know got in a boat and went to their blind and shot them. She said that’s premeditated murder that’s usually first degree.

Yeah, better half said even if they were “sky blasting” which I know y’all hate and I get that. He still left his “blind” from what we know got in a boat and went to their blind and shot them. She said that’s premeditated murder that’s usually first degree.
Buddy I've settled some things with my fists when I was younger but if you killed every duck I've ever seen fly over and they stoned right into my blind on top of me I wouldn't threaten you with a gun let alone kill someone... Its just crazy.
David Vowell was the suspects name that they are looking for but I am also seeing Tenn. Game wardens may have taken him down. There will be some crazy details come out on this one from what I'm hearing EDIT TO ADD that didnt involve swing shooting..

Buddy I've settled some things with my fists when I was younger but if you killed every duck I've ever seen fly over and they stoned right into my blind on top of me I wouldn't threaten you with a gun let alone kill someone... Its just crazy.
David Vowell was the suspects name that they are looking for but I am also seeing Tenn. Game wardens may have taken him down. There will be some crazy details come out on this one from what I'm hearing EDIT TO ADD that didnt involve swing shooting..
Yep that’s him... associated with Vowell & Sons in Martin.

Last edited:
Maybe LOL tell your better half what he did wasn't premeditated IF I WAS HIS COUNSEL because he just went to let them boys know they was raining shot down on him every time they shot swing ducks, then they pointed a gun at me and said they were gonna kill me. Yeah she very well could be right but I dont think its gonna matter since there isnt gonna be a trial I think.

With you on this one; can only imagine what the story is. But like you said absolutely insanity to leave a blind go across the lake and be that pissed off to hurt some people.

I’m really really weird about my gun in the blind and out of the blind. Some of the guys give me grief like I double and triple check it. Once it’s not in use and cleared it goes right into that gun bag.
One of my "tricks" when I was teaching classes alot was to pull a mag out pull the slide back visually verify its empty then drop the slide and hand it to someone to try the sight picture or see how it handles etc. If they didn't check it visually themselves I would ask for it back and explain we always check. "Well I trust you" they would say. I would either then or later do the same thing then pull another mag with a dummy round loaded and show them the chamber was empty then pull the mag out of my pocket insert and drop the slide. I got almost everyone on that one....

One of my "tricks" when I was teaching classes alot was to pull a mag out pull the slide back visually verify its empty then drop the slide and hand it to someone to try the sight picture or see how it handles etc. If they didn't check it visually themselves I would ask for it back and explain we always check. "Well I trust you" they would say. I would either then or later do the same thing then pull another mag with a dummy round loaded and show them the chamber was empty then pull the mag out of my pocket insert and drop the slide. I got almost everyone on that one....
I always get odd looks. Like when we load the truck up and the guys are sitting their guns down inside the bed, I always ask “is it clear” I’ll check the safety and rack it back or pump it just to check. I know that sounds weird but I’m just strange about that mess. Even if you handed me your gun said “put this in the truck” I’d immediately ask you have you cleared it? Followed by checking it. Was always told at a young age don’t touch another mans gun if that’s some unspoken forbidden rule I’ve definitely broken it a 1000+ times. LOL

Sad situation. These guys are younger than me. But I have friends that are very close to the victims. There was a 3rd person in the blind, so there will be some factual information forthcoming.

Good luck the rest of the season guys.
Can’t help but wonder what would trigger someone to kill two people then take off. As of 1145 last night TBI was looking for the Person of interest vonell. Since he took off it kind of makes that “ they pointed a gun at me “ defense difficult to claim at best. That guy that loaded his two dead buddies up and drove the boat to a ramp before getting airlifted out is some hero shiiiit for sure.

Can’t help but wonder what would trigger someone to kill two people then take off. As of 1145 last night TBI was looking for the Person of interest vonell. Since he took off it kind of makes that “ they pointed a gun at me “ defense difficult to claim at best. That guy that loaded his two dead buddies up and drove the boat to a ramp before getting airlifted out is some hero shiiiit for sure.

This whole thing is just wild if you ask me @bag12day I tried to send you a direct message but it wouldn't work. Yeah the whole running or not being able to be found is only screaming "yes I did it".

@bag12day

UPDATE: As the search for David Vowell continues, warrants have been issued for his arrest on two counts of First Degree Murder.

New details emerge in Reelfoot Lake double homicide investigation - WBBJ TV
And I have seen several other versions. Something is fishy as heck with that story. Ask to hunt with someone THEN load a gun a shoot one guy THEN grab another gun to shoot the second guy???? What person even vaguely familiar with guns approaches three guys intending to shoot one or more with an unloaded gun and then pick up a different gun to shoot again? I would say there is definitely some suspicious facts from the survivor or maybe misremembering from trauma...

I wont openly speculate but according to everyone Mr Vonelll and Mr Black were both well liked kind folks. I will say this I had an immediate family member murdered in Maryville and a crime scene 30 miles away in the GSMNP. TBI did not release any specific details publicly OR much more to us the family until they had a suspect in custody. Not the witnesses not the details of how our loved one really died... NADA and it was about 5 days.
This story is getting stranger all the time. I'm gonna bet Mr Vonells body will be found and most likely not from a self inflicted wound. Who knows...

And I have seen several other versions. Something is fishy as heck with that story. Ask to hunt with someone THEN load a gun a shoot one guy THEN grab another gun to shoot the second guy???? What person even vaguely familiar with guns approaches three guys intending to shoot one or more with an unloaded gun and then pick up a different gun to shoot again? I would say there is definitely some suspicious facts from the survivor or maybe misremembering from trauma...

I wont openly speculate but according to everyone Mr Vonelll and Mr Black were both well liked kind folks. I will say this I had an immediate family member murdered in Maryville and a crime scene 30 miles away in the GSMNP. TBI did not release any specific details publicly OR much more to us the family until they had a suspect in custody. Not the witnesses not the details of how our loved one really died... NADA and it was about 5 days.
This story is getting stranger all the time. I'm gonna bet Mr Vonells body will be found and most likely not from a self inflicted wound. Who knows...
I wish I could DM you but damn. Better half said this all sounds so odd. She’s now asking questions of how the lake is laid out etc. Going into FBI mode; heaven help me.

VN Store

Back