Describe The Strip in the 60s-90s

The Cat’s Meow, a funky restaurant & bar in the block between 22nd and the overpass. Charles Irvine used to work there. He was hired by the Copper Cellar and worked as a floor manager the years that I was employed there. I believe that he owns Sullivan’s Fine Foods, now.

The Cat’s Meow, a funky restaurant & bar in the block between 22nd and the overpass. Charles Irvine used to work there. He was hired by the Copper Cellar and worked as a floor manager the years that I was employed there. I believe that he owns Sullivan’s Fine Foods, now.

I thought that it was east of 22nd rather than west of 22nd. A little before my time though, so I’m not sure.

I checked street view for Cumberland and it was sad to see several of the buildings that I spent many hours in replaced with the monstrosities. Particularly the area that once included First TN Bank, Pickle-U-Pub, Bundulee’s.

Reactions: Tin Man
Library, Last Lap, Tap room, Longbranch, the Annex. If we struck out at one of those, then we would begrudgingly go to Ivy's for easy pickins.

Sam and Andy’s for a steamed sub when you just had to spend some of your quarterly funds at Sam and Andy’s. It didn’t matter if you ate vegetable chowder for the weeks that followed. Had to have that Sam and Andy’s fix. And yes, those burgers cooked over charcoal trumped the steamed subs on occasion.

can't remember if I posted this but (era 1979 - 1990)

1. Tap Room had the nastiest bathrooms in town.
2. Old College Inn was a good place to meet the womens
3. Antonio's Pizza buffet was the greatest meal in town. His daughters were hot and it was a cheap place to drink at night.
4. Sam and Andy's for sammies
5. Vic and Bills for bands and a giant plate of french fries
6. Hobos for bands
7. Bundulee's for bands
8. Ruby Tuesday's court yard for date drinks
9. Gabby's was a disaster but the ladies liked it. (I think that's what it was called - it was a fern bar for awhile).

can't remember if I posted this but (era 1979 - 1990)

1. Tap Room had the nastiest bathrooms in town.
2. Old College Inn was a good place to meet the womens
3. Antonio's Pizza buffet was the greatest meal in town. His daughters were hot and it was a cheap place to drink at night.
4. Sam and Andy's for sammies
5. Vic and Bills for bands and a giant plate of french fries
6. Hobos for bands
7. Bundulee's for bands
8. Ruby Tuesday's court yard for date drinks
9. Gabby's was a disaster but the ladies liked it. (I think that's what it was called - it was a fern bar for awhile).

I was there from 1989-93 then again in 95. I agree with everything you say

Even though I was under 21 for most of college (started young), most places took UT IDs. Cops were not concerned about UT students drinking but wanted to keep the local HS kids out. I remember the liquor store by OCharlies ran an ad in the UT paper stating "we take UT IDs." Stated police policy was "we do not smell cups". As long as we had it in a cup, we got a pass. They seemed happy as long as we were walking (not driving) and not acting totally like fools.

Lap and Library were go to's for my crowd and we went to both and rarely differentiated. Library was live music, Lap was jukebox. We nearly always hit both

OCI was for early night food before or late night "dining" after drinking.

Old City was just getting rolling in early 90s but was in full swing by 95. Never really found my groove there. I was too young when it was getting started and felt too old by 95 when I was back for Graduate work.

Antonio's Pizza buffet was awesome and I still have dreams about it. Perhaps Knoxville's best kept secret in the early 90s

Gus' Good Times Deli was a mainstay for us (and still is for my family). Seemed like Gus never left and never slept. Many times I would go there early (if my parents were in town for and early game for breakfast), occasionally back for lunch the same day, then hit it late night after drinking into the morning. Gus was always there. We joked they had the "hottest beer in town" as it was rarely cooler than room temp. Remember the check cashing girls that worked there (pre bank cards)? Gus took cash only but the "girls" would cash your checks for a fee. Anyone familiar with the place knows about the "Gus Tax". You would go in there drunk and somehow your $3 sandwich was $20. It was part of the charm. I ate there so much that Gus would serve me the food he made for his family. Greek home cooking. He was a fine man.

OCharlie's was seemingly pretty lame in the early 90s but was hopping in 95 especially in the Summer. O Charlies as a chain has been a roller coaster of some of the best food ever to nearly inedible. Even now 3 decades later I have one near my office in Nashville and it is very on-again and off-again. Summertime patio scene there in 95 was a thing of beauty, though. Great memories. Live music.

Chilis was new back then and we thought it was awesome. Not on the strip but down Kingston pike and we used to drive there. Again, as a chain kind of on again off again but back then was a good time. we could get $.05 wings and $1 long necks. For $2 you could have a fairly good meal/big snack.

Copper Cellar had a $2.99 burger and fries on Sunday night that later became $3.99 Burger Fries and a draft. Seems like last time I was there (2 years ago) they still had some sort of $6.99 sunday night burger. Those were great deals because they were HUGE burgers and good fries for cheap--prompted by the cafeterias on campus being closed Sunday night.

No one has mentioned Mr Gattis on Lake and their ridiculous buffet/Salad Bar that was also $3 on Sunday nights. I personally may be responsible for the whole chain going bankrupt.

Sam and Andy's was gone by then on the strip but again, Gus Champion took up the slack. I believe (may be wrong) that Gus was Sam and Andy's nephew.

Roman Room was still there (I think it was originally "Sam and Andy's Roman Room") but was dying and "no one" (in my mind) really went there except for lunch. It was kind of a dark, sad looking place. I did have a professor that loved it and we sometimes had class there! (doubt teachers do that anymore).

Last edited:
Reactions: Daddy Gee and CPA
Well you had Alice's Restaurant and the Last Lap on one side of the strip and then you had
Dan and Gracie's Tavern and Yosemite Sams and Sam and Andy's across the street in the mid
to late 70's and then Alice's Restaurant turned into Bondullies (can't remember how it was spelled)

VN Store

Back