Derek Dooley to Cowboys (merged)

So u r saying that bosses that are grade A jerks are never successful?? Thanks for continuing the pusafication of this nation.

I hear that Saban can be very demanding, detail oriented, micro-managing and impatient (from a friend of mine whose brother was on the coaching staff).

Sounds like a bit of a jerk - but he wins. Soooo.........as they say in sports "Wins covers a multitude of sins".

Reactions: 1 person
everybody downs dooley rightfully so ,but he did bring us patterson and hunter not a bad look plus if they fail i am a redskins fan so wouldnt bother me none lol

Ok, but again you are putting the blame in the wrong place because you are incapable of seeing past Dooley. When are fixing a disaster caused by others, it's always going to get worse before it gets better. I understand your mind is incapable of breaking it down that far but the fact is Dooley walked into the worse position UT has ever been in and idiots like you were unable to give him the time all knew it would take to get it done. That's a fact.

I supported Dooley and his cause till Bama this year when I watched a coach down multiple td's late in the 4th quarter go for a field goal instead of trying to get a first down or TD. As far as my mind I assure you I am capable of breaking things down, have followed the Vols for over 40 years. When it comes to time, face it there was never going to be enough time given to a coach who had yet to show any improvement in 3 years. Those are facts as well, so don't think you have the ability to understand me and my jaded opinion on DD.

In b4 he eventually becomes a successful O coordinator and then an NFL head coach

I supported Dooley and his cause till Bama this year when I watched a coach down multiple td's late in the 4th quarter go for a field goal instead of trying to get a first down or TD. As far as my mind I assure you I am capable of breaking things down, have followed the Vols for over 40 years. When it comes to time, face it there was never going to be enough time given to a coach who had yet to show any improvement in 3 years. Those are facts as well, so don't think you have the ability to understand me and my jaded opinion on DD.

Some of us saw improvement. May have been small steps but we saw them. Yes the D went way back but that was always a possibility with a new coach (chosen by Dooley or not no one really knows) and the decision to go to the 3-4 that he thought would be best for the future of the team. Even then we were in games this yr to the end. Not like last season when we were getting smoked by our key rivals the second the 2nd half started. That's improvement and showed the team had fight and believed. Our OL was one of the best in the league and our running game was top of the league until Neal got hurt. That shows improvement.

I don't care how long you been watching the Vols play that don't mean you have a clue what you r talking about if you honestly think it takes less than 3 yrs to get the program back on the right track consistently. Especially with how bad it was. Even hart himself said it was in worse shape than he thought when he finally got on campus.

The bottom line is that Hamilton destroyed the program and the Kiffen debacle blew the top off the popsicle stand. Y'all not allowing him to finish what he was putting together are to blame just as much for being impatient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
We got Monte and Dooley. Jerry can't help but further prove his incompetence. I'm so close to giving up on my boys its pathetic.

Pathetic is the word- 2 former Vols joining the ship of fools commanded by Sir Jerry Jones. How can a man so sharp in making money be so incompetent in managing a NFL team? Or maybe, he doesnt reallycare if they win, as long as the money rolls in ( and it has so far- see how much the Cowboy franchise is worth) Maybe his goals are not what we plebes percieve .

the next announcement jerry will make is lane kiffin has been named head coach of the cowgirls.

Speaking of Lame Kiffin- there is a very delicious article in the LA times of Jan 22,2013 . An long interview with Pat Haden - former Rams QB, and current AD at USC. Most of the interview is about our former fearless leader- who has an 70% dislike rating in the article poll of USC fans. A new gem ( to me) was LK having a QB change jerseys and play on special teams during the first half of a 2012 game. ( what was gained by this violation , I am unable to understand- can u help me?) I am serious when I say I believe that LK has a personality disorder and should not be a HC. He will not survive past 2013 at USC=the fans are fed up with his antics.

What do Jerry Jones and Billy Graham have in common?

They are the only two people that can make everyone in Cowboy Stadium say, "Oh Jesus" in unison.

Some position coaches are great as position coaches but fail miserably as coordinators.

Some coordinators are great coordinators but fail miserably as head coaches.

Some head coaches are great in college but fail in the NFL like Saban and Spurrier.

