Derek Dooley to Cowboys (merged)

Speaking of Hyams
@JimmyHyams: Derek Dooley informed me reports that he has taken Dallas job are not true. Said neither party has made a decision.

He failed miserably at his job here, and is leaving town with 5 million dollars. Why should we like this man? You don't have to be an a-hole to see bad coaches for what they are.

Yes, he failed. But, I seriously doubt he took the job knowing the outcome. If he is like most every coach I have ever met, he took the job thinking he would be successful - just as CBJ believes he will be. He certainly gave me the impression that he was doing anything and everything he knew to do to win. He just didn't do enough nor know enough.

As for the $5 million, that is the nature of the game today. Every coach gets a big buyout clause just like the schools do. As impatient as the boosters/fan bases are today, I'd sure want want one.

If your boss offered you a legal agreement that you'd get two years pay should you be fired, I am guessing you would sign it. I certainly would.

Reactions: 2 people
Congrats to Dooley! I believe he's a good man who's better fit for a mid-level school or running an athletic department.

Even still, he should do just fine as a position coach until the next opportunity arises.

Reactions: 1 person
Congrats to Dooley! I believe he's a good man who's better fit for a mid-level school or running an athletic department.

Even still, he should do just fine as a position coach until the next opportunity arises.

That next opportunity might be just another lateral position coach move, he might not get another HC opportunity in college. If he did it would probably be at a rebuilding program where he could add more "L's" to his already, "under the bus" record.

I was on twitter, saw this pop up, laughed hysterically and had to take a snapshot. Hope it makes you laugh too.
Not only is Jimmy over 2 days late on the news, he's denying those reports and then there are 22 other tweets so he's LATE on the actual news too. Jimmy, you're retarded. Get to the retirement home!

I guess it's also ironic that he's been re-tweeted 73 times, i guess those are his "sources" or at least those loyal to him. HACK.

8425209665_0db4c37699.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, I cannot get away from that guy.

Imagine if a former VOL gets
traded to America's Team...

...only to find out you have to work with the
Doolander coach who can't coach good...
get ready for TX press conferences where he
shrugs his shoulders and says "we just didn't try hard enough"...(plz see thread with list of press conference Doolisms already posted...groan)

pity the fools
who fall for this idea...

Imagine if a former VOL gets
traded to America's Team...

...only to find out you have to work with the
Doolander coach who can't coach good...
get ready for TX press conferences where he
shrugs his shoulders and says "we just didn't try hard enough"...(plz see thread with list of press conference Doolisms already posted...groan)

pity the fools
who fall for this idea...

I sure am glad we have been enlightened now, that all coaches must be great Head coaches, if not they must be worthless coordinators or position coaches.

We now know what a worthless fool Saban is. He had Dooley on his NC team at LSU , took him to the Dolphins with him used him as a position coach in the pros for two years, and then was going to take him to Alabama with him, but Dooley decided to step out on his own.

Saban of all things used Sunseri of all people to coach up all those All-American Linebackers.

Some of us thought that Saban knew the limits of his coaches, as he did his players and put them where they could do the best work.

The truth is some people are great position coaches, and just not so good Head Coaches. Its the same in politics, religion and business.

He tried, he failed, he didn't hurt UT intentionally. Send him on his way, wish him well, and get over IT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
millions for failure--only in coaching and corporate CEO jobs.

Also show business and politics. But there is nothing wrong with that - these are free market forces working as intended where it's all about high risk/high reward and supply/demand (of course if you believe in big government and income redistribution you would have a problem with that - which unfortunately seems to be direction this country is moving towards at least if last election is any indication).

Reactions: 2 people
Perfect place for him. This staff has about one more year before Jones cleans house again.Once a class operation under Landry but Jones has his nose in everything and it shows

I sure am glad we have been enlightened now, that all coaches must be great Head coaches, if not they must be worthless coordinators or position coaches.

We now know what a worthless fool Saban is. He had Dooley on his NC team at LSU , took him to the Dolphins with him used him as a position coach in the pros for two years, and then was going to take him to Alabama with him, but Dooley decided to step out on his own.

Saban of all things used Sunseri of all people to coach up all those All-American Linebackers.

Some of us thought that Saban knew the limits of his coaches, as he did his players and put them where they could do the best work.

The truth is some people are great position coaches, and just not so good Head Coaches. Its the same in politics, religion and business.

He tried, he failed, he didn't hurt UT intentionally. Send him on his way, wish him well, and get over IT.

You have a point, but sub 500 in 6 years as a HC and, more specificly, 3 pathetic years at UT leaves a hitch in my crawl and I would just rather he go elsewhere! To some team I dont give a rats behind about...say...Canada!:)

Reactions: 1 person
wil derek have to give back any of that obscene buyout?

Heard no on this. Believe he has to at least have a "co-ordinator" role to lose the buyout...now he's just a towel boy coach...if in fact he has been hired...Cowboys rep's arent confirming the hire yet.

VN Store

Back