Describe The Strip in the 60s-90s

BigSteve09

Moran
I only know the 2000s Strip from trips and my attendance at the Univ.

I've heard that in the 70s-80s there was no Old City or Market Square so all of the bars in town were on The Strip. This made for an interesting collection of young and old.

School me, please.

There were plenty of bars not located at the strip. The Mouse's ear was in the same place on Kingston Pike. The Village Barn and a few other clubs on the Asheville Hwy .
There was a club, Brownsville Station, located in the Y as you go up the hill on Cumberland going towards downtown.
Many of motels had some pretty good bars.
Knoxville was not lacking for a place to party.

There were plenty of bars not located at the strip. The Mouse's ear was in the same place on Kingston Pike. The Village Barn and a few other clubs on the Asheville Hwy .
There was a club, Brownsville Station, located in the Y as you go up the hill on Cumberland going towards downtown.
Many of motels had some pretty good bars.
Knoxville was not lacking for a place to party.

:boobies:

In the early 70's the drinking age was 18. Driver's Licenses were cardboard cards with no pictures and easily modified/faked. If you looked close to 18, you had no problem gaining access to most clubs if you didn't cause problems. The crowd was much younger than today's.

Usually, there was at least one decent band playing one of the half-dozen bars on the strip. There were other clubs not on the strip, but the strip was the "in" place to hang.

Good times, good times.

Reactions: Wireless1
I was there in the 90s, it was never the Taj Mahal but it's status now is absurd. It is a dump.

I have lived in Knoxville my entire life (50 years will be 51 this year) and for me the strip as always looked the same just with different paint and different names on the store fronts. Back in the 70's and 80's it would get crazy during football season and law enforcement turned more of a blind eye towards the drinking and partying.

I had fun there between the ages of 19-22. Now I avoid the bars down there. I agree with who ever said its a dump. Really an eye sore. The football program should invest money to clean it up. Would help with recruiting in the long run.

I had fun there between the ages of 19-22. Now I avoid the bars down there. I agree with who ever said its a dump. Really an eye sore. The football program should invest money to clean it up. Would help with recruiting in the long run.

The city is apparently going to fix it up with a median and other things and try to make it pedestrian friendly. The only good bar on Cumberland now is the Half Barrel.

The atmosphere on the strip has changed because it use to be packed with plenty of places for underage drinking, that has been cracked down on a significant amount over the past 10 to 15 years and watering holes are not as many now.

The city is apparently going to fix it up with a median and other things and try to make it pedestrian friendly. The only good bar on Cumberland now is the Half Barrel.

I've seen the plans and it looks real nice but its one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' kind of things.

Add in O'charleys and those beat anything left

I used to know a girl that worked there and would drink practically for free (we would drink 4 pitchers and she would charge us for one). Other than that I hared going there because of the douchy-dos that hung out there.

I remember eating at a Pizza Hut before we went to the Jacksons concert at Neyland back in 1984/1985. We went to the Saturday show and they ended up selling out Fri-Sunday shows at Neyland... maybe even Monday show also?

I was a freshman in 99, and I really enjoyed Moose's, McGee's, and Campus Pub. The pub had 50 cent beers every Wednesday, and they were too busy to card. It was awesome until a dummy decided to start throwing beer bottles into the crowd.
Great live music on the strip, too.

Reactions: rocytop2624
I was a freshman in 99, and I really enjoyed Moose's, McGee's, and Campus Pub. The pub had 50 cent beers every Wednesday, and they were too busy to card. It was awesome until a dummy decided to start throwing beer bottles into the crowd.
Great live music on the strip, too.

iirc Bray was on an UO visit in '99. Coincidence?

Reactions: 2 people
Did anybody ever go to the Press Box Lounge in the hotel up the hill on 17th ST? I used to hang out there for a few yrs in late 70s/early 80s.

I remember eating at a Pizza Hut before we went to the Jacksons concert at Neyland back in 1984/1985. We went to the Saturday show and they ended up selling out Fri-Sunday shows at Neyland... maybe even Monday show also?
I was at one of those shows

VN Store

Back