Doug Mathews secondary suggestion

Vfl2407

He didn’t mince words on his Sunday morning radio show.
Said the secondary is just not SEC caliber. Said he’d rather see untested but more athletic freshmen see more playing time than the veterans.
Also thinks we should move some wide receivers to the secondary during the bye week.
Maybe go to a 4-3-4 instead of the current 4-2-5.

Said the secondary is just not SEC caliber. Said he’d rather see untested but more athletic freshmen see more playing time than the veterans.
Also thinks we should move some wide receivers to the secondary during the bye week.
I don’t disagree with Doug on this one. We are athletic enough at LB to move to a 4-3 or bring a safety down. However, not sure about the numbers. These younger players would definitely see a bit more PT.

Reactions: Remy and feathersax
The Tennessee secondary according to the Florida Gator Network who i listened to last night when i listened to their version of Saturday's game said that Tennessee was missing a few players in the secondary who were injured.

The Tennessee secondary according to the Florida Gator Network who i listened to last night when i listened to their version of Saturday's game said that Tennessee was missing a few players in the secondary who were injured.
Burrell was out as he was against Akron.
Dee Williams has yet to play.

Dudes it's the coach. Matthews knows the problem but want call out the name. Willie Martinez. He was the worst when butch was here. Couldn't coach um up then can't now. Go look at his Bio longest he stay anywhere is 2 to 3 yrs. Some of you older guys help me back several years ago we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and I think the nation for the season that had over 20 INT's for the year. Who was the coach?

So the secondary isn't up to snuff? No kidding, coach! So let's add a LB and drop a DB? Assume that's so we can add pressure to the QB? If we don't amp up the heat, how will one less DB help us? I'm no coach but the math isn't making sense to me.

So the secondary isn't up to snuff? No kidding, coach! So let's add a LB and drop a DB? Assume that's so we can add pressure to the QB? If we don't amp up the heat, how will one less DB help us? I'm no coach but the math isn't making sense to me.
An extra pass rusher and bigger run stopper.

We already basically run a 4-3 because McDonald is basically an OLB that is coverage all the time

Folks it the Coach. I cringed when Hep named him to the staff. Martinez He was here with Butch and was terrible and still is. He's been more places than a hobo. Look at his Bio. Sometime back maybe 25-30 years we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and the Nation with INT's Who was the guy? Had some insane number for the year like in the 20's

I agree with Doug somewhat. Move Calloway to CB .
McCullugh and Flowers continue to get beat in coverage. Two veterans that are used to being beat all game long. But they dominate in practice. Bench them
Move Charles back to safety.
Hadden has a shaky game but, he still made plays as well against Florida and otherwise has been very good all the other games

CB Hadden
CB Calloway
FS Charles
SS Slaughter
ST McDonald

Its a process. I think a lot of it had to do with Richardson. He (as Florida qbs often do against Tennessee) played a great game. He’s a mobile qb so you have to account for that. When he’s on he’s going to put up big numbers, much like Hendon. Don’t forget that the defense kept us in the Pitt game when the offense was sputtering. I’m curious to see how we look against more pocket style qbs.

He is a former coach, correct?

Emphasis on former please🤓

Reactions: VFLBerg
I need to rewatch, but on the fly I thought it was a schematic/philosophy issue. The basic setup of this defense with the safeties puts the corners in difficult spots. They play exceptionally deep to avoid giving up the home runs. But, that puts a lot of stress on the corners and LBs. additionally, a lot of coverage systems use “route matching” concepts which essentially makes you a matchup zone. We are typically a “drop zone” defense and we have guys who guard air way too much.

Can we stop with the Richardson had the game of his life business? Yes he had a good game but I dont think he would be starting at Florida if he didnt have the capacity to hit a wide open receiver while not being pressured at all, we had an atrocious day on defense and luckily we won, we are the reason he had a great game not him.

What’s concerning is the amount of Florida receivers running so wide open…no DB within several yards. AR floated several passes that hung up in the air and nobody around to contest the throw. Tackling was atrocious to boot..
The first touchdown when Hadden missed the tackle twice.....that was horrible.

Clipped from an article talking about his time with UT under Jones and his 3 years with CJH at UCF. Also, he was fired by Right (the guy that wouldn't hardly fire anyone)

"The Vols' pass defense ranked in the top eight of the SEC in Martinez's first three seasons on staff before slipping to 10th in his final year. UCF ranked in the top half of the American Athletic Conference in his first two seasons there before ranking last in 2020."

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back