Doctors of VN

Anyone w a breastfed newborn been told to supplement w vitamin D drops? We weren’t told w our older child who is just a couple years older. But the way the pediatrician told us seemed like we should have been so I didn’t ask. Maybe something to do w being born in the winter?
Our pediatrician told us to do that at our newborns one month checkup a couple weeks ago. Said since it’s winter and he’s not outside as much as in the other seasons that it’s just a good preventative thing.

My mom keeps having recurring sepsis. Ballad docs say they’ve run every test and still can’t figure out what’s causing it.

Any suggestions for the next step?

My mom keeps having recurring sepsis. Ballad docs say they’ve run every test and still can’t figure out what’s causing it.

Any suggestions for the next step?
No advice, but in the same situation with my wife. She's been in the hospital twice for sepsis recently, in now for another infection. Just saying that to say I understand the frustration, and we'll be praying for your mom.

@kiddiedoc

A question for you.

My son was diagnosed with Covid, he's 7. He's run a fever every day for around 20 days now. New symptom that popped up just recently is when he gets active (running and playing) his heart rate jumps up around 130 to 140 bpm and then drops back to around 80bpm then jumps back up. It does this until he stays calm for awhile.

His pediatrician has been very active treating him. Were on 4 sets of bloodwork and 2 chest xrays. Nothing in bloodwork makes her think anything other than complications from covid. She put him on antibiotics a week ago and yesterday started him on steroids. She also has been talking with infectious disease to get suggestions. She had an ekg done last visit and didnt see anything alarming but he has an appointment in the morning with a cardiologist. She also set us up to talk with a doctor at Vanderbilt who has been studying Covid in children to go over his symptoms and things that he has seen in other children.

Can you think of any questions we should be asking or anything else that would cause a child to run a fever daily ? When I say fever it gets up to 102 daily, but I haven't seen it higher than that.

@kiddiedoc

A question for you.

My son was diagnosed with Covid, he's 7. He's run a fever every day for around 20 days now. New symptom that popped up just recently is when he gets active (running and playing) his heart rate jumps up around 130 to 140 bpm and then drops back to around 80bpm then jumps back up. It does this until he stays calm for awhile.

His pediatrician has been very active treating him. Were on 4 sets of bloodwork and 2 chest xrays. Nothing in bloodwork makes her think anything other than complications from covid. She put him on antibiotics a week ago and yesterday started him on steroids. She also has been talking with infectious disease to get suggestions. She had an ekg done last visit and didnt see anything alarming but he has an appointment in the morning with a cardiologist. She also set us up to talk with a doctor at Vanderbilt who has been studying Covid in children to go over his symptoms and things that he has seen in other children.

Can you think of any questions we should be asking or anything else that would cause a child to run a fever daily ? When I say fever it gets up to 102 daily, but I haven't seen it higher than that.
Prayers sent buddy. Thankfully, it appears that children recover from COVID better than adults. I bet he’ll be out of the woods soon. Keep us updated

@kiddiedoc

A question for you.

Yikes, that's scary. Sorry he's going through this, extremely rare for a child to have trouble like his.

Has there been anything off on his blood work? X-rays normal? Any other symptoms to suggest an alternative cause for his fever (bone pain, joint swelling, skin changes/rashes, odd bruising, etc)? What was the antibiotic treating?

The heart rate numbers are normal for a child at play and rest. Probably good to see cardiology for an echo though if heart involvement is even a question.

Yikes, that's scary. Sorry he's going through this, extremely rare for a child to have trouble like his.

Has there been anything off on his blood work? X-rays normal? Any other symptoms to suggest an alternative cause for his fever (bone pain, joint swelling, skin changes/rashes, odd bruising, etc)? What was the antibiotic treating?

The heart rate numbers are normal for a child at play and rest. Probably good to see cardiology for an echo though if heart involvement is even a question.

I think the antibiotic (cefdinir) was a precautionary for some bacterial that could have been going on. Xrays were normal both times, so nothing showing in lungs. All bloodwork was good enough that nothing really standing out. One set of bloodwork his inflammation was above normal but by a little. Cardiologist seen him this morning
Said echo was good, no swelling, no heart valves leaking, no inflammation in heart. Sent him home with monitor that we have to record when he's having an event. It's weird when his heart does this because it will be at 80 bpm and then jump to 130, drop back down to 100, jump back up, drop again. It does this for a period of a couple minutes and scares him really bad because he can feel the sudden increase with harder beating of his heart.
I asked my wife how his fever was this morning and she said it hadn't been as high today, nothing above 99, but I sat down beside him and he felt warm. Checked it and it was 100.5, but that is lower than the 102 it's been running.
Wife did mention that the heart doc said hes seen some rare kid cases where the heart was inflamed and swollen with Covid.

