Dobbs ready for Gator Bowl

No WOO for me, ever. That was not in the original version, and I hate it.
Just because something is remade and is not the original doesn’t mean you have to slam it and hijack a positive post. By your statement, I suppose you think Al Pacino’s Scarface should not be looked at as better than the original before it? Not sure how long it’s been since you’ve been to a game but I guess you haven’t noticed the entire stadium yelling the “woo” for the past couple of decades? If you want to get upset about people adding “woo” to a song you’ve got some major issues in your life. Have you ever thought maybe people just like to have fun and try something new? There’s nothing wrong with it and no need to rain on someone’s parade. Btw there’s a lot of people that love it and you’re coming off as a Debbie Downer in a post that was meant to highlight one of our beloved VFL’s.

Dear lord,

I dont know who is dumber, the woo haters or their ill informed attackers.

For those among you who feel like Boomer is an insult you really should look into the counter culture movement of the real baby boomers.

And the greatest generation thing....the boomers were never considered the greatest nor toughest generation.

They were, however, the ones that got sent to a shithole called Vietnam and then for their troubles were spit on and shunned by young punks their own age, ill-informed young folks...much like you who somehow thinks the boomers were considered the greatest generation..

Boomers are far from a monolithic block. Some were involved in the counter-culture of the 60s, sure, but others weren't. And that's just counting the first half of the generation. The latter half of the boomers were too young to serve in Vietnam. Yours truly, for instance.

Here's how the generations go, more or less. There's no single authority on defining them, so start and end dates vary quite a bit for all but the Boomers:
  • Gen Z = Teen, or young adult. Born any time after the late '90s. These are the ones who are saying "Ok boomer". :)
  • Milleniel = Born 1980-1996, give or take. Some just out of college, others in the prime of their careers, mid-late 30s.
  • Gen X = A narrow band stuck between the boomers and millenials. My wife is here. Born 1965-1980, or so.
  • Boomers = Born 1946-1964. The only generation with clear start and end dates, because based on demographics rather than social trends.
  • Silent Generation = Some people mistake these for the Greatest Generation, but they're far from the same. Got their name because as kids they were supposed to be "seen but not heard." Born in the '30s and up through WWII. The early half of the Boomers fought Vietnam, but this generation led it.
  • Greatest Generation = The generation that fought WW II. Born in the 1910s and 1920s. Tom Brokaw wrote a nice book about them. They're almost all gone, now. Included my grandparents, but could be the great-great grandparents of younger members of VN.com.
Go Vols!

Just a preference. I need it no more or less than you. Opinions, my friend. You're no better and no worse than me.

My fault for being vague.......to put it bluntly, we're saying "lighten up Francis." Bigger things in the world to be upset about. No one is questioning whether you can/cant have an opinion, simply pointing out that if this was a conversation we were all having face to face, you'd clearly be that guy that is soon standing alone in the corner sipping his beer while the rest of us partied on. Youd be labeled the partys kill joy. Have a Merry Christmas bro!!!

Reactions: VolFaninFla
My fault for being vague.......to put it bluntly, we're saying "lighten up Francis." Bigger things in the world to be upset about. No one is questioning whether you can/cant have an opinion, simply pointing out that if this was a conversation we were all having face to face, you'd clearly be that guy that is soon standing alone in the corner sipping his beer while the rest of us partied on. Youd be labeled the partys kill joy. Have a Merry Christmas bro!!!
To clarify, I wasn't upset nor am I distressed. I simply said I don't like it. That's all the skin I had on the line. Thanks for making it more than it clearly was, Marie.

Boomers are far from a monolithic block. Some were involved in the counter-culture of the 60s, sure, but others weren't. And that's just counting the first half of the generation. The latter half of the boomers were too young to serve in Vietnam. Yours truly, for instance.

Here's how the generations go, more or less. There's no single authority on defining them, so start and end dates vary quite a bit for all but the Boomers:
  • Gen Z = Teen, or young adult. Born any time after the late '90s. These are the ones who are saying "Ok boomer". :)
  • Milleniel = Born 1980-1996, give or take. Some just out of college, others in the prime of their careers, mid-late 30s.
  • Gen X = A narrow band stuck between the boomers and millenials. My wife is here. Born 1965-1980, or so.
  • Boomers = Born 1946-1964. The only generation with clear start and end dates, because based on demographics rather than social trends.
  • Silent Generation = Some people mistake these for the Greatest Generation, but they're far from the same. Got their name because as kids they were supposed to be "seen but not heard." Born in the '30s and up through WWII. The early half of the Boomers fought Vietnam, but this generation led it.
  • Greatest Generation = The generation that fought WW II. Born in the 1910s and 1920s. Tom Brokaw wrote a nice book about them. They're almost all gone, now. Included my grandparents, but could be the great-great grandparents of younger members of VN.com.
Go Vols!

Hmm, i suppose we have read different books regarding the defined dates of baby boomers...44-60 is what ive seen.

Dobbs gets it. He's making easy money now and keeping his health. I look for him to be CEO of something in about 20 years.

If marciniak can run a mattress company (insert joke here) then I'm sure Dobbs will be running or inventing something too

I sing along at games, BUT it really kind of embarrassing to have such a whangy twangy redneck song to represent the Vols. Wonder if it could be upgraded to a rock n roll style rocky top.

Go Vols!
Never heard of the silent generation but makes since there was a gap although I am sure some in that age served in WWII and Korea as well as early Vietnam

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Never heard of the silent generation but makes since there was a gap although I am sure some in that age served in WWII and Korea as well as early Vietnam

It is an interesting overlay, the lives of the Silent Generation to American combat service.

The earliest cohort of them were too young to serve in WW II (they were 15 years old when it ended), and the latest were just barely young enough to catch Vietnam (born in '45, already 20 years of age when US ground combat operations started). They turned 18 from '48 to '63. Except for career soldiers, then, the Silent Generation mostly served in Korea ('50-'53), or in peacetime.

And Korea has come to be known as the "forgotten war." Fitting for the Silent Generation.

My dad was typical of that generation. Joined the Navy in '55, got out in '59. Was in a horrific accident (his ship and another collided while en route to Hawaii), but never served in combat.

Guess you could say they were largely silent in the annals of American military hsitory, as well. Doesn't mean they didn't have great heart, just mostly never got called forward.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
giphy.gif

But for the record, adding anything to Rockytop is messing with perfection

VN Store

Back