Devonta Gaines brought in for Defense and did his job

Gaines got put in for a big moment and you play both ways in basketball. Coach put trust in you and you got your opportunity and you blew it. Simple as that. I’m not gonna pout and feel bad for Gaines. He’s a division 1 athlete who should be able to shoot a free throw. He didn’t do his job, his job became make free throws and he didn’t. It is what it is now.
You can't blame an individual player for this.....especially if the proper call had been made at the other end of the court for traveling it would have been ball out and no Free throws attempted by Gaines....

Convince me otherwise. What has he done since arriving on campus that warrants a scholarship?
Imo, he was a gamble to begin with, and a lot of people never realized it because of his hustle. Some just don't realize that hustle doesn't necessarily equal being an effective player.

I personally am not going to hold it against Barnes taking a gamble on Gaines, but everyone most certainly should for subbing him in this afternoon.

Gaines got put in for a big moment and you play both ways in basketball. Coach put trust in you and you got your opportunity and you blew it. Simple as that. I’m not gonna pout and feel bad for Gaines. He’s a division 1 athlete who should be able to shoot a free throw. He didn’t do his job, his job became make free throws and he didn’t. It is what it is now.
If you are a guard on a D1 scholarship, you should be able to hit at least 50% from 15 feet with nobody guarding you. No if’s, ands or buts....

Cute but wrong......LOL
I would expect better analysis from someone who has been here for 9 years vs blaming it on a player...

I'm not. It's RB for putting hin out there in that situation.

Still, he isn't an SEC Player and it's obvious

I’m fairly confident that if you called on me this second to come shoot 2 free throws with the SEC championship on the line I could come and get closer than he did on either shot.

I’m not saying I would make them, I wouldn’t, but I’m also not on scholarship. He played a heck of a defensive series on Jones, and I commend him for that, but it just mystifies me how you can be a D1 basketball player and miss both shots as badly as he did.

I'm not. It's RB for putting hin out there in that situation.

Still, he isn't an SEC Player and it's obvious
Then leave your criticism of Gaines out of it vs now covering your back side and stating it was all Gaines....This team lost this game also and they got rattled......not enough leadership on the floor....we are all pissed off but it was Coaching, The Team and the officiating....not one player.....

Imo, he was a gamble to begin with, and a lot of people never realized it because of his hustle. Some just don't realize that hustle doesn't necessarily equal being an effective player.

I personally am not going to hold it against Barnes taking a gamble on Gaines, but everyone most certainly should for subbing him in this afternoon.

I'm not following this logic; I mean is it on Barnes because he didn't hit at least 1 FT? If he hits both and we win or even 1 of them and we pull the W out, is now Barnes suddenly a genius for putting him in there?

I'm trying not to be too down on the kid but....he choked. He made a great play but followed it with not even being close on 2 FTS, and really we just needed 1.

I’m fairly confident that if you called on me this second to come shoot 2 free throws with the SEC championship on the line I could come and get closer than he did on either shot.

I’m not saying I would make them, I wouldn’t, but I’m also not on scholarship. He played a heck of a defensive series on Jones, and I commend him for that, but it just mystifies me how you can be a D1 basketball player and miss both shots as badly as he did.
Man if any of us had gone out there with that much on the line im betting we completely alligator arm those shots from nerves. Im nervous enough watching the games, much less playing in them. Then again I wrestled in high school, didnt hoop

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Gaines plays hard despite not being talented compared to Keon & Springer.

I had a feeling he would miss both free throws. It is what it is.

Can’t fault him for playing tough defense on Jones considering how many times he got away with a travel.

Gaines and plavsic played so little this year so that is on Barnes. Lack of depth was the killer today as the guys looked tired the last 10 minutes. Bama made an adjustment with their 5 hedging Johnson and springer hard and we had no where else to go.

I hate that for any player...it happened to me once and I was a 75-80% ft shooter. Had to make 1 to tie and I missed them both. Glad to see our team rally around him. He made a heck of a defensive stand on Jones. It was a good call by Barnes to put him in for the length on Jones bc he was abusing SV on the interior. We just got caught by a sloppy desperation foul with our worst FT shooter. Bama is a good team and I’m hoping the rest of the SEC represents well next week. Onward to the tourney. GBO!

Gaines and Uros should've played more this year in the regular season... can't blame them if they don't get any court time. Barnes playing starters late in blowout games and not playing subs, came back to bite him today.
Yes, THIS ! I think Uros, ON, Gaines and even Corey Walker (any for CW) should have gotten more minutes. They all have skills and strengths that could help the team, imo. My biggest fault with Barnes, it looks like we have more depth, than I thought and he should have given these guys more minutes. Maybe, if we had a normal OOC they could have gotten those minutes. Still, I think we are peaking, I know I'm an optimist, but this is based on the last 3 games and the way this team looks locked in. Plus, this Tournament got these guys some minutes that could pay off in the Big Dance

He should have never been recruited to UT.
Clearly not a SEC Player. Anyone of us can shoot better than him

I will trust the coach on this one. He has certainly been a liability on offense this year.

As I said in another thread, he needs to gain some good weight, and he needs to figure out his offense. I believe he has all the physical ability in the world, but he does have some obstacles to overcome. It just doesn't work to play 4 on 5 when you are on offense.

Just needs to practice free throws until he can’t lift his arm

At this point it was mental..... shoot all day you go up there trying to hard and your muscle memory is screwed up. Hard situation for Devontae, this is why coaches will say foul the guy that's been on bench all game odds are he's the most apt to miss. It is what it is, just hard when not in the flow of the game, I've been there.

Reactions: A.J.
He should have hit at least one. My goodness he has a scholarship. Oh well. We played good. Of course we lose to Alabama again. Alabama owns us.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Man if any of us had gone out there with that much on the line im betting we completely alligator arm those shots from nerves. Im nervous enough watching the games, much less playing in them. Then again I wrestled in high school, didnt hoop
I’ve scored a basket before and I’m not even a D1 player how come they can’t score baskets 🥴

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back