Some NFL owners are just money grubbing scumbags with little class or dignity like Bud Adams and number 1 on that list is Jerry Jones.

I honestly believe that both of those NFL owners only care about making money and if they luck up and get a really good team then that's OK too.

Bud Adams has never won a Superbowl and I doubt he ever will but he and Jerry Jones have something else in common....Neither one of them can keep their big noses OUT of football operations and let the Professionals build and run a successful team.

Both are almost as bad as old Al Davis was.

It's a sad situation for the fans.

VFL...GBO!!!

WR coach for the Cowboys sounds like one of the easiest jobs in the NFL. Many peanuts will be eaten.

I literally LOL'd when I got this text. Derek Dooley....WR coach of the Cowboys...This is classic (I hate the cowboys with a passion, not that I hate DD....but this is just hilarious to me.)

Some of us saw improvement. May have been small steps but we saw them. Yes the D went way back but that was always a possibility with a new coach (chosen by Dooley or not no one really knows) and the decision to go to the 3-4 that he thought would be best for the future of the team. Even then we were in games this yr to the end. Not like last season when we were getting smoked by our key rivals the second the 2nd half started. That's improvement and showed the team had fight and believed. Our OL was one of the best in the league and our running game was top of the league until Neal got hurt. That shows improvement.

I don't care how long you been watching the Vols play that don't mean you have a clue what you r talking about if you honestly think it takes less than 3 yrs to get the program back on the right track consistently. Especially with how bad it was. Even hart himself said it was in worse shape than he thought when he finally got on campus.

The bottom line is that Hamilton destroyed the program and the Kiffen debacle blew the top off the popsicle stand. Y'all not allowing him to finish what he was putting together are to blame just as much for being impatient.

The OL was suppose to be improved last season since it was their third year in a row of being together for everyone except for Tiny.

You are free to think DD was the right guy but his time was cut short. I went through the first 4 years of Majors who went 21-23-1 but the difference between Majors and Dooley (15-21) was we were more competitive under Majors and we won more games in conference.

People need to stop blaming everything on Hamilton, he had to get approval from the BOT to fire Phil. It is crystal clear he got that approval not to mention some of the boosters had to be in on it as well. I do blame Hamilton for his poor management of Kiffin, Haden controls him. Then I blame him for the poor hiring of Dooley who should have never been hired here in the first place.

Given the current landscape of conference coaches and the amount of ranked teams we face each year. Any coach we hire will have a difficult road starting out but what we need to look for is improvement in the win column not stay the same or go backwards.

Hes not staying in Knoxville so keeping his house if not already sold isn't an option. So your advice and pt really don't fly. His wife is from FTW and so her family is still there. So here's a reasonable scenerio:

He gets fired. Him and wife talk about future. He's getting big buyout so money isn't a concern and she is a Dr. They have children. 2 top places on the list for them to move to coaching job or not...ATL/Athens area (his parents and place he grew up) or DFW area (where she is from). Jason Garret who is a really good friend of his and head coach of the Dallas cowgirls starts cleaning house. Needs a WR and TE coach as of this past week. Calls or shoots Dooley a text asking him "you want to interview for a position?" Dooley says to himself "man moving to DFW with a job will make up for the last 3 yrs with the wifey. If I say yes and get the job the wifey is gonna rape me she so happy. (starts im gonna get laid dance." He sends text back to Garrett...yes and thanks.... Interviews with Skelator, and gives him some dirt on UT and gets the job.

Pretty simple. See where your "don't sell your home" advice just doesn't fit here??

I know it's been a few pages but I thought I'd respond. If that is indeed the case, then hell ya I'd take that job in a heartbeat. He is already getting paid 5 million in buyouts, why not pad that more for a couple of years? I honestly don't estalk people enough to know their entire life's history so I just had assumed he was either settled in Knoxville still, or had moved to wherever he wanted to be (Athens/ATL).

People need to stop blaming everything on Hamilton, he had to get approval from the BOT to fire Phil. It is crystal clear he got that approval not to mention some of the boosters had to be in on it as well. I do blame Hamilton for his poor management of Kiffin, Haden controls him. Then I blame him for the poor hiring of Dooley who should have never been hired here in the first place.

