Drayton brought to tears by Meyer?

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles

:ermm:

GAINESVILLE - When Stan Drayton left UF to become the running backs coach at rival Tennessee, it ended a rocky working relationship with Urban Meyer.

Drayton said he was frustrated at Florida, and former Gators running back Anthony Gay can attest to that.

He left the team before the 2006 season due to multiple failed drug tests.

Before his career ended, Gay had a meeting with Drayton and Meyer and picked up on the fact that his head coach and his position coach weren't all that friendly.

"They ain’t like this," said Gay, holding up crossed fingers to visually describe it in a September interview. "They’re not even really tight. A lot of days, I've seen Coach Drayton shed tears before. Not in front of (Meyer), but right after practice because of how he acknowledged him, because of how he belittled him."

This doesn't sound right to me.

Urban Meyer would never belittle someone. He's not smug either.

I'm not the most optimistic man on this site but......

Clawson, from a press conference I saw, strikes me as confident and dare I say a little bit cocky when it comes to his offense. I like that.

Now this comes out about Drayton. Good lord, to a man (if this is true) Drayton will absolutley want to rip Urban a new one next season. I also like that.

Revenge, Hunger, Emotions, Proving you belong, Humiliation all things that can either inspire or break a man when it comes to the big stage. To over use an already over used cliche' about Tennessee football: They play better when they have something to prove.

When and if Clawson is hired offically this guy will be very optimistic about the future of Tennessee football even with Fulmer at the helm. If we are to get the QB coach from Michigan color me excited as hell.

I'm not the most optimistic man on this site but......

Clawson, from a press conference I saw, strikes me as confident and dare I say a little bit cocky when it comes to his offense. I like that.

Now this comes out about Drayton. Good lord, to a man (if this is true) Drayton will absolutley want to rip Urban a new one next season. I also like that.

When and if Clawson is hired offically this guy will be very optimistic about the future of Tennessee football even with Fulmer at the helm. If we are to get the QB coach from Michigan color me excited as hell.

:yes:

I believe we lost out on to QB coach from Mich. It looks like he is going to UCLA as an OC/QB coach and taking his 5* QB with him. IF we were only interested in him for a package deal then we are probably better off without him.

Im not worried at all about our QB position, we have Crompton and Coleman for now. Next year Clawson can recruit his own guy. As far as Meyer not liking Drayton, Im sure he loved those 5 star guys he brought in. Notice how assistants at UF are jumping ship for the same position.

I think Nick Stephens is the best pure passer we've got, but Crompton has more experience. I don't know alot about Coleman. We are doing pretty well in the QB department for the next few years.

Surely I'm not the only one a little skeptical about a guy willing to air soooo much laundry about his former employer. That goes on everywhere, but to make it so public is not good. What makes us think he'll be different here? Loose lips sink ships.

Surely I'm not the only one a little skeptical about a guy willing to air soooo much laundry about his former employer. That goes on everywhere, but to make it so public is not good. What makes us think he'll be different here? Loose lips sink ships.

this is from a former player (and a blog)

I think Nick Stephens is the best pure passer we've got, but Crompton has more experience. I don't know alot about Coleman. We are doing pretty well in the QB department for the next few years.

you will find out alot about coleman in 08 , I think there is a good chance he is the starter. And no I'm not from Chattanooga

First, as some of you have pointed out, the source of this information is a player kicked off the team for repeatedly failing drug tests.

Second, Urban Meyer does not strike me as the kind of coach who would keep someone around if he was that upset with the guy. Does that make sense to you?

Third, if Meyer hated the man that much and belittled him, etc., why would he have hired him to begin with?

Fourth, even assuming its all true, do you really think that the new RB coach at UT, with a grudge against the head coach at another team, is going to work any harder to win? I mean, if you need that as your motivation, at this level, to be innovative and win SEC football games, God help you the rest of the year when you don't have similar grudges to worry about.

I find the whole thing ridiculous, petty, suspicious, and in the end much ado about nothing anyway.

First, as some of you have pointed out, the source of this information is a player kicked off the team for repeatedly failing drug tests.

Second, Urban Meyer does not strike me as the kind of coach who would keep someone around if he was that upset with the guy. Does that make sense to you?

Third, if Meyer hated the man that much and belittled him, etc., why would he have hired him to begin with?

Fourth, even assuming its all true, do you really think that the new RB coach at UT, with a grudge against the head coach at another team, is going to work any harder to win? I mean, if you need that as your motivation, at this level, to be innovative and win SEC football games, God help you the rest of the year when you don't have similar grudges to worry about.

I find the whole thing ridiculous, petty, suspicious, and in the end much ado about nothing anyway.
You make some good points here, but more and more it seems that Urban has a tendency to put his players down, if not his coaches. Just look for the thread posted recently regarding his comments about his seniors.

Coaches need to be tough on the team when warranted, but you can do that without belittling players or staff.

You make some good points here, but more and more it seems that Urban has a tendency to put his players down, if not his coaches. Just look for the thread posted recently regarding his comments about his seniors.

Coaches need to be tough on the team when warranted, but you can do that without belittling players or staff.

The last I saw of the threads about these comments from UM about the seniors who did not contribute to the team, it seemed no one could verify that he said it. The only places talking about those comments were message boards, all copying one another -- no actual news or reporting service had anything about it.

Anyone see if someone found a link to an even remotely reputable source that Meyer said such things?

Your just mad cause Meyer is a MEANEY PANTS!

he doesn't?

Not at all. He does not suffer fools gladly. If he did not think the guy was a good coach and was belittling him constantly to the point that he made him cry, I think UM would have kicked himn out long ago. It just makes no sense to say that he disliked or disrespected the man so much that he was made the RB coach at one of the top athletic programs in the country.

How dare you..Urban Meyers poop does stink :eek:hmy:

Your just mad cause Meyer is a MEANEY PANTS!

LOL, no. Its just that people are relying on some pretty thin evidence to make these claims. First, we have fan message boards claiming that Meyer basically said good riddance to some of the senior football players. No verification whatsoever, just being repeated on rival fan message boards. Forgive me for being skeptical.

Then, we have critical comments from a former player with every reason in the world to hold a grudge against UF (I mean really, at UF, to get kicked off the team for failed drug tests, you evidently have to be toking a joint 24/7/365). He makes claims that absolutely no one is supporting. No coach, no other player. Nothing.

I'm not saying that Meyer isn't a hard task master and perhaps he can be harsh when demanding perfection. Seems to me that if you compare that attitude with Mr. Clipboard-under-the-arm-clapping-after-every-fumble (a/k/a Fulmer) then, well, you figure out the rest ...

VN Store

Back