Doug Mathews secondary suggestion

It was the scheme more than anything. We stubbornly stuck with soft zone coverage even after Florida was having success. We went after their running game and shut it down. Gave up a ton through the air.

I thought this was pretty clear. We weren't going to let Richardson beat us with his wheels. And he happened to execute with his arm. Seems simple as that.....

It was the scheme more than anything. We stubbornly stuck with soft zone coverage even after Florida was having success. We went after their running game and shut it down. Gave up a ton through the air.
I hate zone coverage. I get the reason why we ran it . I think it takes almost flawless communication to run it great and we obviously didn’t have that Saturday. Lock up and play press the rest of the year. It can’t be any worse than Saturday

Reactions: norrislakevol
When the celebrations stop, I would imange that several coaches will be cringing watching the replay in the film room. I would have to think that given two weeks to scheme/prepare that we should see a marked improvement in zone and man coverages, tackling, blitz packages, and special teams. Time will tell. GBO!

It’s bad enough that they can’t cover, but to make matters
worse, they can’t tackle. I’ve never seen one player miss 2
tackles on one play before. Pathetic.

I respectfully suggest that you guys are playing checkers ... this is a chess. Not disrespecting Doug M at all. He has to put some words out there regularly. He has an opinion and I respect that. I suspect if he was the DC at Tennessee his take would be very different. He only knows what he sees. He does not know the players limitations.
[Note to all: I hate soft defense!!!! My reputation as a player...my play earned me the moniker of 'The Punisher.' I made up for my lack of skill, with punishing play. My attitude was he was going to catch it and I had every intention of making him pay dearly for his catch.]
USF harassed AR and he displayed poor passing skills. BUT USF LOST the game!
UT tried to limit his running and he put his passing skills on display. BUT TN WON the game!!!
Will you concede that players who are 'trying to do to much' - play slow and/or make poor decisions.
Will you concede that slow dbs should not play man to man?

My synopsis:
Heupel is a 5 year head coach ... he is still learning on the fly. Some of this is on him!
The scheme we tried to execute against Florida did not work as we imagined it. There were several issues, some of them were player limitations related, some were players NOT doing what they were supposed to do. Some of it was AR making perfect throws.
Players 'inherit' a mindset against teams. We are in Ky players head ... even when it looks like they should win ... they don't ---- because they think something will happen and TN will beat them again. And it happens! (That is a good thing!)
But the counter part is also true, we have a bunch of players who HAD never beaten Florida ... guess what ... that 'monkey is now dead.'
The defense was ugly. But we WON.
We get to look at and fix as many of the issues as we can having WON the game. Players will get better. Some a little bit, some a lot.
But the bottom line, this is chess; we sacrifice things all the time, the goal is to cover our weaknesses, try to leverage an advantage, and WIN BABY ...... even if it is ugly!

Oh and by the way, everyone bringing up Pickens - you need a refresher course. Carl Pickens was a WR AND DB in High School. He intercepted 15 passes in his high school career. He understood defense, Tennessee did not just throw him over on that side of the ball on a whim! And did you know, that even with his previous defensive experience ... players were sometimes still having to tell him where to line up!
And the coup de grace, in high school, he punted, he returned punts, returned kickoffs, played free safety and DB and wide receiver. NOW, tell me which TN offensive player has that kind of pedigree????

McCollough should be a LB. He simply doesn’t have SEC speed for a safety.

I’ve never been a big fan of coach Martinez. I don’t know of a program he’s been associated with that longs for his return.

I respectfully suggest that you guys are playing checkers ... this is a chess. Not disrespecting Doug M at all. He has to put some words out there regularly. He has an opinion and I respect that. I suspect if he was the DC at Tennessee his take would be very different. He only knows what he sees. He does not know the players limitations.
[Note to all: I hate soft defense!!!! My reputation as a player...my play earned me the moniker of 'The Punisher.' I made up for my lack of skill, with punishing play. My attitude was he was going to catch it and I had every intention of making him pay dearly for his catch.]
USF harassed AR and he displayed poor passing skills. BUT USF LOST the game!
UT tried to limit his running and he put his passing skills on display. BUT TN WON the game!!!
Will you concede that players who are 'trying to do to much' - play slow and/or make poor decisions.
Will you concede that slow dbs should not play man to man?

My synopsis:
Heupel is a 5 year head coach ... he is still learning on the fly. Some of this is on him!
The scheme we tried to execute against Florida did not work as we imagined it. There were several issues, some of them were player limitations related, some were players NOT doing what they were supposed to do. Some of it was AR making perfect throws.
Players 'inherit' a mindset against teams. We are in Ky players head ... even when it looks like they should win ... they don't ---- because they think something will happen and TN will beat them again. And it happens! (That is a good thing!)
But the counter part is also true, we have a bunch of players who HAD never beaten Florida ... guess what ... that 'monkey is now dead.'
The defense was ugly. But we WON.
We get to look at and fix as many of the issues as we can having WON the game. Players will get better. Some a little bit, some a lot.
But the bottom line, this is chess; we sacrifice things all the time, the goal is to cover our weaknesses, try to leverage an advantage, and WIN BABY ...... even if it is ugly!

