Do yall truly believe Springer and Johnson are one and done?

Folks saying they “aren’t ready” don’t understand how the NBA works. The general consensus age for an NBA player to be in their prime is 27 years old. There’s a lot of development that happens between now and then. Teams draft on potential and help mold these types of players into stars.

One more year in college isn’t going to suddenly turn them into peak Michael Jordan. They get better coaching and development in the NBA, and if they can get drafted 1st round, then you know the team is vested in their success.
The NBA taking that route is why the NBA isnt the product it used to be, imo. You have max contracts every year for guys that don't deserve max contracts because there's nowhere to put the cap money. I think the baseball rules are the best rules for all sports. 18 year old phenom? Go in the draft. Don't like where you were picked? College for three years.

They don't look ready , but these kids don't care if they are anymore. Springer runs under the basketball, picks up his dribble and leaves his feet too much. Keon is sloppy with the ball and rushes his shot. You only get one shot at your college years, used to mean something to these kids. Money has ruined everything as far as team concept, it's all about me anymore.

The NBA taking that route is why the NBA isnt the product it used to be, imo. You have max contracts every year for guys that don't deserve max contracts because there's nowhere to put the cap money. I think the baseball rules are the best rules for all sports. 18 year old phenom? Go in the draft. Don't like where you were picked? College for three years.
That is why I favor baseball over the trash NBA. The latter is unwatchable.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer

Hopped in this thread just in time to see someone make the argument that a salary cap leads to more overpaid players. Aight.

i think they both would benefit from coming back, But if the goal is to get drafted on potential and work your way into the NBA via their mini league , if drafted in the 1st round, it would be hard to turn down the money.
Benefit how? They can get better much more quickly in the NBA.

They are our best players. While it's not surprising we have posters disparaging them, it's still extremely pathetic

Keep me honest. 😂
49er, is that SF?
If so, we brothers in the same lodge.
Haha, sorry but no. Memphis is my home. Needed an NFL team so about 10 years ago (2011) I was getting ready to watch an NFL game, Steelers v 49ers (believe it was either MNF or TNF. It was the game the lights went out in Candlestick). Just decided that I would be a fan of the winner. 49ers dominated, and I've been a fan since.

That's what I was asking, fan rather than locale.
I became a 49er fan the day they drafted my childhood friend, Willie Harper. Willie #59, was the senior member of the 49ers first SB team (the Montana to Clark defeat of the Cowboys team). I have never been to the Bay, but 2 of my sons have been to several home games. They told me, the only true fans have been to a game at their team's home stadium. I wanted to slapped them right then and there. :D They became fans the game where Montana spied John Candy in the stands. I told them, I can't help that I spent all my money raising their disrespectful behinds. :mad::D:eek:

That's what I was asking, fan rather than locale.
I became a 49er fan the day they drafted my childhood friend, Willie Harper. Willie #59, was the senior member of the 49ers first SB team (the Montana to Clark defeat of the Cowboys team). I have never been to the Bay, but 2 of my sons have been to several home games. They told me, the only true fans have been to a game at their team's home stadium. I wanted to slapped them right then and there. :D They became fans the game where Montana spied John Candy in the stands. I told them, I can't help that I spent all my money raising their disrespectful behinds. :mad::D:eek:
It's been a weird ride for me. Every year I've been a fan they've either made the NFC championship or not even made the playoffs. Its fun though. Really wish I'd have made a trip to Candlestick before they moved out
Feeling good about the first day of FA. Resign Trent Williams and I'll feel great

Reactions: Jazzy#10
I believe both are gone. I believe Springer is the better over all player of the two at the moment, but athletically Johnson is NBA ready. Given Barnes' ability to develop players I believe both could benefit from another year. Johnson has the explosiveness, but needs more of an outside shot. I do like the midrange game he has, but the NBA is a 3's game at the moment. Springer is proven to be a good shooter from rim, midrange, to 3's, but lacks the explosiveness and ball handling needed in my opinion. As many have said, the reason they both go is because of potential. I don't regret them coming to UT and being one and done. That's the price you pay in today's collegiate game. If they are successful this will only help with recruiting in the future.

