Dobbs is not the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the kid was put into a situation during a stretch of games that would have been tough on a 3 year starter much less a rs freshman but some kids are instant playmakers and some have to develop. If this kid is "the one" this staff is determined to build this team around then the day after the Kentucky game and I mean THE DAY AFTER his butt goes straight to the weight room. After he leaves the weight room then I would spin him around and point back to the weight room. Then lock him in the film room. Repeat ad nauseum. Point is if you can't throw a 10-15 yard curl route with any more velocity than what you put on it then you forget about the 30-40 yard post and go routes that we MOST DESPERATELY NEED.
And yeah I know our O line would have been as productive playing jacks over with the cheerleaders but you are the Field General now. It is your team to lead and you have to be smarter than the other 11 guys with the different colored shirts with the physical tools (arm, legs) to GET IT DONE.
I'm behind the kid but if that's the QB he want's to be then I would suggest to cancel my date night and pick up the curl bar and game tape.
Here's to the future guys, Go Vols.

Can any quarterback on the roster do very well in this offense? The read option should go the way of the run and shoot. It simply doesn't look like any UT offense ever.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of vol fans struggle with reality.. Dobbs was the only answer at bama because he was the only qb available, ferguson was out with a strain. I think a bunch of us and even CBJ knows that fergy was the best option but without him being available had to put dobbs in. And for the man that said smh to him moving to another position is about dumb. Whats the point of putting someone out there at qb when they cant throw. The point of a dual threat qb is that they can run and throw, dobbs cant throw with accuracy to save his life. The receivers aren't the best but good lord he was horrible yesterday. He could use his speed at another position instead of burning a scholly and sitting bench his whole career behind people at quarterback.

Worst true freshman I have ever seen.........bd excuse in my opinion. Even true freshmans should be expected to throw at least one touchdown pass in 14 quarters of football. Bray had more in his first two quarters against USCe than Dobbs does in 3.5 games.

He's a TRUE FRESHMAN.:crazy:

I think people have lost what that means since the RS freshman is seen so much and announcers will act like a RS frosh. is a real frosh. Hell, when Manziel won the Heisman all we heard was that he 'was the first freshman to win the Heisman!' never mind he was a red shirt and a good 2 years older with more experience in college football than our true freshman. People still think Manziel was a freshman and think Winston is too. Bryce Petty out of Baylor is a Junior. And red shirting matters a great deal, particularly at certain positions like QB.

Well who are these fabulous qbs? Look closely:

Here's a ranking of the current Top College QBs:

1. Jameis Winston, QB FSU (REDSHIRT FRESH)
  2. Bryce Petty, QB BAY (JUNIOR)
  3. Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU (SENIOR) ★★★★
    ★★★★ Zach Mettenberger wound up at LSU via UGA and a JUCO year. He was transfer with 1 year of JUCO and 3 years of eligibility left when he arrived at LSU. ★★★★​
  4. Johnny Manziel, QB TA&M (RS Soph)
  5. Teddy Bridgewater, QB LOU JUNIOR) ◆◆◆◆
    ◆◆◆◆ Bridgewater started as a Frosh against Marshall (Louisville's 4th game). He managed to throw 14 TD and 12 INTs in 10 games again right on track for most QB progressions and he had weak opponents going for him. ◆◆◆◆​

6. Marcus Mariota, QB ORE (RS SOPHOMORE)
  7. Tajh Boyd QB CLEM (RS SENIOR)
  8. Blake Bortles QB UCF (RS JUNIOR)
  9. Braxton Miller QB OSU (JUNIOR)
  10. AJ McCarron, QB BAMA (RS SENIOR)

Did ya see it? Not one true freshman!

Deserving of honorable mentions here:

16. Aaron Murray QB UGA (RS SENIOR)▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲ Aaron Murray who is a great overall QB threw 8 INTS as a RS Fresh. in 2010, 14 in 2011, 10 in 2012, 9 so far in 2013.▲▲▲▲​

NR. Tyler Bray QB UT (True Freshman) ☢☢☢☢

☢☢☢☢ Tyler Bray had an ideal set of two Sr. WRs in Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore, Sr. Luke Stocker at TE, and Sophomore WR Zach Rogers. Both Stocker and Moore are in the NFL. Bray had a wonderful arm but he threw wild a lot and his WRs saved him many times. Even so, Bray was an INT machine his freshman and junior years because he was constantly throwing the ball no matter what. His recievers helped him out more than can be stated. But a true freshman even a RS freshman having a rough start is pretty normal it even happens to highly rated experienced ones quite a bit since tossing it up always gives defense a chance to make a play. ☢☢☢☢

Some of Bray's Freshman Stats:
Passing
G Att Comp Pct. Yards Yards/Att
9 224 125 55.8 1849 8.3

TD Int Rating Att/G Yards/G
18 10 142.72 24.9 05.4

Rushing
G Att Yards Avg. TD Att/G Yards/G
9 20 -103 -5.15 0 2.22 -11.44​

Reactions: 2 people
I think people have lost what that means since the RS freshman is seen so much and announcers will act like a RS frosh. is a real frosh. Hell, when Manziel won the Heisman all we heard was that he 'was the first freshman to win the Heisman!' never mind he was a red shirt and a good 2 years older with more experience in college football than our true freshman. People still think Manziel was a freshman and think Winston is too. Bryce Petty out of Baylor is a Junior. And red shirting matters a great deal, particularly at certain positions like QB.

