Doug Mathews secondary suggestion

I was actually being generous.
Slaughter. Jr
Flowers. Sr
McCollough. Sr
Dee Williams. Jr
Burrell. Sr
McDonald Jr
There are about 10 others listed on the roster who have never seen the field. They are all Fr and So. Maybe those are the ones you are referring to. I was talking about the ones that actually play.
I can name so many past vols that improved from jr to sr year. That was my point. Even sr to nfl lol. If you think these guys can make 0 improvements then your just being one of those guys

Did dee williams and burrell play vs florida?
That’s not the point. Whomever I responded to initially said that they thought that the secondary would naturally get better as the season progressed and wondered why people didn’t think that was true. I just said it’s probably because the ones who are actually playing have been here for multiple years and they are probably as good as they are going to be.

That’s not the point. Whomever I responded to initially said that they thought that the secondary would naturally get better as the season progressed and wondered why people didn’t think that was true. I just said it’s probably because the ones who are actually playing have been here for multiple years and they are probably as good as they are going to be.
just a bad take imo. Rooting for 0 improvement is pretty encouraging

I can name so many past vols that improved from jr to sr year. That was my point. Even sr to nfl lol. If you think these guys can make 0 improvements then your just being one of those guys
Sure. It’s not impossible but certainly not automatic. We can just disagree on this one. I wasn’t trying to ruffle your feathers.

Folks it the Coach. I cringed when Hep named him to the staff. Martinez He was here with Butch and was terrible and still is. He's been more places than a hobo. Look at his Bio. Sometime back maybe 25-30 years we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and the Nation with INT's Who was the guy? Had some insane number for the year like in the 20's
And the scheme. We can’t play match zone. Yet it’s called over and over. At some point you gotta learn.

Heupel is gonna have to trade out Martinez if a solid DB coach is available in the off season. These have been horrible performances by our secondary. DBs and safeties aren’t within miles of receivers. Even lowly Akron exposed our secondary.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Majors moved Mathews over to be the DC after he fired Donahue....Doug did a pretty good job too.

The coaching staff should experiment with Calloway and Holliday as potential defensive backfield additions.
While I tend to agree... the potential exists that we have to replace Tillman, Bru, AND Hyatt this off-season. I don't think it's likely that Hyatt and Bru go pro, but Hyatt is on pace for 1000 yards and NFL Scouts are probably drooling over Bru. He's a beast.

Reactions: Volfan1000
He had an angle on Richardson then redirected to take a bad angle so he wouldn't have to hit him.
He also missed 2-3 tackles on Zipperer to allow him to score. It was several weak attempts to go after the ball and allow the ball carrier to continue to gain yards/score. Very, very poor execution.

The problem is our secondary is littered with a bunch of 3 ⭐️s

So Matthews is essentially right

So currently we have the worst pass defense in the SEC. Do you mean to tell me that UK, Vandy, Missouri, Arky, South Carolina and Ole Miss have recruited better players than we have in the secondary? I call big time BS.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Clipped from an article talking about his time with UT under Jones and his 3 years with CJH at UCF. Also, he was fired by Right (the guy that wouldn't hardly fire anyone)

"The Vols' pass defense ranked in the top eight of the SEC in Martinez's first three seasons on staff before slipping to 10th in his final year. UCF ranked in the top half of the American Athletic Conference in his first two seasons there before ranking last in 2020."

Like I and others have been saying, Martinez sucks and we desperately need a new DB coach.

Majors moved Mathews over to be the DC after he fired Donahue....Doug did a pretty good job too.

Doug's secondary in 1989 was as bad as this one. Alabama with Gary Hollingsworth passed for about 400 yds in a 47-30 win over the Vols. The next week Tommy Hodson at Lsu set a SEC record passing in a game Tennessee won something like 45-39. Then Majors talked Carl Pickens, a freshman WR, to move to FS and the pass defense improved dramatically. I think Pickens intercepted a pass in every game he played at safety including being the MVP on defense in the Cotton Bowl win over Arkansas. Doug is the poster boy for "It aint the Xs and Os its the Jimmys & Joes"

Played a vanilla D ( limited blitzes) to hide schemes for more accurate QBs down the road. Blitzes can cover warts in a secondary.

Reactions: tbones0711
Folks it the Coach. I cringed when Hep named him to the staff. Martinez He was here with Butch and was terrible and still is. He's been more places than a hobo. Look at his Bio. Sometime back maybe 25-30 years we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and the Nation with INT's Who was the guy? Had some insane number for the year like in the 20's
Disagree. Martinez has put several players in the NFL, including two from last year (which is a big part of our problem). He helped Justin Coleman go from probably the CB we've ever had to NFL player, Moseley was a 145 lb 2 star QB that became an NFL player, Sutton was just a 3 star that turned into an All-SEC player, Theo Jackson turned from afterthought to irreplaceable, Alontae was a QB that turned into a 2nd round NFL draft pick. That's not even mentioning guys like Abernathy, McNeil, and Brian Randolph who were all very solid.

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is. It feels like there is enough talent back there, we have a pretty proven coach. There's some disconnect clearly. I do know our zone defense is abhorrently bad and we need to never run that, but I would think that falls on Tim Banks (from a play calling and scheme perspective). I want to see what they look like with Dee Williams in there, and also Burrell back. While they weren't fantastic with Burrell in there, they also didn't give up 453 yards in a game either. Hopefully Charles will go back to safety or Nickel maybe. Turnage certainly doesn't need to be playing outside.

Reactions: murfvol1
Secondary is soft and they don't know how to play zone pass coverage. You have to go with the receiver when he passes through your zone, you can't just find a spot and sit there.
This...

Matthews is terrible. Who would actually suggest putting more LBs on the field to improve your pass defense? Our LB coverage was a big part of the problem.

LB position in zone coverage was part of the problem....some of the lbs that did not have spy or rb coverage has to be able to drop deeper into coverage.....way to easy in our zone because the QB did not have to address getting it over one level and drop it into a receiver......FL QB did not have touch....but he could throw it through a brick wall....we did not make him show touch but maybe one or two throws all

So currently we have the worst pass defense in the SEC. Do you mean to tell me that UK, Vandy, Missouri, Arky, South Carolina and Ole Miss have recruited better players than we have in the secondary? I call big time BS.

They may not have had a "better recruited" secondary, but they definitely have better players than we do now.

He didn’t mince words on his Sunday morning radio show.
Said the secondary is just not SEC caliber. Said he’d rather see untested but more athletic freshmen see more playing time than the veterans.
Also thinks we should move some wide receivers to the secondary during the bye week.
Maybe go to a 4-3-4 instead of the current 4-2-5.
I just don’t understand why our DBs were so far off coverage playing zone. The ball was being caught with no defender within 5 yards. I understood the philosophy of not playing man in order to prevent from Richardson running

VN Store

Back