Duck Hunters Thread

I can tell y'all from the NC eastern shore the diver hunting sucks yet again! I hunt in Hyde county on Pamlico sound south of lake Mattamuskeet and the duck numbers are way down the past several years due to problems with the Roundup runoff killing all the SAV the divers eat. USFWS have about 1/3 the numbers in the pea Island sanctuary on the outer banks. We did draw our Swan Permits this year so going next weekend to at least shoot a swan. Good luck!
Also I’ve been meaning to ask every time I see it. Is that a 70 Chevelle? Sorry to break from duck hunting guys lol

Also I’ve been meaning to ask every time I see it. Is that a 70 Chevelle? Sorry to break from duck hunting guys lol
Duck hunting is slow anyhow lol. Yeah its a 70SS and the picture doesn't do it justice but its Sunset tangerine pearl stripes on Black and my 1970 Tennessee license plate is my homage to my favorite team even though its in NC. Its legal to run a Year of Manufacture tag on your antique here and comes in very handy on Toll roads and speed cameras LOL.

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
Duck hunting is slow anyhow lol. Yeah its a 70SS and the picture doesn't do it justice but its Sunset tangerine pearl stripes on Black and my 1970 Tennessee license plate is my homage to my favorite team even though its in NC. Its legal to run a Year of Manufacture tag on your antique here and comes in very handy on Toll roads and speed cameras LOL.
Nice I thought it was a 70! Still considered a “youngin” but grew up watching my Uncles drag race those things in West Tenn.

I have one friend who hunting Avon (NC) on the coast and is killing a TON of redheads.
Yep and a corn fed redhead is my favorite bird to eat lol. I've killed a lot of RHs on the shoals on Ocracoke and in the upper part of Currituck when I had my scissor rig. Avon is on the Northeastern side of sound and generally the redhead hunting is pretty good the last couple of weeks but they don't come down early like they did 20 years ago. I've been duck hunting NC for 40 plus years and Im at place in my life its just not worth it for a variety of reasons the least of which is bird numbers. The duck commanders sitting in our blinds on private marsh or setting up dekes 10 mins before LST 100 yards away are probably two of the more common.

Yep and a corn fed redhead is my favorite bird to eat lol. I've killed a lot of RHs on the shoals on Ocracoke and in the upper part of Currituck when I had my scissor rig. Avon is on the Northeastern side of sound and generally the redhead hunting is pretty good the last couple of weeks but they don't come down early like they did 20 years ago. I've been duck hunting NC for 40 plus years and Im at place in my life its just not worth it for a variety of reasons the least of which is bird numbers. The duck commanders sitting in our blinds on private marsh or setting up dekes 10 mins before LST 100 yards away are probably two of the more common.
Duck Commanders LMAO

Reactions: Timbeau2
Duck Commanders LMAO
Guarantee they have on face paint. Only thing worse is a knee booter.
Let’s just say at my age 50+ I don’t always get some pop culture references or know if everyone else knows what I think is common knowledge. Around central and eastern N.C. the “duck commanders “ are 18-30 year olds who learned everything they know about duck hunting from watching the tv show. Now I love Phil and the boys as much as the next guy but a lot of that show is parody and some of these kids are too stupid to know it. My son is in the upper end of That age group and hunted out of a 4 runner a canoe and 14 foot Jon boat with 20 hp motor. He has been invited to go hunting a couple of times with said commanders and he was laughing his ass off. Our Stereotypical “duck commanders” are in no particular order
1) Driving a carolina squatted $80k truck mummy and daddy bought plastered with Drake stickers, cupped up ducks and something like “ duck mauler“ Or killem all In the back window
2) Have about 250 dozen dekes piled up in a war eagle fully grassed rig With huge led light bars glaring on the bow.
3) they are fantastic at one call I have never heard in real life the 140 db high ball mallard over , over and over again.
4) If a duck comes within 300 yards they are Gonna let him know they saw him
5) Fully decked in camo drake gear to go eat dinner and talk about how many birds they saw and sometimes bragging about how many birds Short of an almost limit they killed. Usually they are proud of 3 buffleheads,a cormorant, and 4 coots.
6) A flight of 6 scaup cup up in their decoys (with nowhere to land) and everybody unloads and we watch 6 scaup fly out the bay.