Well who are these fabulous qbs? Look closely:

Here's a ranking of the current Top College QBs:

1. Jameis Winston, QB FSU (REDSHIRT FRESH)
  2. Bryce Petty, QB BAY (JUNIOR)
  3. Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU (SENIOR) ★★★★
    ★★★★ Zach Mettenberger wound up at LSU via UGA and a JUCO year. He was transfer with 1 year of JUCO and 3 years of eligibility left when he arrived at LSU. ★★★★​
  4. Johnny Manziel, QB TA&M (RS Soph)
  5. Teddy Bridgewater, QB LOU JUNIOR) ◆◆◆◆
    ◆◆◆◆ Bridgewater started as a Frosh against Marshall (Louisville's 4th game). He managed to throw 14 TD and 12 INTs in 10 games again right on track for most QB progressions and he had weak opponents going for him. ◆◆◆◆​

6. Marcus Mariota, QB ORE (RS SOPHOMORE)
  7. Tajh Boyd QB CLEM (RS SENIOR)
  8. Blake Bortles QB UCF (RS JUNIOR)
  9. Braxton Miller QB OSU (JUNIOR)
  10. AJ McCarron, QB BAMA (RS SENIOR)

Did ya see it? Not one true freshman!

Deserving of honorable mentions here:

16. Aaron Murray QB UGA (RS SENIOR)▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲ Aaron Murray who is a great overall QB threw 8 INTS as a RS Fresh. in 2010, 14 in 2011, 10 in 2012, 9 so far in 2013.▲▲▲▲​

NR. Tyler Bray QB UT (True Freshman) ☢☢☢☢

☢☢☢☢ Tyler Bray had an ideal set of two Sr. WRs in Gerald Jones and Denarius Moore, Sr. Luke Stocker at TE, and Sophomore WR Zach Rogers. Both Stocker and Moore are in the NFL. Bray had a wonderful arm but he threw wild a lot and his WRs saved him many times. Even so, Bray was an INT machine his freshman and junior years because he was constantly throwing the ball no matter what. His recievers helped him out more than can be stated. But a true freshman even a RS freshman having a rough start is pretty normal it even happens to highly rated experienced ones quite a bit since tossing it up always gives defense a chance to make a play. ☢☢☢☢

Some of Bray's Freshman Stats:
Passing
G Att Comp Pct. Yards Yards/Att
9 224 125 55.8 1849 8.3

TD Int Rating Att/G Yards/G
18 10 142.72 24.9 05.4

Rushing
G Att Yards Avg. TD Att/G Yards/G
9 20 -103 -5.15 0 2.22 -11.44​

LMAO......If Bray was an "INT Machine" his freshman season.......Dobbs is just a total suckage machine.

So you people honestly expected a true freshman, non-early enrollee QB to have success with no experienced receivers and average at best running backs? Name one QB that has come in with that situation and had any success in the SEC.

His starters at receiver all season were two true freshmen, a redshirt freshman and a sophomore that is only capable of playing slot receiver. The receivers barely gave Worley a chance to win, you add in a true freshman and there's basically no chance.

Trying to judge Dobbs (or Ferguson if it had been him) is unbelievably premature at this point. I guarantee you'll see a different guy in the spring game and a hell of a competition between Dobbs and Worley this summer.

Ferguson is going to have a shot as well, but if you're expecting to be the savior, keep hoping. He may be the guy one day, but Dobbs has looked better in every aspect of the game from the start, despite what some media have said. Ferguson has looked fine in drills, but his work in team periods closed to the media never had him in the mix. Hopefully, he takes a step forward as well. But if Dobbs improves the way he should with the experience he's gotten this season, he's going to be the guy for some time coming.

Reactions: 7 people
Dobbs' problem isn't accuracy. A few of his throws were high but catchible. 3 catches were taken away by pretty good defensive plays. okay, one was a penalty that resulted in a player expulsion.
His problems ly in not reading defenses, especially when there are 9 in the box and not seeing defenders. Those are true freshman problems.

So you people honestly expected a true freshman, non-early enrollee QB to have success with no experienced receivers and average at best running backs? Name one QB that has come in with that situation and had any success in the SEC.

His starters at receiver all season were two true freshmen, a redshirt freshman and a sophomore that is only capable of playing slot receiver. The receivers barely gave Worley a chance to win, you add in a true freshman and there's basically no chance.

