Dobbs is not the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute statements do have a way of coming back to bite you in the butt...remember that when YOU start talking about QBs that can work in this system. Dormady reference.
Huh? I said I think Jennings is a better fit for Bajakian's offense than Dormady and that those who were/are trying to anoint him (Dormady) as the starter next year, need to pump their brakes a bit.

Dormady might work well, like Collin Klein did at Kansas St....but we'll have to wait and see.

I would bet my last dollar it is all the same exact people, who like to look at things in hindsight.. then act like they are smarter then the coaches.
Or the same exact people, like yourself who were dead wrong about the QB, and dead wrong for criticizing those who dared to question the coaches decision to keep Dobbs benched (to redshirt him) BEFORE Worley ever got injured. So, yeah, you too can....

giphy.gif

Because contrary to what most yahoos think on this forum, you can be behind the staff and team, yet question some of their decisions once in a while. Even good coaches blow it now and then. The decision to play Worley and redshirt Dobbs has PROVEN to be catastrophic for THIS season. Too much damage was done and even with Dobbs emergence, we are in full salvage mode.

I'm sure CBJ and Bajakian beat themselves up over it more than us fans ever do. Because that decision puts their turn-around season a full year behind schedule. It also made/makes their job harder on the recruiting trail...even though they've done a good job thus far. Being 8-2 right now rather than 5-5 would be an easier sell for the upper tier recruits they are still trying to lure

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Huh? I said I think Jennings is a better fit for Bajakian's offense than Dormady and that those who were/are trying to anoint him (Dormady) as the starter next year, need to pump their brakes a bit.

Dormady might work well, like Collin Klein did at Kansas St....but we'll have to wait and see.

In YOUR OPINION Jennings is a better fit! Don't know that I even disagree with that...just saying this offense isn't either/or. Worley IMO had enough athleticism to be effective but had a mental block when it came to taking advantage. In retrospect that's obvious dating back to the beginning of last season.

I started a thread weeks before Worley was injured and Dobbs took over, about Worley being a bad fit for this offense and it was the major reason why we were struggling the way we were. The offensive line was no help, but I felt it's weakness was being magnified by the fact that we were running the wrong scheme (read option) for a QB like Worley.

My suggestion, at the time was to either start Dobbs, who fits what Bajakian likes to do, or modify the offensive scheme to be more pro style (ie., Power I formation). Teams simply ignored the threat of Worley to run and for good reason.

I was criticized left and right for saying this. Dobbs was heads and shoulders above the rest in the O/W game, but the cynics stated it was because he went against 2nd teamers and such. Yeah....ok. :loco:

I shared this very same stance all offseason. I knew Worley had to run in order for him to be effective against decent comp in this system. He never did unless it was against cupcakes, therefore he was awful.

Your post was great man!

:eek:lol::eek:lol: Dobbs is not the answer:eek:lol::eek:lol: and Peterman will beat him out next year:eek:lol::eek:lol: What does Dobbs got to do to show you win the Heisman which he might just do in a year, but he still is not the answer at QB for us.:eek:lol::eek:lol:

In YOUR OPINION Jennings is a better fit! Don't know that I even disagree with that...just saying this offense isn't either/or. Worley IMO had enough athleticism to be effective but had a mental block when it came to taking advantage. In retrospect that's obvious dating back to the beginning of last season.
I did use the phrase "I think" when speaking about unknowns or when specualting. Some folks on this board have a hard time distinguishing their opinions from fact. They tend to view them as one and the same

Last edited:
I did use the phrase "I think" when speaking about unknowns or when specualting. Some folks on this board have a hard time distinguishing their opinions from fact. They tend to view them as one and the same

I give you credit for calling for Dobbs. I didn't see this coming from him. I just remembered the Vandy debacle. Dobbs has been excellent in this offense.:good!:

Dobbs looks completely different that he did in 2013. He doesn't have the deer in the headlights look anymore.

Respectfully disagree. He doesn't look completely different at all imo. He looks very similar in terms of his style of play and playmaking ability. He does look bigger, stronger, more decisive, and he has better arm strength. However, last year, he completed 59.5% of his passes....this year 61.6% which is very similar. Last year he showed excellent ability to run when he busted 30+ yard runs in 3 of the 5 games in which he played.....he's obviously shown even better ability to run this year as he's gotten stronger, but his running still looks very similar to last year.

He's better physically and he's both more confident and efficient this year as a sophomore than he was as a freshman, but to me, he doesn't look "completely different" at all.....he looks very similar, just an improved version. Jmho.

I give you credit for calling for Dobbs. I didn't see this coming from him. I just remembered the Vandy debacle. Dobbs has been excellent in this offense.:good!:

He had an injury to his throwing hand if I recall correctly and still played. He's grown and matured into a fine QB for us.

