Do yall truly believe Springer and Johnson are one and done?

They 100% are 1st round draft picks. I think preseason, Springer was a late 1st rounder and his play has elevated him into the lottery. His balance being his biggest skill, which is really hard to teach.

I watch a lot of NBA and Springer for sure looks like he has a ton of offensive potential. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The NBA is a better place to develop than college. It’s not even close. One has nearly unlimited resources. The other limits how many times you can even see your coach. If you can get drafted, you go.
This is something I didn't take into consideration. Basketball at the collegiate level doesn't prioritize individual development as much as the pro level does

Reactions: 08Vol
This isn't bias on my part. I've watched them all year and I don't feel like they are ready to make that jump to the NBA.
Johnson's skill set makes him ready for the move should he choose to do so. Springer isn't as ready but can make the transition quite easily. Both of them will become better shooters with the extra practice. No doubt they will develop faster in the league. JJJ isn't going anywhere and will be a great college player by the time he"s done

This isn't bias on my part. I've watched them all year and I don't feel like they are ready to make that jump to the NBA.
The NBA is way different than college as far as style of play. It’s easy to watch a college game and think that they aren’t ready. You have to look at the individual player. Springer has great foot work, balance, and body control. He can get to a spot in the mid range and basically get whatever shot he wants. Plus he is super athletic and is a great finisher, especially in transition. Keon is freakishly athletic, he plays great on ball defense and he can finish in a crowd. Individually, both guys are ready. The only thing that they need to work on is their three point shot, but that is the case for most nba prospects.

Absolutely, Keon is a projected top 10 pick, it would be crazy for him to come back. Springer seems like a lock to be picked, I’ve not checked lately but he may be a lock for first round. It also seems like it’s been the plan for him to be one and done all along so unless he were to slide way down where he might not be picked he’s likely gone.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Absolutely, Keon is a projected top 10 pick, it would be crazy for him to come back. Springer seems like a lock to be picked, I’ve not checked lately but he may be a lock for first round. It also seems like it’s been the plan for him to be one and done all along so unless he were to slide way down where he might not be picked he’s likely gone.
The current mock draft on NBAdraft.net has Keon Johnson being taken #9 by the New Orleans Pelicans and Jaden Springer being taken #11 by the Indiana Pacers. They also have Yves Pons going #57 to the Sacramento Kings. They are gone... but hopefully have a nice tournament run left in them.

The selfish part of me hopes they come back, but I could definitely understand it if they did not.

Johnson is projected as a top 10 pick....he should go. You can’t pass up those dollars. Springer should if he is top 15, but if not projected as a first rounder might stay

Pippen shoots that much because he has to. It’s pretty easy to see why Johnson and Springer are projected lottery and Pippen is not.

Hence why Vandy is so bad. Every team needs balance in most cases.

And the stats show that TN loses when Johnson and Springer get more shots. I forget the # but we lose when they both are leading scorers.

They could benefit from another year. But NBA teams draft on potential sometimes if it’s high enough.

Agree on both. They both could improve dramatically with more time in college.

But, especially if you are a lottery pick, you should take the money and not risk getting hurt.

Reactions: RockyTop140
NBA scouts,GMs and Draft experts all disagree with your assessment. It’s all about potential.
My only concern about them is they are shorter than most NBA players and may have problems unless they are quicker than they have appeared so far this year. However, I think both will be drafted in the first round and will play a year or two in Europe or in an instructional league.

Unfortunately both are likely to go pro. They can develop their game in the NBA and can afford to get their college education 10x over whenever they want. Long term, no one can predict how successful they will be but their bank account isn’t going to suffer over the next few years regardless. Both will have to improve a lot to get meaningful minutes.

Recruiting 5 stars, just goes with the territory. We will be debating the same thing next year if Chandler is as good as advertised.

Right now there is no reason whatsoever for Johnson to come back.

I wish he would......but he is projected top 5 to 10 pick. I don’t seem him being able to increase that a lot......but he certainly could downgrade that projection, no to mention the possibility of injury.

I’m hoping James and Springer come back.....however if Springer is at least mid first round he’ll be gone too (last I saw he was projected like 9th or 10th).

Even if you love college ball.....no reason to turn down possibly being a top 10 pick.

NBA teams draft, sign and send these type of signees who are not ready to the G League as 2 way players. They will grow and in a years or two, be fully developed. Jalen Green, a player who played with Springer at IMG is doing this. Green was a One and Done 1st round pick.

NBA teams draft, sign and send these type of signees who are not ready to the G League as 2 way players. They will grow and in a years or two, be fully developed. Jalen Green, a player who played with Springer at IMG is doing this. Green was a One and Done 1st round pick.
Jalen Green has not been drafted yet. He went straight to the G league, plays on a G league team basically designed for players like him and Jonathan Kuminga to showcase their talents. They'll both be top 5 picks in this upcoming draft

Reactions: Jazzy#10
They are probably being cautious. They both have a lot to lose if they are injured. I wonder if there are insurance policies in place in the event of an injury like what happens with top football players.

Only real arguments for them returning is Springer is young, barely 18 yrs old, and Johnson is yet undeveloped on offense, both shooting and ball handling. I do think Johnson will mostly sit on an NBA bench for a year, possibly two, if he leaves now due to his offense.

But, if they get LEGIT advice that they are mid to high first round picks, how do you NOT take the leap?

I will tell u the main thing I have seen from, Keon, an undeniable will to win and an elite athleticism. When Keon's wants a rebound especially off his on shot, he is getting, it, relentless rebounder for his size, probably could average 10. But, what I also love about Keon, is the way he rises up, yes, mid-range and almost never leaves it short (which isn't easy to do, Tyler Smith was good at it, too)and scores when he wants to. When he learns to not hesitate, take it straight to the hole and makes the defense react to him, we will see him start to blossom, even more. I'm effed up, but Keon could be on the Mount Rushmore of men's Vols BB players, but he has to give us, at least, 2 years, imo. I expect great things in the Association from Keon in about 2 years

Last edited:
Jalen Green has not been drafted yet. He went straight to the G league, plays on a G league team basically designed for players like him and Jonathan Kuminga to showcase their talents. They'll both be top 5 picks in this upcoming draft
You are correct. I meant Josh Green. But rather than sit the bench, they will play in the G League. Green was the Dallas pick at #18. The Mavs are not letting rust settle in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol49er
You are correct. I meant Josh Green. But rather than sit the bench, they will play in the G League. Green was the Dallas pick at #18. The Mavs are not letting rust settle in.
Haha see cause when I saw your comment I felt like I sorta remembered a Jalen Green getting drafted last year so I was looking for maybe another player named Jalen Green. When I didnt find him I just figured you got mixed up. It was Josh Green that I was thinking of

Reactions: Jazzy#10

VN Store

Back