Trying to judge Dobbs (or Ferguson if it had been him) is unbelievably premature at this point. I guarantee you'll see a different guy in the spring game and a hell of a competition between Dobbs and Worley this summer.

Ferguson is going to have a shot as well, but if you're expecting to be the savior, keep hoping. He may be the guy one day, but Dobbs has looked better in every aspect of the game from the start, despite what some media have said. Ferguson has looked fine in drills, but his work in team periods closed to the media never had him in the mix. Hopefully, he takes a step forward as well. But if Dobbs improves the way he should with the experience he's gotten this season, he's going to be the guy for some time coming.

DeerPark12, they'll run you out of here if you keep on with that sane, logical, talk.

Wow so first Worley is the worst QB in our history and everybody was screaming for Dobbs saying he was MUCH better. Then Peterman was the worst QB UT has ever had and everybody screamed for Dobbs again. Now Dobbs is the worst QB we have ever seen and I guess Ferguson is so much better right?

Some of you all are dumber than a bag of hammers. And next season if Ferguson stinks it up who are you gonna clamor for then? Worely has the most experience and I believe he will be the starter next season.

I'll admit, when I first saw Dobbs and his cannon arm and running ability, I thought he would us to new levels. I was wrong. Yeah, he can run, but his pocket presence and ability to throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield accurately is terrible. I'm not sure if that can be taught during the offseason or not. When you don't throw a single touchdown pass in any game you play, there is something wrong. Here is to hoping the QB competition in the spring will yield a good QB for us next year. As much as I was disappointed in Worleys play, we would have won against Vanderbilt and probably would have been competitive against Missouri. Between Worley, Ferguson and Dobbs, surely we have a competent SEC QB going forward.
Old saying about the strength of the chain is measured by it weakest link. Don't think Dobbs is the weakest link in this chain!

I will only say one thing about this and that is that no matter how bad Dobbs was playing Saturday night on the 3rd and 2 our last possession it maybe would have been a good idea to try a 5 yard play action pass or something of the like. It's pretty much insanity to try to run up the gut when the opposing D is selling out to stop the run with 9 in the box. I'm not a coach making millions, but, it would seem to me that this game may have turned out differently had some wiser decisions been made. I know that I've regurgitated this in multiple posts, but it's very frustrating.

I don't think he is the guy. Maybe in time.

But, from the play calling Saturday it sure seems like the staff doesn't believe in him.

It would help if Dobbs could manage to read a defense with any sort of consistency. Of course, this will change in time (I think), so it's probably too early to judge from that standpoint.

The playbook for the kid is very limited. It seems like half of our offense is based on that "read option" that isn't really a read play in the normal sense, but a halfback off-tackle play with a QB option attached if everyone crashes down. It'd be nice to work a little more off that play and tie together some quick passes in that package to help the QB out a little bit. Of course, maybe the playbook is limited because what Dobbs can do is limited. I don't really know what goes on in practice so I can't speculate on what they're doing as far as the amount of packages they work on with Dobbs.

How are some people so ****ing stupid? He a freshman that has played 4 games, 3 of those against top ranked teams. Of course he doesn't ****ing look good.

I'll admit, when I first saw Dobbs and his cannon arm and running ability, I thought he would us to new levels. I was wrong. Yeah, he can run, but his pocket presence and ability to throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield accurately is terrible. Between Worley, Ferguson and Dobbs, surely we have a competent SEC QB going forward.

Hopefully it is Riley. Because Dobbs really should have showed some improvement over the last half of the season. Not giving up on him but depending on Riley winning qb spot he would be a James banks type hopefully.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

One thing, and one thing only, is going to save this program. Stability. Stability in the coaching staff, the play book, and the systems and schemes. Until we have 2-3 years of complete stability, we will always be starting over, and always underperforming. It's not about Dobbs, Bajakian, Jones, the AD, or any one other thing. It's about stability. And until then, there will be crappy performances, disappointments, losses.

Vol fans need to get their heads totally wrapped around this concept and embrace it, because taking these lumps is what's going to allow the future successes to occur. You can hope to see fewer lumps as we go along, but this program has a cancer, and it's not going to be cured in the first round of treatment. It's going to take patience. Fans who don't have any can feel free to wallow in their own misery while the rest of us nourish it back to health.

I actually don't think we are that far from a 7-8 win team. I'm not sure it happens next year but if you look at three games this year: UF, UGA and Vandy--they were all winnable. Now, can we beat the Sooners on the road next year? Probably not but if Jones can manage to get us to where we can at least go .500 in the SEC then things could turn around pretty quickly.

We have one decent receiver to throw to and he was injured Saturday. I say decent because North is a true Freshman and still learning how to run routes. Receivers that can't get open or catch the ball when they are will make any quarterback look bad. We don't even have a TE that is any threat to speak of. I see no reason to give up on Dobbs he was put in a no win situation. Without Pigs block in the back everyone would say once Dobbs gets some receivers he will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back