Duck Hunters Thread

Killed 15 on Saturday. Mixed bag. Pintails, Mallards, Grey Ducks, Teal, and Spoons. Killed 9 today. Going to chase them this week. But I know how it’s going to go. We will scratch out a few here and there. But I don’t expect it to be any different from what we normally do.
Oh nice! At least you ended up with some in your bag. Are y’all on open water or what exactly @Jxn Vol ?

5 greenheads yesterday and they did it right! I don't mind low numbers at all if they're gonna be backflapping a foot over the water. A sight that will never get old. Still very tough going in my area. We can hear a couple of big money/guide blinds from our spot and they barely shot at all. Feel bad for the guides and the clients :/

5 greenheads yesterday and they did it right! I don't mind low numbers at all if they're gonna be backflapping a foot over the water. A sight that will never get old. Still very tough going in my area. We can hear a couple of big money/guide blinds from our spot and they barely shot at all. Feel bad for the guides and the clients :/
Very nice! Looks like you and @Jxn Vol cleaned up LOL

Any luck? It’s completely stopped here (Middle Tenn) which we normally don’t have a lot of “flyway traffic” to begin with. Cousins pulled their blind out yesterday afternoon (in west tenn near reelfoot) said “it’s dead dude we’re not seeing squat”.

Seeing some news stories about some badness on reelfoot today. Apparently there was a dispute between hunters in nearby blinds and things got ugly.

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
Seeing some news stories about some badness on reelfoot today. Apparently there was a dispute between hunters in nearby blinds and things got ugly.
Yeah apparently two 26 year olds got into it with an older gentlemen he was about 70. The TBI is now involved with it too.

Yeah apparently two 26 year olds got into it with an older gentlemen he was about 70. The warden ended up shooting the 70 year old. The TBI is now involved with it too.

I had heard the two younger guys got shot and the older man took off. Either way its bad stuff.

It was on Reelfoot which is managed by TWRA some of the blinds are a few hundred yards apart maybe less. I’m not sure what happened either way on both ends it’s said. I edited my post because I don’t want to send the wrong impression if something did or didn’t happen.

@ABINGDON VOL FAN it didn’t grab your post so I retagged you...

Last edited:
It was on Reelfoot which is managed by TWRA some of the blinds are a few hundred yards apart maybe less. I’m not sure what happened but I’m sure it involved skyblasting where hunters shoot knowing they can’t hit them. (Same thing @bag12day does I kid I kid) Which flares the birds and 9 times out of 10 they won’t work back in. I’ve spoke to some friends and family since my original post and they said that the issue had been going on a few days and the older gentleman asked them to stop doing that just this past weekend.

@ABINGDON VOL FAN it didn’t grab your post so I retagged you...
Thanks. I never duck hunted so I was really in the dark about the details.

Awful, awful situation. One of the victims worked at Final Flight (hunting retailer around here) and the other was a recent college grad. We're just a few years apart in schools in the same district and they were friends of friends. From what I understand, great guys. Very dark day in the waterfowling community.

Imma leave this here lol.
The Outer Banks Voice - Dare County man charged after confrontations over duck blind
pay particular attention to who the was the victim(s)... Other people had tried to report this individual for intimidation and assault but nothing came of it until a NC Wildlife resources commissioner was the victim, then stuff got real! This is real close to where I hunt.
Whoa, told my better half who’s from Hillsborough (NC) and she said why does that not surprise me. Said those Outer Banks get wild sometimes.

Yes it’s incredibly crazy when you hear it. It’s a shame on both ends for those young men and that older gentleman. I feel like the world gets crazier and crazier by the day.

One of the young guys worked at Final Flight in Union City. I've been there several times and it seems like a good group of people working there. Hate to hear about something like this.

Edit Sorry to repost. Just saw @Timbeau2 post re final flight.

Awful, awful situation. One of the victims worked at Final Flight (hunting retailer around here) and the other was a recent college grad. We're just a few years apart in schools in the same district and they were friends of friends. From what I understand, great guys. Very dark day in the waterfowling community.
Geez this gets sadder with each post I read. Just like I told @ABINGDON VOL FAN feel like this world gets crazier and crazier by the day.

Thanks. I never duck hunted so I was really in the dark about the details.
The "legal" distance varies in different enforcement areas some places 500 yards, some places 150 yards, some places no distance. I can literally anchor my boat 10 feet in front of your blind and set up my decoys. This happened to us once and that's why it's important to remember three sides to every story and that's what the cops and DA have to figure out. Did the old man get threatened or even assaulted by a couple of tough guys? Did the younguns keep sky busting because they wanted to piss the old guy off and he snapped and shot them?
In Currituck county NC you cannot set up a blind without a permit from the "duck commission" and its impossible to get one unless you are a guide or grew up there and you cant set up a scissor rig or boat blind within 1000 yards of a permanent blind ( basically NOWHERE in Currituck sound) so I cant legally hunt a public water/ public resource all in the name of safety cough cough money!
My buddy grew up there and we had 3 permanent blinds but we got tired of replacing them every year cause of hurricanes or Hard NOREASTERs tearing them down only to hunt them once or twice.

VN Store

Back