Devonta Gaines brought in for Defense and did his job

The goal was to make a stop.
Get the ball across half court.
then call timeout

Questionable foul on Herb Jones

tough position

but he did his job and played his role.

We do not recruit players to play defense only. Make 1ft kid. It was the double bonus too. Everybody including himself knew those free throws had no chance.

The kid plays w a lot of passion and he came in and did his job on defense. Tough to sit on the bench all game and then hit FTs especially in a moment like that. I’m sure he’ll throw up some more FTs in practice this week.

Anyone remember Darius Washington going to the line down 1 vs Louisville in the CUSA championship game? Make 2 and they go dancing. He missed both. Brutal for a great player like him. It can happen to anyone let alone a guy like Gaines

Devonta wouldn’t have been in that position had we kept our composure and not made so many ridiculously sloppy turnovers.

Did you hear that? I think we just got called for another charge too. 🤦🏼‍♂️
I have no frustration toward Gaines whatsoever. He did his job.

Last edited:
The kid plays w a lot of passion and he came in and did his job on defense. Tough to sit on the bench all game and then hit FTs especially in a moment like that. I’m sure he’ll throw up some more FTs in practice this week.

Anyone remember Darius Washington going to the line down 1 vs Louisville in the CUSA championship game? Make 2 and they go dancing. He missed both. Brutal for a great player like him. It can happen to anyone let alone a guy like Gaines
He should have been throwing up FT’s in practice all season. I’ve watched him shoot bricks from the line all year and actually said when he got fouled “ he‘ll brick both of them”. And that’s exactly what he did to no ones surprise

Reactions: BreatheUT and 08Vol
If you want to be honest. Tennessee deserved that, they had costly turnovers in the 2nd half and couldn’t get the stops. Oh and the refs. But oh well

You have to be the dumbest fan there is to say UT deserved a loss!!! I will be honest and say you need to follow another team!!! Tennessee deserved better! If it weren't for the lowlife UF player putting Fulky on the bench, UT wins this game, period! Plasvic was terrible for the most part, especially on D. How many times did UA blow by him? How many times should he have grabbed a rebound and got manhandled by the UA players? Also, the refs were killing UT on the O side of the ball. UT was driving to the paint in the first half. Then, the refs called two or more RIDICULOUS CHARGING CALLS to start the second half!!! Dickey V, the refs, most of the media, etc.. wanted UT to lose, AS ALWAYS!!! UT still lead the 2nd half for the most part and was up by as much as 15. Yet, Dickey V spent the vast majority of the time talking about how great Bama was and the cameras were on the Bama fans the ENTIRE SECOND HALF!!!

It really isnt. You're a D1 player on scholly. They are free throws.

Gaines got put in for a big moment and you play both ways in basketball. Coach put trust in you and you got your opportunity and you blew it. Simple as that. I’m not gonna pout and feel bad for Gaines. He’s a division 1 athlete who should be able to shoot a free throw. He didn’t do his job, his job became make free throws and he didn’t. It is what it is now.

The goal was to make a stop.
Get the ball across half court.
then call timeout

Questionable foul on Herb Jones

tough position

but he did his job and played his role.
Just needs to practice free throws until he can’t lift his arm

A lot of their turnovers were because of horrible calls by the SEC garbage officials that called everything a charge today

Well said, great analysis, I am not one to blame the refs for every loss. But, they were horrid in the second half when UT tried to drive to the paint!!! You can see I am in agreement with you with my post.

VN Store

Back