Dont be surprised if Hooker enters portal ?

I don’t think so. Top Player are going to still to look at risk and reward when it comes to NIL deals because the NFL is the ultimate goal and I’m field performance is still the biggest part of that equation. So it wouldn’t really benefit Hooker and many players in anyway to leave and have to learn a new Offensive System and a whole bunch of other unknowns and end up risking their future draft prospects.( At least up until their junior year) Top players will quickly find out that the NFL will be watching how they balance NIL with their On Field play.

i do see what the OP is saying. i would've worded it differenlty. but in this new era of cfb, i wouldnt be surprised to see highly prolific players "testing the waters" to see what other schools can offer them through NIL deals. Tank Bigsby has already shown us that you can go into the transfer portal, listen to other schools, then pull out the portal if nothing really interests you.

I am still figuring out the portal and NIL. With the portal, aren't you only able to transfer once without sitting out a year? If so, I think he already did that or did he take advantage of another new rule that I am forgetting?
Much like you, I'm still trying to figure out the rules, But yes, that's my understanding as well.

I am still figuring out the portal and NIL. With the portal, aren't you only able to transfer once without sitting out a year? If so, I think he already did that or did he take advantage of another new rule that I am forgetting?
Hooker was a grad transfer

With Caleb Willams testing the portal waters it wouldn't shock me to see just about every P5 starter & star players use this tactic from now on. Hooker would force UT to find him a deal for big money. It's crazy & wild but hey they earn it so more power to them. I don't pay it so why care?
Yeah. There are a few people like you who appear to engage in projection. Maybe you think only of money. Purely mercenary with no loyalty or value for anything else. It may be hard for you to believe... but most people aren't that simple. What's valuable to them goes way beyond money.

PS- Hooker has already used his transfer. He couldn't do it again even if he wanted to.

WTF did I just read? I guess he technically could since he graduated and could use his grad transfer waiver but that isn’t going to happen. The guy just wrote a children’s book of Bible scriptures with an illustration of him in his Vol uniform on the cover.

He’s only been here for one year, but he’s everything you could ever want representing the program. He’s Dobbs-like; maybe not a certified genius, but beloved by the fan base and understands how much he means to the program.

His rise in status is also directly tied to CJH and he’s smart enough to understand that he wouldn’t be in the position were it not for CJH.

Reactions: Mccage
Don't you think Williams goes to USC?

Probably, as the coach that recruited him, promoted him and provides the system he thrived in has moved to USC.

PLUS - USC probably has plenty of NIL $$ available.

SAME reasons Hooker stays at UTK as a proven star.

Another "don't be surprised if someone screws UT" thread. I wish keyboards would all rise up and shock the heck out of anyone posting this crap. So many solid, interesting, and informative topics for posts and we get these "whoa is my...gloom and doomers". We are entitled to our opinions and our posts but, please think before you start a post. I hope Mr Hooker keeps his word and we have one heck of a 2022 season. See you at the Sugar Bowl.

Who knows? There are new rules made up every week to cover for a rule that was made a few months ago. Whatever makes the powers that be money will be allowed, and whatever loses them money will be prohibited. Please pay these prices and please pay....... a helluva lot more if you don't mind too much.

With Caleb Willams testing the portal waters it wouldn't shock me to see just about every P5 starter & star players use this tactic from now on. Hooker would force UT to find him a deal for big money. It's crazy & wild but hey they earn it so more power to them. I don't pay it so why care?
What??!?!

The man has one year of eligibility left and has already had his one free transfer.

If he transfers again he has to sit out a year, so….there goes his last year of eligibility.

This may be the dumbest analogy I have ever seen on this board.
You are comparing the development in offensive strategy to a contrived attempt to pay players.

Nothing contrived about it! People don't like change. It was "always" better the way it was has ALWAYS been the human condition. Players have been paid for decades, illegally. The NIL is new, most of us don't understand stand it so naturally it's gonna ruin the game. Free agency, big contracts, and union rules were supposed to have killed the NFL. They didn't and the NIL won't destroy collegiate sports.

We still have folks, alot of folks, on this board that wish we'd run I formation 2 back sets even though we don't have a fullback (or a halfback)

It's all the same issue, if change works IMMEDIATELY, then most jump in, If it takes time and effort, in must suck so why are we doing it.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I care because this NIL is destroying college football.

citation-needed.gif

Reactions: Rickyvol77
NIL laws are totally different in Oklahoma and TN. Some states have NIL laws that allow the coaches and university to be directly involved in NIL discussions AFAIK TN does not allow the University or Coaches to be involved. Please someone correct me if this info is no longer valid but I'm pretty sure it was the reasoning behind the Agency that started in Knoxville for this purpose.

Just understand the NIL is not some singular set of rules... different states passed different laws covering it. Because these days the one thing we all agree on is we can never agree on anything.

Money will and already has started to ruin college football. Stop calling it the transfer portal and start calling it free agency. Label it what it is.

Hooker will not leave but I do believe a new trend is starting to where the most money will win out on QB’s and it already has with new signees out of high school. It’s just a matter of time before transfers play the same game.

Agree. Doubt Hooker leaves but in general the portal combined with the NIL factor has resulted in a free agency system. Greed is gonna win.....it's already happening.

I don’t know Hooker personally but it appears that he is a high character guy who has great parents. I see zero chance of him transferring. If he had a family and had a desperate need for quick cash, perhaps but transferring would only hurt his long term chances of success in the NFL at this point. No way he would want to take a big step backwards. He is in a great system that highlights his skill set with a supportive coach and teammates. We can’t assume that every single college player ONLY cares about fast cash right now. HH is not one of those guys. Hopefully he sells a lot of copies of his book.

VN Store

Back