Oh and by the way, everyone bringing up Pickens - you need a refresher course. Carl Pickens was a WR AND DB in High School. He intercepted 15 passes in his high school career. He understood defense, Tennessee did not just throw him over on that side of the ball on a whim! And did you know, that even with his previous defensive experience ... players were sometimes still having to tell him where to line up!
And the coup de grace, in high school, he punted, he returned punts, returned kickoffs, played free safety and DB and wide receiver. NOW, tell me which TN offensive player has that kind of pedigree????

For better or worse, I don’t think Huepel has a lot to do with defensive scheming. His attention is on offense.

They may not have had a "better recruited" secondary, but they definitely have better players than we do now.

Do what you are saying is Martinez cannot develop the guys he has. I mean Burrell (our worst DB) was out and the secondary was horrible. I will stand by it. Martinez needs to go.

Folks it the Coach. I cringed when Hep named him to the staff. Martinez He was here with Butch and was terrible and still is. He's been more places than a hobo. Look at his Bio. Sometime back maybe 25-30 years we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and the Nation with INT's Who was the guy? Had some insane number for the year like in the 20's
Did you say the same thing twice within like 5 posts?

I like a 3-4 or 3-3-5
I like them too. I think we may be better built, currently, for a 3-4. Both of our stars are really 3-4 backers. We have a lot of players that would fit that scheme.
When I coached HS FB as a DC, my base defense was a 3-3-5. I had the guys to run it and it was a lot of fun. We turned over people like crazy. But, we ran a fairly complicated coverage system that has a lot of the same issues that a 4-2-5 can have. If you don’t have good safeties, then it is bad too. We ran a lot of cover six. I wasn’t scared to leave kids on an island. Base Cover three with matching concepts on doubles sides. It was easier when I had Bball kids. They understood switching better. Cover two insert with the SS as a robber for the deep cross or diggers. Good times.

The problem is our secondary is littered with a bunch of 3 ⭐️s

So Matthews is essentially right
Oh good grief. Yeah. No one in UT's secondary has any talent. The schemes and playcalling are perfect... all a talent problem.

When other DC's aren't doing more with lower rated AND less talented players then you can just blame it on the players. If you are going off rankings then UK, USF, and Utah ALL have equal or less talent than UT. Combined they allowed less passing yds to UF than UT.

I hate zone coverage. I get the reason why we ran it . I think it takes almost flawless communication to run it great and we obviously didn’t have that Saturday. Lock up and play press the rest of the year. It can’t be any worse than Saturday

We did a pretty good job against Pitt. I think we did a lot more man and took away the short routes. Worked well and I am guessing that that is what we will do against LSU. We have a good pass rush when we want to use it.

We did a pretty good job against Pitt. I think we did a lot more man and took away the short routes. Worked well and I am guessing that that is what we will do against LSU. We have a good pass rush when we want to use it.

I don't know...with Daniels' running ability, you may see more zone so the DBs don't turn their backs to him.

Reactions: GordonC
Of course, the secondary needs to get better, and the sooner the better.
The goal Saturday, though, was to make Richardson beat us with his arm. Despite a career day for him, he did NOT beat us with his arm, and the D did a good job in shutting down the run.
In years past, we lose games like Pitt and Florida.
Anyone who doesn't think this team is different needs to take a look at the 99-yard drive before halftime. Florida had the lead and pinned us back.
It didn't matter, and it didn't matter that AR had a career day.
Florida's best was not enough.

Folks it the Coach. I cringed when Hep named him to the staff. Martinez He was here with Butch and was terrible and still is. He's been more places than a hobo. Look at his Bio. Sometime back maybe 25-30 years we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and the Nation with INT's Who was the guy? Had some insane number for the year like in the 20's

Didn't you make this same argument in post #6?

He didn’t mince words on his Sunday morning radio show.
Said the secondary is just not SEC caliber. Said he’d rather see untested but more athletic freshmen see more playing time than the veterans.
Also thinks we should move some wide receivers to the secondary during the bye week.
Maybe go to a 4-3-4 instead of the current 4-2-5.
Going to the 4-3 would exacerbate the problem because it would likely mean less speed on the field

Majors moved Mathews over to be the DC after he fired Donahue....Doug did a pretty good job too.
I did not realize he fire Donahue...Not questioning but I just did not realize it. When Matthews took over the Defense weren't we like 0-6 and then won 11 games in a row. I do remember Majors telling Matthews that he costs them a NC because of a loss to ? and the next season and shipped Matthews off to Miss State.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back