Derrick Walker enters Transfer Portal

Grant staying?

Grant going and UT going hard after a particular post grad transfer player?

Grant going and UT feeling really good about getting the post player to commit that they are trying to add to the 2019 class?

Grant going and Zach Kent blowing up and ready to rule the SEC?

What you guys got?

giphy.gif

Grant staying?

Grant going and UT feeling really good about getting the post player to commit that they are trying to add to the 2019 class?

What you guys got?

It could mean a plethora of things. It could mean nothing. Just because he enters the portal doesn’t mean a transfer is guaranteed.

However, if Williams declares and Walker leaves, it’s absolutely imperative we get a grad transfer at that point. You’re going in with Burns/Fulkerson/Kent as your big men. That’s not good.

Reactions: k-town_king
Grant staying?

What you guys got?

Also in PA lol. I honestly don't know what to think. To my knowledge, I haven't seen Tennessee mentioned as a team seriously involved with any grad transfer big men. You would think he would've been in line to have a more significant role this season. I'm not necessarily surprised just because it didn't seem like he ever turned a corner. But I sure hope they have a plan.

It could mean a plethora of things. It could mean nothing. Just because he enters the portal doesn’t mean a transfer is guaranteed.

However, if Williams declares and Walker leaves, it’s absolutely imperative we get a grad transfer at that point. You’re going in with Burns/Fulkerson/Kent as your big men. That’s not good.
If Fulkerson improves any little bit and Burns is as good as advertised then we should be fine down low.

Reactions: feathersax
Surprised at this. If any big man entered I would’ve guessed Kent. Best of luck to him if he decides to transfer.

Reactions: sport3500
If Fulkerson improves any little bit and Burns is as good as advertised then we should be fine down low.

If we have to depend on Fulkerson to do anything then it’ll be a long season. I like some of the things he does but 99% of the time he just looks like the most uncoordinated basketball player in history of basketball players.

If we have to depend on Fulkerson to do anything then it’ll be a long season. I like some of the things he does but 99% of the time he just looks like the most uncoordinated basketball player in history of basketball players.
Fulkerson finished with the second-best overall plus/minus on the team behind only Grant Williams. I know stats can be misleading and sometimes that plus/minus one especially is a little baffling, but what you said is nothing short of hyperbole.

You have to hope this is a sign that Burns has impressed during his RS season and in offseason workouts, or that the staff believes there is a strong sense GW is returning. Either way, this definitely opens up a spot for Cone or ORN regardless of GW or Bone decisions.

Reactions: sbm362
Walker looked lost at times himself. All these Fulky comments are disappointing. He has played his tail off even though he looked uncoordinated at times. If he puts it all together like I hope he can. Then he will be fine. Losing Walker is not a shocker.

Fulkerson will hopefully get better, but right now he makes 2 amazing plays and 3 head scratching plays out of every 5. If he's our top big man next year, we may be NIT bound unless Bone returns and James is elite.

Post players next year (without Walker)

Kent - 6-11
Pember - 6-10
Burns - 6-9
Fulky - 6-9

Likely you will also have some combo of
Grant - 6-7
Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua - 6-8
Kerry Blackshear - 6-10

Color not too worried right now. IMO Walker has some upside, but I thought he regressed a bit this year. Kent is the same size as Alexander and has a better offensive game (probably less defensive game). Burns is a massive dude. He can bang with anyone. Fulky plays bigger than his size (needs to add more weight), but I love his game. If he will simply learn to hit his layups and putbacks at 50% he will be an excellent player. Pember may or may not contribute next year (not likely if Grant or Blackshear or both are here). IMO this looks like Barnes and Co see an opportunity to upgrade their roster and Walker was the casualty.

Kent - 6-11
Pember - 6-10
Burns - 6-9
Fulky - 6-9

Grant - 6-7
Kerry Blackshear - 6-10

Color not too worried right now. IMO Walker has some upside, but I thought he regressed a bit this year. Kent is the same size as Alexander and has a better offensive game (probably less defensive game). Burns is a massive dude. He can bang with anyone. Fulky plays bigger than his size (needs to add more weight), but I love his game. If he will simply learn to hit his layups and putbacks at 50% he will be an excellent player. Pember may or may not contribute next year (not likely if Grant or Blackshear or both are here). IMO this looks like Barnes and Co see an opportunity to upgrade their roster and Walker was the casualty.

Even though he's tall, Pember isn't a true post player. He's a wing and with his weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he red shirts.

Kent - 6-11
Pember - 6-10
Burns - 6-9
Fulky - 6-9

Grant - 6-7
Kerry Blackshear - 6-10

Realistically, I think ORN is our only post addition this summer.

I think our best bet at success next year is Kent and Pember shooting a really good clip from 3 and breaking out a small ball line-up that puts pressure on any team that would bully us in the post.

Do you actually watch the games? If you have, then you must realize that white men can jump. His defense is his strength.

Kent - 6-11
Pember - 6-10
Burns - 6-9
Fulky - 6-9

Grant - 6-7
Kerry Blackshear - 6-10

If Grant comes back, we still have nice pieces inside to work around him. Without him, we will be asking someone to take a big step up in terms of contribution. I expect Walker to be gone and us to add a least OR-N or Blackshear. I think that Gaines is more likely to help us at forward this year than Pember. I really think Fulky will help us this year. He seemed to gain some confidence towards the end of the year and I think that is his issue more than anything else. He has some talent.

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back