Derrick Walker enters Transfer Portal

I doubt if the staff likes him they wanna go that route...

1. Our strength and nutrition is 1000x better than a JUCO

2. You open the risk of him playing very well and others getting involved in his recruitment

I agree with those points but does sitting out of game action for 2 entire years make those worth it. I lean toward juco being best for the kid but underStand the other side

Even if he does get a waiver (have they forgotten this is TN?) isn't he strictly low post. Do they see that much in Kent to trust him to fill the 4 spot? Pons is really looking like the odd man out. Can he bring enough offense to platoon the 4 with Kent? Got any idees on the 4 spot?
They’ve definitely been using Pons at the 4 a lot so far this offseason...

So you’ve got Pember, Pons, Fulk, Kent, Burns, ORN and Plavsic all in the post...I’m not sure they would be hurting for bodies, they’ll be unproven but the bodies will be there. And that’s not counting Gaines or even JJJ who could probably play point forward if that’s something they wanna explore.

I also think you’re going to see Tennessee go smaller and 4 guard a lot so that also would shrink the need for post.

I agree with those points but does sitting out of game action for 2 entire years make those worth it. I lean toward juco being best for the kid but underStand the other side
Like I’ve said I think the staff feels there’s at least a 50/50 of him getting a waiver, my guess is they really like his potential or you wouldn’t see them being willing to take him over a grad transfer and also with the risk of having to sit a year.

They’ve definitely been using Pons at the 4 a lot so far this offseason...

So you’ve got Pember, Pons, Fulk, Kent, Burns, ORN and Plavsic all in the post...I’m not sure they would be hurting for bodies, they’ll be unproven but the bodies will be there. And that’s not counting Gaines or even JJJ who could probably play point forward if that’s something they wanna explore.

I also think you’re going to see Tennessee go smaller and 4 guard a lot so that also would shrink the need for post.
I guess I was hoping for the big experienced Grad to fill the void for a season. You still confident that we're 4 games better than the 15-16 squad? And I still think they'd have been a Bubble team with Punter in the last 8.

I guess I was hoping for the big experienced Grad to fill the void for a season. You still confident that we're 4 games better than the 15-16 squad? And I still think they'd have been a Bubble team with Punter in the last 8.

Who’s out there other than Blackshear or potentially the UNLV guy? The market, at least with big guys, doesn’t seem to be very deep right now.

I think they’re a tourney team, or better be at least, with what the staff is getting paid this should be a tourney minimum program now.

Reactions: VOLED
Like I’ve said I think the staff feels there’s at least a 50/50 of him getting a waiver, my guess is they really like his potential or you wouldn’t see them being willing to take him over a grad transfer and also with the risk of having to sit a year.

50/50 sounds very optimistic imo. I'd assume he has little or more likely no family in Tennessee so a waiver becomes more difficult if that's correct

50/50 sounds very optimistic imo. I'd assume he has little or more likely no family in Tennessee so a waiver becomes more difficult if that's correct
The staff isn’t basing taking him on being eligible, that is my point...they think there’s a chance he could be but even if not they’re more than willing to take him.

Can the team have mandatory organized practice directed by one of the coaches right now with it being the off season?

I wish Walker the best at Nebraska. I thought he would be an all-SEC level player for UT, obviously I was wrong. The good thing about that prediction, I have eaten crow so many times, I know how to make it taste like chicken or I've just gotten used to the taste. Probably the latter

Talented kid but light never seemed to come on. Not a good look for Barnes recipe if you ask me. This should be the time in his tenure that Barnes is reloading not rebuilding. Those clamoring that 3 stars are good enough are missing the obvious issues with the roster if Grant and Bone leave. Other than Turner and Bowden, who is ready to play 30 minutes a game on this roster?

Talented kid but light never seemed to come on. Not a good look for Barnes recipe if you ask me. This should be the time in his tenure that Barnes is reloading not rebuilding. Those clamoring that 3 stars are good enough are missing the obvious issues with the roster if Grant and Bone leave. Other than Turner and Bowden, who is ready to play 30 minutes a game on this roster?
5 months too answer that question.

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back