Let’s just say at my age 50+ I don’t always get some pop culture references or know if everyone else knows what I think is common knowledge. Around central and eastern N.C. the “duck commanders “ are 18-30 year olds who learned everything they know about duck hunting from watching the tv show. Now I love Phil and the boys as much as the next guy but a lot of that show is parody and some of these kids are too stupid to know it. My son is in the upper end of That age group and hunted out of a 4 runner a canoe and 14 foot Jon boat with 20 hp motor. He has been invited to go hunting a couple of times with said commanders and he was laughing his ass off. Our Stereotypical “duck commanders” are in no particular order
1) Driving a carolina squatted $80k truck mummy and daddy bought plastered with Drake stickers, cupped up ducks and something like “ duck mauler“ Or killem all In the back window
2) Have about 250 dozen dekes piled up in a war eagle fully grassed rig With huge led light bars glaring on the bow.
3) they are fantastic at one call I have never heard in real life the 140 db high ball mallard over , over and over again.
4) If a duck comes within 300 yards they are Gonna let him know they saw him
5) Fully decked in camo drake gear to go eat dinner and talk about how many birds they saw and sometimes bragging about how many birds Short of an almost limit they killed. Usually they are proud of 3 buffleheads,a cormorant, and 4 coots.
6) A flight of 6 scaup cup up in their decoys (with nowhere to land) and everybody unloads and we watch 6 scaup fly out the bay.
Oh god well we got some “DCs” here too. LOL this list is great btw hahah I’m dying.

I have friends that have teenage sons in the DC age group. I try to take them when I can to show them how to do things the right way. They can’t help it. And if we don’t show them then they will never know.

The biggest thing I notice is they don’t know when to call. Not how to call, but when to call.

I have friends that have teenage sons in the DC age group. I try to take them when I can to show them how to do things the right way. They can’t help it. And if we don’t show them then they will never know.

The biggest thing I notice is they don’t know when to call. Not how to call, but when to call.
Yeah.... I hear ya and a bit tongue in cheek but unfortunately we aren’t talking about the same crew me thinks. I didn’t want to derail the thread ( too late I know) but the DC crew I’m speaking of primarily has rich parents,non hunters, never been told no, given whatever they wanted, no respect for others etc...I’ve lost patience trying to “show the way” some of which defies common sense. I have introduced a lot of kids to hunting and fishing that would have never been exposed if my son hadn’t asked them along. I have enjoyed seeing kids get into the outdoors but doing it the right way but when a kid mouths off at a suggestion because he wants to impress his buddies at the ramp it ain’t gonna end well. High ball calls don’t bother me I just laugh But other things ...
Pulled guns out of truck, loaded them on the ramp and put them in the boat muzzle sweeping multiple people.

Coming in full bore to a small creek for teal where we were set up already, on plane so they could get to the back and swamped our rig just before LST.

Massive light bar on said squatted truck blinding everyone at the ramp, splash their boat and immediately turn on the massive bow and stern light bars on the boat. So u boys going bow fishing, flounder gigging or duck hunting?
Ever seen a limit of cormorants displayed proudly for hero shots at the ramp by a DC?
i have a new motto I live by as a result of the duck commander boyz and like I said I quit duck hunting for the most part cause it tires me out Dealing with it. it’s a shame I can’t afford a private impoundment club ( most are $50-100k) but if I’m fishing and people are being Stupid I will pull lines in and go somewhere else.
“ I am tolerant of stupidity, just not those who are proud of it!”

Im excited about my swan hunt this weekend cause I’ll be in private 1000 acre cut corn field In eastern N.C. with my son and his chocolate lab and three buddies of ours.

Yeah.... I hear ya and a bit tongue in cheek but unfortunately we aren’t talking about the same crew me thinks. I didn’t want to derail the thread ( too late I know) but the DC crew I’m speaking of primarily has rich parents,non hunters, never been told no, given whatever they wanted, no respect for others etc...I’ve lost patience trying to “show the way” some of which defies common sense. I have introduced a lot of kids to hunting and fishing that would have never been exposed if my son hadn’t asked them along. I have enjoyed seeing kids get into the outdoors but doing it the right way but when a kid mouths off at a suggestion because he wants to impress his buddies at the ramp it ain’t gonna end well. High ball calls don’t bother me I just laugh But other things ...
Pulled guns out of truck, loaded them on the ramp and put them in the boat muzzle sweeping multiple people.

Coming in full bore to a small creek for teal where we were set up already, on plane so they could get to the back and swamped our rig just before LST.