To the contrary, there isn't enough blame that could be placed on Hamilton and it be adequate. It isn't just about the football program where Hamilton was woefully short, although that is far and away his most visible failure(s). He also is responsible for the Todd Raleigh debacle, and the Bruce Pearl fiasco. Although Pearl looked like a good choice until he got caught, UT is still paying for that Hamilton mistake with the resultant probation and restrictions. Lastly, there is Cuonzo Martin and the jury is still out on him. So, Hamilton goes to Louisiana Tech to get a football coach, L.T. that bastion of coaching tradition, to Western Carolina to get a baseball coach, again, where every AD in the country would go to get the best coach available, to Milwaukee-Wisconsin for a basketball coach (a mixed bag) and to Missouri State for the second BB coach. Seems to be a pattern here of Hamilton shooting just above the horizon, maybe trying to fill a position quickly hoping for a coaching steal, (as it looked with Pearl), not having the necessary contacts among the coaching fraternity and AD's around the country to get recommendations, and not having the people and p.r. skills to sell the "UT product" to high profile potential coaching candidates.....among his other AD shortcomings. And, Hamilton basically wrote his own "largesse" exit ticket upon leaving, another failure with blame, in the minds of most UT fans. Hamilton should be excoriated for all his failures, though football, Dooley and Kiffin, will be the failures he is remembered for, and not his total incompetence.

Last edited:
I know Derek Dooley didn't suceed as a head coach in the SEC. But, that doesn't mean that he can't be a good position coach. There are several coaches in the NFL that were terrible head coaches that moved on to be very successful position coaches or coordinators. Now, I know Dooley is making the jump from college to NFL, but it's not like he is going to be OC. Also, he did recruit, land, and develop a couple of (arguably) the best WR in the country. The problem with Tennessee was not the offensive side of the ball. His defense sucked. I am going to take a wait and see approach to this hire in Dallas. Of course, if this staff flops they are all gone anyway, like Dooley was at Tennessee. As a Cowboys fan since I was in diapers, I have become to hope for the best and expect the worst. But, like every year, I will root for them every second of next season...just like I do for the Vols.

The OL was suppose to be improved last season since it was their third year in a row of being together for everyone except for Tiny.

You are free to think DD was the right guy but his time was cut short. I went through the first 4 years of Majors who went 21-23-1 but the difference between Majors and Dooley (15-21) was we were more competitive under Majors and we won more games in conference.

Given the current landscape of conference coaches and the amount of ranked teams we face each year. Any coach we hire will have a difficult road starting out but what we need to look for is improvement in the win column not stay the same or go backwards.

The biggest difference between you and I is that IMO looking at the win column for success to this pt is the wrong approach. UT football like it or not was in the dumps when he got here. You have the "this is UT dang it win should win just because we r UT" mentality. Well that doesn't fly right now cause the program needed to be rebuilt from the ground up. When u are rebuilding a business you can't expect a profit right away. You have to do it in parts and take care of it step by step to assure the foundation is solid. Cfb is to regulated to sit and say it can be done in such a short period of time.

Now Hart and CBJ are on the clock. Because IMO if hart fired Dooley that's saying things are in order.

I know it's been a few pages but I thought I'd respond. If that is indeed the case, then hell ya I'd take that job in a heartbeat. He is already getting paid 5 million in buyouts, why not pad that more for a couple of years? I honestly don't estalk people enough to know their entire life's history so I just had assumed he was either settled in Knoxville still, or had moved to wherever he wanted to be (Athens/ATL).

Glad you got what I was saying. There are always more to the story. :good!:

The guy was only a couple of plays away in a few games from having a winning record at UT. Winning would have changed the attitudes of the players and the fans (we needed more leadership from guys on the team as well).

The guy was only a couple of plays away in a few games from having a winning record at UT. Winning would have changed the attitudes of the players and the fans (we needed more leadership from guys on the team as well).

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, if only, and was only is history and didn't meet muster. We know what the record shows and it isn't pretty.

Best of luck to Dools. I swear, based on this thread I would say most of our fans are pure, unadulterated a-holes.

He failed miserably at his job here, and is leaving town with 5 million dollars. Why should we like this man? You don't have to be an a-hole to see bad coaches for what they are.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back