Devonta Gaines brought in for Defense and did his job

He should have been throwing up FT’s in practice all season. I’ve watched him shoot bricks from the line all year and actually said when he got fouled “ he‘ll brick both of them”. And that’s exactly what he did to no ones surprise

Even worse is he knew he couldn't make them.

Even worse is he knew he couldn't make them.
He was sitting the entire game. Came in for 10 seconds and then was shooting free throws with the game on the line. Do you really think this reflects his true free throw shooting ability and that he doesn’t shoot free throws at practice?

Reactions: VOLED and A.J.
He was sitting the entire game. Came in for 10 seconds and then was shooting free throws with the game on the line. Do you really think this reflects his true free throw shooting ability and that he doesn’t shoot free throws at practice?

He is a 56% FT shooter. That reflects his true FT shooting ability.

We had no choice but to put him in for his length. Barnes has tried to give him minutes but he misses almost everything. I'm not mad at Gaines. He didn't give himself a scholarship. I think it was Barnes trying to get a diamond in the rough but there is only one Kevin Durant.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Seems like Gaines hit some end of game free throws last year that wrapped up a win. I’m not down on him for missing those 2. Vescovi is TN’s best free throw shooter and he missed both of the technical free throws versus FL.

Seems like Gaines hit some end of game free throws last year that wrapped up a win. I’m not down on him for missing those 2. Vescovi is TN’s best free throw shooter and he missed both of the technical free throws versus FL.

Did Vescovi’s misses have a direct outcome on the game? Terrible comparison. Gaines has to hit one of the two.

Hell of a job by ticket as he was ready to do the job he was called on to do

Shame on the zebras for not making the right call his great defense caused

Keep your head up young man!!!

Reactions: A.J.
A college basketball player should be about to hit 1 of 2 free throws, not really his fault though he shouldn’t have been in the game in the first place.

Gaines and Uros should've played more this year in the regular season... can't blame them if they don't get any court time. Barnes playing starters late in blowout games and not playing subs, came back to bite him today.
im sorry , but Gaines, bless his heart, is not a DI player from a talent perspective. He gives you 110% which is great, but nothing else. He can’t handle the ball, he can’t shoot, he can’t hit FT, he’s a complete liability on offense. Barnes has whiffed on a lot of recruits and needs to do better.

At this point it was mental..... shoot all day you go up there trying to hard and your muscle memory is screwed up. Hard situation for Devontae, this is why coaches will say foul the guy that's been on bench all game odds are he's the most apt to miss. It is what it is, just hard when not in the flow of the game, I've been there.
I get what you’re saying but his body Langauge told us he wasn’t going to hit them. He had zero confidence. FT shooting is mental and just takes practice. He’s been bad all year from the FT line and should have been putting in extra time after practice to learn to hit them

I get what you’re saying but his body Langauge told us he wasn’t going to hit them. He had zero confidence. FT shooting is mental and just takes practice. He’s been bad all year from the FT line and should have been putting in extra time after practice to learn to hit them

Yep he’s 50% this year 72% last year when he played more. Yeah it was in his head before the ref handed him the ball.1A1B5E8F-9717-4AD6-8D79-A2D560015D08.jpeg

Hadn't UT blown a 15 point lead BEFORE bringing in Gaines? It's not on him, maybe he should have been brought in with 12 minutes left since the rest of the team had quit on defense by that point.

Reactions: A.J.
Almost like more goes into winning or losing the game than two free throws.....

Not really. Makes 2 and we are up one pt and have a chance to win. So at that moment that had everything to do with winning and losing. Dude just choked. Hey at least he didn’t air ball them.

And ironically was the reason Gaines was put into the game yesterday.

I thought Gaines wasn’t even really fouled. We shouldn’t have played sloppy ball in the 2nd half to let Bama get back into the game so I don’t blame Gaines for the loss.

Two good points.

I said from the beginning Gaines tend to fall or grt off balance easily.

Yes, and the silly unforced errors when we had opportunities to stick a final fork in Bamer came back to haunt us.

Ultimately you can't have a guy you recruited for the guard - small forward position shooting FTs like Shaq.

Quite honestly, no one who understands body language had any belief that DG was going to step up and hit those shots. He walked down the floor like he wished he had never been put in that spot, looked scared to death when the official handed him the ball and then it was...well, ugly. He has zero confidence in himself, and I told the group of family members (UK fans) I was watching the game with, as soon as he was fouled, that he had no shot at hitting either one of them. I'd bet my house on an 0-2.

Scotty Hopson missed a FT to send us to the Final 4. Players miss shots. And even good players miss shots in game deciding situations. Need some ice in your veins

Reactions: Sudden Impact

I don't recall the game/s, but he definitely did in one game. Gaines did not lose this game by any stretch. Getting outscored 40-20 and having double digit turnovers in the second half did. I thought we looked tired at the end of the 1st half, and we were tired in the 2nd half.

After Gaines missed the first he began blowing into his hands and wiping them on his shorts. I knew it was over, and he would miss at that point. His nerves were palpable.

I hope he keeps his head up and learns to brush it off, because that’s the only mindset that will allow him to improve his shooting.

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back