Massive light bar on said squatted truck blinding everyone at the ramp, splash their boat and immediately turn on the massive bow and stern light bars on the boat. So u boys going bow fishing, flounder gigging or duck hunting?
Ever seen a limit of cormorants displayed proudly for hero shots at the ramp by a DC?
i have a new motto I live by as a result of the duck commander boyz and like I said I quit duck hunting for the most part cause it tires me out Dealing with it. it’s a shame I can’t afford a private impoundment club ( most are $50-100k) but if I’m fishing and people are being Stupid I will pull lines in and go somewhere else.

Im excited about my swan hunt this weekend cause I’ll be in private 1000 acre cut corn field In eastern N.C. with my son and his chocolate lab and three buddies of ours.
I hunt on private ground. So I don’t deal with that type of DC crowd. Sounds terrible.

I have always wanted to do a swan hunt. Good luck!

Reactions: bag12day

Hope you destroy some swan.

Don't know about red heads, but specklebelly goose is the filet of the sky.

Don't know about red heads, but specklebelly goose is the filet of the sky.
Sandhill crane "Ribeye of the sky" and I'm gonna go down to West texas sometime and get some one year. I've eaten it before and it is great. TBH I can sous vide any duck or goose breast and make it fantastic with a nice layer of bacon:p.

Sandhill crane "Ribeye of the sky" and I'm gonna go down to West texas sometime and get some one year. I've eaten it before and it is great. TBH I can sous vide any duck or goose breast and make it fantastic with a nice layer of bacon:p.
Yes! Sandhill is GREAT!

Yes! Sandhill is GREAT!
Do yall get them there in TENN? Ive only heard of guys hunting them in the SW usually.
Kindof like Swans, I think there are around 8000 permits for Eastern Flyway and NC usually gets 5000 Virginia like 2000 Maryland and Delaware get approx 1000 and SC a few IIRC. I have drawn permits in both VA and NC both in a few years and can almost always get one or the other. That being said last year we didnt draw either one lol. You are only allowed one bird and have a tag to attach to the bird until cleaned for consumption. Swan is really like roast beef. Ill look and see if I can find some old pictures and hopefully take some new ones!

Do yall get them there in TENN? Ive only heard of guys hunting them in the SW usually.
Kindof like Swans, I think there are around 8000 permits for Eastern Flyway and NC usually gets 5000 Virginia like 2000 Maryland and Delaware get approx 1000 and SC a few IIRC. I have drawn permits in both VA and NC both in a few years and can almost always get one or the other. That being said last year we didnt draw either one lol. You are only allowed one bird and have a tag to attach to the bird until cleaned for consumption. Swan is really like roast beef. Ill look and see if I can find some old pictures and hopefully take some new ones!
I saw a “flock” of about 60 just like week. We have to apply for a certain tag to hunt them. Only X amount of people get the tag.

I saw a “flock” of about 60 just like week. We have to apply for a certain tag to hunt them. Only X amount of people get the tag.
Thats exactly like Tundra swan. I want to do a spring conservation snow goose hunt when the birds migrate back up via MO, AR or NE and a sandhill hunt in the dry desert SW.
We kind of take the swan hunting for granted here but folks travel here from all over to shoot a swan. I've killed them on open saltwater bay, private impoundment, open fields and sitting in drainage ditches in fields. I may take one Friday with my 28 gauge O/u if I can find some steel loads at the coast just cause I've taken them with a single shot and pump .410, 2 20 O/Us, 12 (lots of different guns), 16 single shot full choke 34 inch and an Ithaca 10g and in 2019 a browning pump 10G.
Have thought about my bow but dang that,s alot of practice!

Thats exactly like Tundra swan. I want to do a spring conservation snow goose hunt when the birds migrate back up via MO, AR or NE and a sandhill hunt in the dry desert SW.
We kind of take the swan hunting for granted here but folks travel here from all over to shoot a swan. I've killed them on open saltwater bay, private impoundment, open fields and sitting in drainage ditches in fields. I may take one Friday with my 28 gauge O/u if I can find some steel loads at the coast just cause I've taken them with a single shot and pump .410, 2 20 O/Us, 12 (lots of different guns), 16 single shot full choke 34 inch and an Ithaca 10g and in 2019 a browning pump 10G.
Have thought about my bow but dang that,s alot of practice!
They do open snow geese season here; and it’s no kill limit etc. Guess because they are trying to curb the population because they’re so destructive.

VN Store

Back