To answer your question, not seen anything weird like weird pains, bruising etc. You wouldnt know he had any issues if it wasnt for the continuous fever and now the heart thing. When he first got covid he had several days of lethargy and not feeling well but that was short lived. The fever has been constant daily and now the heart thing started this week. Cardio doc diagnosed Tachycardia on the sheet he sent home.

Last edited:
Reactions: kiddiedoc
I think the antibiotic (cefdinir) was a precautionary for some bacterial that could have been going on. Xrays were normal both times, so nothing showing in lungs. All bloodwork was good enough that nothing really standing out. One set of bloodwork his inflammation was above normal but by a little. Cardiologist seen him this morning
Said echo was good, no swelling, no heart valves leaking, no inflammation in heart. Sent him home with monitor that we have to record when he's having an event. It's weird when his heart does this because it will be at 80 bpm and then jump to 130, drop back down to 100, jump back up, drop again. It does this for a period of a couple minutes and scares him really bad because he can feel the sudden increase with harder beating of his heart.
I asked my wife how his fever was this morning and she said it hadn't been as high today, nothing above 99, but I sat down beside him and he felt warm. Checked it and it was 100.5, but that is lower than the 102 it's been running.
Wife did mention that the heart doc said hes seen some rare kid cases where the heart was inflamed and swollen with Covid.

To answer your question, not seen anything weird like weird pains, bruising etc. You wouldnt know he had any issues if it wasnt for the continuous fever and now the heart thing. When he first got covid he had several days of lethargy and not feeling well but that was short lived. The fever has been constant daily and now the heart thing started this week. Cardio doc diagnosed Tachycardia on the sheet he sent home.
Normal echo + normal EKG is very reassuring.

Do you mind sharing which Cardiologist he saw?

Hashish Madhok Tri city pediatric cardiology.

My wife really liked him and everyone at the office. She said everyone was super nice to her.

I'm almost of the mind that this is just some strange effect of Covid and will run its course. Just scary running a fever that long and blood work not providing a clear answer. Also the Tachycardia is super scary when your son walks into the room with a scared look on his face saying his heart is hurting.

Thanks for your response and the others that liked and posted also. It's been a tough couple months with everyone in the family getting covid while my grandmother broke her hip a few days before our symptoms started.

Reactions: VolNExile
Have not read the whole situation but have they totally ruled out myocarditist? I'm not a Dr, by any means, but have known a few people that had this result. Anyway hope all is well in the near future.

Reactions: goldenvol
Have not read the whole situation but have they totally ruled out myocarditist? I'm not a Dr, by any means, but have known a few people that had this result. Anyway hope all is well in the near future.
I dont think the doctor today thought that was the issue, but I cant say it was totally ruled out. I saw the diagnosis paperwork and it listed Tachycardia. I'll gave to check with the misses. I couldnt go to the appoint because of work.

Edit: so I asked my wife and she said the doc was specifically looking for myocarditis initially but after the tests ruled it out at this time. Has a follow up appointment and will check again.

Last edited:
Reactions: kiddiedoc
So I broke the first bone in my body ever. I have a displaced fracture in my 5th metatarsal. This 239F92F3-DF2C-45C5-801E-15A3F100C3FF.pngis my first experience with crutches and it f’ing sucks. Any docs recommend this? Just bought on Amazon.

So I broke the first bone in my body ever. I have a displaced fracture in my 5th metatarsal. This View attachment 384095is my first experience with crutches and it f’ing sucks. Any docs recommend this? Just bought on Amazon.
Looks like it would be painful, at least for where I broke my leg!

Reactions: SDV
Wondering how badly displaced the fracture is. Used to be treated with just the walking boot and limited weight bearing until pain improved. If badly displaced maybe should have been pinned.

Wondering how badly displaced the fracture is. Used to be treated with just the walking boot and limited weight bearing until pain improved. If badly displaced maybe should have been pinned.
It's a 2mm displaced fracture. The doctor gave me 2 options. Surgery and 4 week recovery, or no weight bearing, followed by walking on boot with 6-8 week recovery. I chose the non-surgical option

Reactions: utchs81
It's a 2mm displaced fracture. The doctor gave me 2 options. Surgery and 4 week recovery, or no weight bearing, followed by walking on boot with 6-8 week recovery. I chose the non-surgical option
When I broke my arm they said I could cast it and wait 6 months and see if it heels or go ahead and have surgery and it would be heeled in 4 months. With just a sling no cast this was the bone between my elbow and shoulder. When I woke from surgery they had to cut some of my tricep and they may have hit a nerve. They asked if I can move my fingers and wrist. I wasn't happy.

When I broke my arm they said I could cast it and wait 6 months and see if it heels or go ahead and have surgery and it would be heeled in 4 months. With just a sling no cast this was the bone between my elbow and shoulder. When I woke from surgery they had to cut some of my tricep and they may have hit a nerve. They asked if I can move my fingers and wrist. I wasn't happy.
Man that sucks. I never want to pick surgery as a first option. I’ve seen too many bad things happen in my profession.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back