Don’t freak out.

Not freaking out. The Avs are looking pretty good tonight. Nice to have something to move on to.

this is not their 1st road game.
Yes it is. And against one of the best home teams in recent memory. Cincy doesn't lose often at their place, but even still, their home crowd didn't seem to affect us nearly as much as their defensive pressure and physicality. We just played like the young, inexperienced team that we are, and they punched us in the mouth.

Why should it be. He is making 5 million a year

Why does that matter? It wasn’t going to be as good as the last 2 years because they were historically great. Rick Barnes won 15 games with his first roster at UT, and it was bad. We will be ok.

I don't think it's an overreation at all to be concerned, especially since we just had a terrible offensive home game against Memphis. And Cincy is an average team, who had 2 starters with 4 fouls almost the whole second half. If Turner and Bowden continue to be this bad, we're going to have a very rough season.
I agree this was probably the worst we’ve played this season, but like I said it was somewhat to be expected when it was our first road game and Turner got in foul trouble early. Memphis game we played ok, just missed too many open shots. There’s going to be growing pains with this team, might as well accept it and watch them grow. At this point we’re an NCAA tournament team, we just need some pieces to mesh and Gaines and Nkumwa to step up as the season goes along.

Last edited:
If they're going to struggle, now is better than later. They'll either figure it out and get better, or will be in the 16-17 win range. We pretty much knew this year would be down from last few years. They are playing pretty good D...just need to figure something out on offense...our shooters are pressing, but shooters usually come out of slumps, especially when they've got a history of playing better

Seems like our guys are resisting playing VA ball for a season. it's not pretty,but they did win an NC playing it. D killed us tonite.

How much more defense do you want? Our defense is good but if you keep coming up with empty possessions you are going to lose. The offense is so bad it puts pressure on the team to be outstanding on defense. We can't play UVA basketball because you aren't able to possess the ball easily because a dearth of ball handlers. If not for the FT line I think we would've been in the 40's again.

Lol, we looked bad. A step behind most of the night on Defense and on Offense everyone is looking for someone else to take control.

Long season , let's hope it improves

I agree this was probably the worst we’ve played this season, but like I said it was somewhat to be expected when it was our first road game and Turner got in foul trouble early. Memphis game we played ok, just missed too many open shots. There’s going to be growing pains with this team, might as well accept it and watch them grow. At this point we’re an NCAA tournament team, we just need some pieces to mesh and Gaines and Nkumwa to step up as the season goes along.

TV Teddy wasted no time putting his stamp on the game with the 2 quick fouls on Turner. I hate inconsistent refs. On one end players get knocked to the floor and nothing is called and then 15 seconds later they're calling bumps as fouls at the other end.

The more I watch this year's team, the more I start thinking about just riding out this year and getting excited about the potential it has next season.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Bowden nor Turner are that good. They are not good enough to lead the team night in and night out. Great role players but not lead dogs.

I’ve always said Turner and Bowden are side dishes, not main courses. I think it’s fairly obvious at this point that we are lacking in the main course department and it’s pretty hard to put dinner together when you only have side dishes.

Last edited:
Why should it be. He is making 5 million a year

It'll still be a decent year, but any team in the country will take a step back losing 90% of their scoring unless they're just loaded with 5 stars...which we will be next year.

If Bowden and Turner don't get 15+ a night this team will struggle. No constant post threat. Fulky and Pons are better weak side defenders. Limited bench output. Freshman are going to have to step up. We need them.

This is the team most of us expected to see. Pons and the rest are extremely limited offensively and not capable of transitioning to scorers. Barnes is looking at a significant rebuilding project and this is why he sought the UCLA job. It is frustrating because Steve Forbes has depth at ETSU that could really help the Vols - some JUCO scorers. A trip to the NCAA would be a remarkable achievement for the Vols and their offensive struggles will be hard to watch. Maybe the European kid can add a spark to make things more interesting until help arrives next season. Anyway this is about the level to be expected given the loss of the Williams - Schofield extreme talent and the remaining roster which collectively are hard nosed defensive players but challenged to consistently shoot a basketball and score.

This is the team most of us expected to see. Pons and the rest are extremely limited offensively and not capable of transitioning to scorers. Barnes is looking at a significant rebuilding project and this is why he sought the UCLA job. It is frustrating because Steve Forbes has depth at ETSU that could really help the Vols - some JUCO scorers. A trip to the NCAA would be a remarkable achievement for the Vols and their offensive struggles will be hard to watch. Maybe the European kid can add a spark to make things more interesting until help arrives next season. Anyway this is about the level to be expected given the loss of the Williams - Schofield extreme talent and the remaining roster which collectively are hard nosed defensive players but challenged to consistently shoot a basketball and score.

The 2nd European kid (Uros Plavšić) won't be eligible this year. Santiago Vescovi should be but he is from Uruguay and has been playing in Australia.

TV Teddy wasted no time putting his stamp on the game with the 2 quick fouls on Turner. I hate inconsistent refs. On one end players get knocked to the floor and nothing is called and then 15 seconds later they're calling bumps as fouls at the other end.
No kidding. The crack squad we had last night (TV, Sirmons, and Anderson) are like an All-Star squad of ineptitude. They are all big name officials, but they are all very inconsistent, and it showed last night. The flopping call on Turner was about as dumb a call as I've seen in a Tennessee game this year.

The refs didn't cost us the game, by any means. Frankly, they were terribly inconsistent on both ends of the floor. But that is the first game this year where I caught myself screaming at the officials thru my tv. They were awful last night and there is no way either team can establish any momentum with the kind of inconsistency we saw last night from a group of officials who know every rule in the book, but consistently struggle to apply them in a game.

I'm not. Silver lining could be that the FF drive byes will move on.
I love this mentality, the thought that you can't be a fan of all things UT and you must chose a sport and never cross the line. Weird gate keeper mentality, do you want to make up an application so people can apply to support the basketball team?
Gatekeeper_Detail.jpg

Reactions: Jack Burton
No kidding. The crack squad we had last night (TV, Sirmons, and Anderson) are like an All-Star squad of ineptitude. They are all big name officials, but they are all very inconsistent, and it showed last night. The flopping call on Turner was about as dumb a call as I've seen in a Tennessee game this year.

The refs didn't cost us the game, by any means. Frankly, they were terribly inconsistent on both ends of the floor. But that is the first game this year where I caught myself screaming at the officials thru my tv. They were awful last night and there is no way either team can establish any momentum with the kind of inconsistency we saw last night from a group of officials who know every rule in the book, but consistently struggle to apply them in a game.
Flop rule is one of the dumbest rules they've come up with in history of the game. Added because they say flopping delays the game. so they call the flop and delay shooting Ts. Brilliant.

Reactions: cncchris33
How much more defense do you want? Our defense is good but if you keep coming up with empty possessions you are going to lose. The offense is so bad it puts pressure on the team to be outstanding on defense. We can't play UVA basketball because you aren't able to possess the ball easily because a dearth of ball handlers. If not for the FT line I think we would've been in the 40's again.
How much? Some, which would be better than the NONE we had in the first half. Not much better in the second.

VN Store

Back