Or the same exact people, like yourself who were dead wrong about the QB, and dead wrong for criticizing those who dared to question the coaches decision to keep Dobbs benched (to redshirt him) BEFORE Worley ever got injured. So, yeah, you too can....

giphy.gif

Because contrary to what most yahoos think on this forum, you can be behind the staff and team, yet question some of their decisions once in a while. Even good coaches blow it now and then. The decision to play Worley and redshirt Dobbs has PROVEN to be catastrophic for THIS season. Too much damage was done and even with Dobbs emergence, we are in full salvage mode.

I'm sure CBJ and Bajakian beat themselves up over it more than us fans ever do. Because that decision puts their turn-around season a full year behind schedule. It also made/makes their job harder on the recruiting trail...even though they've done a good job thus far. Being 8-2 right now rather than 5-5 would be an easier sell for the upper tier recruits they are still trying to lure

Are you insane or in denial?

The coaches and all of the local media who get to see practices, have all said Dobbs practices poorly so how would anyone have known the impact Dobbs would have based off of that..

Have you ever been on a football team at ANY level?

You get play time based on how you practice.

It amazes me how you hindsight armchair coaches can't understand that.

I wish he did practice better, it is possible we could have a much better record. It is also equally as possible he breaks a leg first game of the season.

Just give it a rest already, you just make yourself look dumb and ignorant on how a football team works. It is also tiring trying to explain this to people who have never played a down in their lives.

So you people honestly expected a true freshman, non-early enrollee QB to have success with no experienced receivers and average at best running backs? Name one QB that has come in with that situation and had any success in the SEC.

His starters at receiver all season were two true freshmen, a redshirt freshman and a sophomore that is only capable of playing slot receiver. The receivers barely gave Worley a chance to win, you add in a true freshman and there's basically no chance.

Trying to judge Dobbs (or Ferguson if it had been him) is unbelievably premature at this point. I guarantee you'll see a different guy in the spring game and a hell of a competition between Dobbs and Worley this summer.

Ferguson is going to have a shot as well, but if you're expecting to be the savior, keep hoping. He may be the guy one day, but Dobbs has looked better in every aspect of the game from the start, despite what some media have said. Ferguson has looked fine in drills, but his work in team periods closed to the media never had him in the mix. Hopefully, he takes a step forward as well. But if Dobbs improves the way he should with the experience he's gotten this season, he's going to be the guy for some time coming.

Props to you sir. This was on the money. :hi: :good!:

I was way off calling for the unseen RF.

Riley Ferguson is the secret answer here guys.

I really did want to see what he could do last year, but Dobbs is just taking the UT QB role to a whole new level right now. Doubt Fergie could have done that. I Haven't been this excited about QB since Bray first broke out. Remember...he was the new Peyton Manning.

This **** is funny. Especially like the part about Riley Ferguson. Does anyone know his status right now.? Oh yeah that's right he's having his Ut tattoos removed as we speak

He's the dumbest QB I've seen play here in a while. His interceptions were worse than Compdaddy's. All the dude can do is run, but I'd rather have Worley out there instead honestly.

Hahaha! Nice. So you're not a fan of a QB piling up nearly 1,100 yards and 11 tds in about 10.5 quarters of play.....while leading his team to 108 offensive points in 3 SEC games while the previous qb couldn't manage a single td vs 2 SEC teams in his last 2 games?? That about right??

Remind all of VolNation to never consult you about the game of football.

Good LORD....we have over 1100 yards of O in 2 games. Whats the problem...give the kid some props we couldnt play dead leading into bama! Giving up 6 sacks a game, and no TD's in 8 quarters or something. Next season will take care of its self! Did you believe we could beat the mild cats 50- 16 4 weeks ago? That we would be favored over Mizzo? Hold bama to 0 in the second half and have several chances to make it closer than it was? NO and neither did I! But we did beat bama in the second half, beat USC and the cats and have a great chance to get 6 wins sat night in Knoxville! Please...you are the same folks who are never happy and continue want to fire the coaches or start someone else! Just enjoy watching Dobbs grow as a qb and lead us to wins....thats all he has done so far this year!

I love it when threads like this are bumped and most of the idiot posters refuse to acknowledge how ridiculous they were (or in some cases still are). Props to the guy that bumped it and ate his crow. Has VolInMiami chimed in with his wisdom yet? He was all over this thread.

No you won't...Worley is 3 times the QB Dobbs ever thought he was...Riley is clearly the better backup and would be the starter if he hadn't been hurt...He is the future, Dobbs needs to get a hold of that clipboard for awhile and get better so he will be a good backup if something happens...I just don't see anything that tells me he will be the starter for years to come.

We have a winner!!! :eek:lol:

Reactions: 4 people
Read the thread title and was getting ready to flame the crap out of somebody! LMAO!! :eek:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back