Do yall truly believe Springer and Johnson are one and done?

I don't blame them if they go dude, chill. I am just saying they aren't ready for the NBA right now that doesn't mean in a years time they might not be. Keon is further along than Springer in my opinion and I am glad they are here for at least a year, sure they might get developed quicker by leaving I don't follow the NBA or it's developmental leagues like I used too. I love both of them, they both still got a ton to work on is all I am saying. In the end it's not my or your decision to make it's theirs. Many thought James was going to be one and done and James is a very good player. I am just glad Barnes doesn't live and die by one and done's, it's not a model for consistency. I like how Barnes looks for the team concept type of player no matter if it's a 3 or 5 star. GBO!!!!

I'm no talent evaluator, but both freshman are way ahead of James talent wise IMO

Not saying James isn't good, but he's not at their level

They are ready simply because they are considered NBA talents and first round picks. They can develop at the pro level much faster than in college. Basically it's part time training vs full time training.

I know this is about Springer and Johnson, but I wouldn't be surprised if James tests the draft this year to get feedback before his Jr year.

Springer reminds me a lot of Malcolm Brogdon. Kind of a combo guard, but big and physical for a guard. Not elite athleticism, but good athletes.

Keon reminds me of a bigger Donovan Mitchell for some reason. Elite athleticism, very good handle, attacks the basket at will, good midrange game. Donovan was much more advanced on offense than Keon will be next year most likely. Keon does have that type of potential on offense, but really needs to work on his 3 ball. Defensively though, he's better than Mitchell and should be long term given his size. He's got 4 inches in height, and presumably an edge in wingspan as well.

Long story short, yes they should be first rounders.

Springer reminds me a lot of Malcolm Brogdon. Kind of a combo guard, but big and physical for a guard. Not elite athleticism, but good athletes.

Keon reminds me of a bigger Donovan Mitchell for some reason. Elite athleticism, very good handle, attacks the basket at will, good midrange game. Donovan was much more advanced on offense than Keon will be next year most likely. Keon does have that type of potential on offense, but really needs to work on his 3 ball. Defensively though, he's better than Mitchell and should be long term given his size. He's got 4 inches in height, and presumably an edge in wingspan as well.

Long story short, yes they should be first rounders.

The Springer/Brogdon comp is a great one

Agree and his teammate, Josh Richardson reminds me of Keon. Both elite on ball defenders with Josh being the better shooter and Keon being the better pure athlete, imo

I think Keon’s athleticism gives him a higher ceiling than Josh but another solid comparison. I haven’t quite tabbed a good Keon comparison and I always to do comparisons to what their highest ceiling is and I think there is some Jimmy Butler

Reactions: The Dog
The Ringer's 2021 NBA Draft Guide
The author of this piece also sees Brogdon in Jaden, as well as Kyle Lowry. Uses Latrell Sprewell, KCP, and Gary Harris as comps for Keon
Neither KCP nor Harris are quite as athletic as Keon, but I certainly get the comps. I'm projecting a jump in offensive production from Keon that those two (outside of Harris's one year) don't really have. KCP has been mostly limited to a spot up shooter for most of his career, Harris used to create for himself more, but is more of a third or 4th option at this point.

I see Keon as someone that is more of a secondary scoring and playmaking option. Maybe Dejounte Murray, Tim Hardaway Jr (that can play D), a bigger Dennis Schroder. Of those I see a more similar career path to Murray. Defense should translate early, offense might take a year or two to develop.

The reason I say Mitchell is just the way they use their athleticism to attack the basket in isolation or pick and roll. Keon isn't a good 3 point shooter yet like Mitchell was, and probably isn't going to go to a team that let's him take 17 shots a game his rookie year.

Reactions: Vol49er
Not nearly as impressive as I thought they would be............but they're leaving................and should.

I don't mean this to come across combative in my reply. Just curious what were you expectation were?

Consistently inconsistent (as was the entire team)........ Johnson improved a lot more as the season went on. Both turn it over too much. They should improve greatly in the NBA.
Maybe I expected too much, but I really thought one of them would be an 17-20 pt a game kind of player.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Consistently inconsistent (as was the entire team)........ Johnson improved a lot more as the season went on. Both turn it over too much. They should improve greatly in the NBA.
Maybe I expected too much, but I really thought one of them would be an 17-20 pt a game kind of player.
If you look at the 2nd half of the season or so they haven’t been too far off.

Fair assessment. Thanks for responding.

Reactions: peaygolf

I think this is probably accurate, not many freshman around the country are averaging 17-20ppg...add in that we had returning scorers and this was likely to be a balanced attack, also add in that Barnes doesn’t run a super uptempo system pushing 100 every night, this wasn’t going to be a style that just allowed those 2 to go out there and jack up shots night in and night out.

They have no reason to come back. They are both literally locks to be lottery picks. Only reason they would come back is if they want to play with KC and win the the natty, besides that they should go get that bread.
They will never get a natty with Complacent Rick at the helm.

They don't look ready , but these kids don't care if they are anymore. Springer runs under the basketball, picks up his dribble and leaves his feet too much. Keon is sloppy with the ball and rushes his shot. You only get one shot at your college years, used to mean something to these kids. Money has ruined everything as far as team concept, it's all about me anymore.

How utterly anti-captialist of you.

It's not their fault.. Yeah the money talks i understand and don't blame them. It's a different world now than back when it was more about team. There wasn't as much money around and people cared more i guess.

Please....if people "back when" could have gotten paid a lot more to do it, they would have. They just didn't have the opportunity because pro sports wasn't close to what it is now.

You guys with your romantic, nostalgic blinding glasses are hilarious.

Most of the fanbase doesn't understand basketball to begin with.

Evidenced by the fact that to this day many still see the win over Memphis in 2008 as some monumental victory when in reality....it was pretty much just a good game and that's about it.

VN Store

Back