What UK one and dones have “filled up” the G League? Most UK one and dones get drafted in the first round, which is a 3 year guaranteed contract. You can still play in the G League as a rookie. As long as you get a guaranteed promise for first round, you go. It’s a minimum of 3-4 million, and that’s late first round. Life changing money.

A few years back, I was looking for Tennessee guys and there were tons of Kentucky players playing there at the time. Marcus Haislip was a lottery pick that never did anything in the NBA. If the G-League was around then, that is where he would've been. Being ready and playing is not the same as getting drafted high on potential, sitting the bench, and/or playing primarily in the G-League.

The biggest thing Johnson could learn is his jumper. On the year he is shooting 26% from 3. If he came back and developed his jumper theyre probably talking top 3 pick with him maybe #1. I know it isnt likely, but thats a decent amount more money.

They are gone....will be in development league with big money in their pockets.. Tennessee apparently only pays football players not basketball players ! Slam dunk

They have no reason to come back. They are both literally locks to be lottery picks. Only reason they would come back is if they want to play with KC and win the the natty, besides that they should go get that bread.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
They don't look ready , but these kids don't care if they are anymore. Springer runs under the basketball, picks up his dribble and leaves his feet too much. Keon is sloppy with the ball and rushes his shot. You only get one shot at your college years, used to mean something to these kids. Money has ruined everything as far as team concept, it's all about me anymore.

Keon/ Jaden don't owe anything to UT. Why risk injury and return when you're being promised a first round selection?

Here is where I am at. Would I love to have them back? Of course. But with where they are slotted to go in draft its almost a certainty to go unless Coach Barnes can promise you would be a top 3 pick next year. And he can't do that. Sure the team would be electric with super sophomores and the best point guard coming in. However there you go next season they would likely be the second and third most desirable player on their own team. Kennedy Chandler will make Johnson and Springers stats better probably but he also would be taken in the draft higher than either of them in next years draft. So yes I hope they come back for us fans. But for them it would be almost impossible to pass up first round money this year even if means you will be buried on a bench somewhere.

Okay, so, you're telling me that if you were 19-years old, and some NBA scouts came up to you and said "Do you want to make $15-$20 million over the next 2-4 years" guaranteed, that you'd say "Nah, I'd rather go back to class and make nothing."

That doesn't even take into account the endorsement deals and shoe deals lottery picks immediately get.

Listen, I want Johnson and Springer back as much as anyone, and they could definitely use a little more seasoning, but no kid is being selfish if they are offered that money and chase after it. You'd advise your son/daughter to do the exact same thing whether you'd admit it or not.

Okay, so, you're telling me that if you were 19-years old, and some NBA scouts came up to you and said "Do you want to make $15-$20 million over the next 2-4 years" guaranteed, that you'd say "Nah, I'd rather go back to class and make nothing."

That doesn't even take into account the endorsement deals and shoe deals lottery picks immediately get.

Listen, I want Johnson and Springer back as much as anyone, and they could definitely use a little more seasoning, but no kid is being selfish if they are offered that money and chase after it. You'd advise your son/daughter to do the exact same thing whether you'd admit it or not.
Well said.

Here is where I am at. Would I love to have them back? Of course. But with where they are slotted to go in draft its almost a certainty to go unless Coach Barnes can promise you would be a top 3 pick next year. And he can't do that. Sure the team would be electric with super sophomores and the best point guard coming in. However there you go next season they would likely be the second and third most desirable player on their own team. Kennedy Chandler will make Johnson and Springers stats better probably but he also would be taken in the draft higher than either of them in next years draft. So yes I hope they come back for us fans. But for them it would be almost impossible to pass up first round money this year even if means you will be buried on a bench somewhere.

Keon is a better pro prospect than KC.

VN Store

Back