Describe The Strip in the 60s-90s

There were plenty of bars not located at the strip. The Mouse's ear was in the same place on Kingston Pike. The Village Barn and a few other clubs on the Asheville Hwy .
There was a club, Brownsville Station, located in the Y as you go up the hill on Cumberland going towards downtown.
Many of motels had some pretty good bars.
Knoxville was not lacking for a place to party.

I thought it was Bradley's Station....that had a TGIF under it?

just realized I responded to a 2012 thread....jeeez

and BTW, I was told that Sassy Ann is now closed

Last edited:
Early 70’s had Sam&Andy’s, Roman Room, Copper Cellar, Athletic House, and a few shops and bars that changed names every 6 months. Most of the cheap partying was Asheville Hwy, Alcoa Hwy. Old City came later in the 80’s.

Nobody has mentioned "The Carousel". I don't even remember the location but was just below the top of a hill. Ended up there by mistake one night with my cousin after a ball game. It would fit in just right with today's climate. lol That was mid to late 70's.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Had a friend who was arrested for flying the American flag on the bumper of his pu truck. Strip or Kingston pk. He thought he was being patriotic.
Supreme court later ruled you could burn the flag. He later committed suicide.
Today people wear the flag as clothing, and think they are being patriotic.

1960 had a UT student killed while throwing snowballs at cars on Cumberland. Truck driver shot him.

The strip was definitely unique back then and where young people congregated. Loud, fun, kinda dirty, crazy at times and was a pretty big part of UT student life

That was insane. It went on for a week, we climbed up on top of the building across from Sam and Andy's with our coolers for a birds eye view. I don't think anybody in the country topped what was going on in Knoxville.

yep....weren't too many inhibitions

The Big Bama pep rally of "78" was something else on the strip, people were up on buildings, the strip was full of people in the street, it looked like
Madi Gras and then the Big policemen came out and walked shoulder to shoulder to clear the strip and everyone ran on top of the buildings and
I remember a patty wagon just backed up to the front door of the Last Lap and started loading up people, it was a pep rally to remember for sure.

That was insane. It went on for a week, we climbed up on top of the building across from Sam and Andy's with our coolers for a birds eye view. I don't think anybody in the country topped what was going on in Knoxville.
I was on campus then ... but somehow missed this event. But later on, in 76 or 77, I was in the streak basketball game in Melrose courtyard. I sure hope nobody took pics -- this was before cell phones, thank goodness.

dear bamahatr,i was a bartender at the lapfrom 72 to t5.then i was at Dan and Gracie's ontwentieth.yes, we had a great air hockey table and the first pong machine where i played doubles with tomm west(the highjumper)to win lots of beer .the crowd was good and fun.gracie had her cigar and cup of Jack.pappy was running the place with his son dan(the worm).a good life and time for all.idol,west, sam henry, coy, the professor,andfootball players,track men(from which the LastLap was named).probably served you a beer or three,as we used to say,and w2as happy to do so go big orange, uncle
I used to go to Dan and Gracie's and Also Alice's Restaurant which later turned into Bondullies.....not sure about the spelling, anyway like my Dad always said to me, "You can never go back" and that is sad but true....

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back