Dee Beckwith status?

There are still morons who think we should have hired coaches like freeze and Kiffin who have losing SEC records and Norvell and Fuentes who are about to be fired because they can’t coach
Hate to break it to ya, but after what I saw last night, Kiffin and Ole Miss will murder us.

We may have to file charges after the game...

Did I hear the staff wanted to move him from RB and he refused?

Last edited:
So their ranking as high school players is a sure measure of their actual worth as players 2-3 years after the fact?

Gimme the Heupel Scale.

Nope. Those are your words, not mine. What I’m saying is their blue chip high school ranking is a reflection of their physical talent. Not saying every blue chip should turn out to be a star, but that ‘most’ guys rated in the top ~300ish should at the very least be able to provide depth and be an average backup in college. And I listed 8 guys on our team from this year alone who fit that bill and never see the field.

I could understand 2-3 blue chips being complete busts, but eight? Really? It should be more the exception than the rule; and Tennessee has way too many of those. Also, I don’t consider a blue chip to be a bust if he doesn’t live up to his lofty ranking. Most don’t. But most of the time guys who are rated that high DO still help you in some way as a backup at minimum. We have too many blue chips who never see the field, and some not even listed on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Did Travis Henry feel sorry for himself and transfer in 1997... or stick it out and seize an opportunity when Lewis went down in '98? Players these days expect instant gratification.
Agreed. I also see it in the workforce all time. Kids these days don’t want to earn anything, just wanted it handed to them. Kids be expecting major promotions only 6 mos into a job and haven’t done diddly. Sad generation.

Guess we will see what happens. The first big game Kiffin wins as a SEC coach will be his first one
Well, I agree with you on one thing, when they beat us, it won't be considered a "big game" to anyone outside of VolNation...

The real Q is. How does TN recruit top 15-20 annually yet never have any talent at all? Interesting how Arkansas and Ole Miss, who have not recruited to the same level as TN seem to be more talented. Interesting how that always happens with TN.
Said this a couple of times myself and that's why I was wanting the past coach fired. No one at UT seems to be able to develop talent but hopefully this regime is different 🤞

Or maybe they're in a slightly better position with just a tad more expertise than YOU to determine that? I would say that Heupel's history as an offensive coach speaks for itself.

I'm pretty sure you and a few others are trying to rationalize some premature judgments RE Heupel.

By all reports, Milton was hitting a lot of those deep throws in practice that he's missed in games. Hooker played a decent game. Bailey didn't throw deep well at all tonight and that may be why he wasn't #1 or #2..
Bailey was never given a chance, He should have started the second half with the 1's still in the game.

Tennessee dealt with the practice king last season.
Agree. But you still have to go off practice until a guy proves he can't perform in games. Milton has flopped in two games. JG dozens. After his first 7 starts and definitely after his first 12 or so... any competent coach should have recognized he wasn't going to get past what held him back.

That said, considering Milton's full history, Heupel can't afford to give him much more rope.

Bailey was never given a chance, He should have started the second half with the 1's still in the game.
Yes he was. He's been given a chance since Heupel arrived. You folks want to proclaim him the best based on last year's stats without regard to competition or context but then want to excuse relatively poor play last night because he didn't have all the starters. He had guys in the rotation playing with him. He had better players against a worn out TTU D.

Heupel says they have confidence in all three. Bailey showed that he can pick up some short yardage with his legs last night so that's maybe not as much of a factor as I thought. But he didn't look good throwing the ball and that wasn't because the guys around him weren't as good as the guys on the other side. His deep throws weren't good.

I would LOVE for him to be the answer... or Hooker... or Milton. Literally do not care which one. But you guys all in on Bailey need to take a step back and consider he may not be nearly the superman you think he is.

Reactions: KptVFL
Another HS graduate of the School of Quitters. Tennessee has recruited too many of these kids.

I am glad they leave the program to seek their instant fame and fortune. Give me the kids that fight through adversity and stick with the program when it is down.

Reactions: Alto1
Guess we will see what happens. The first big game Kiffin wins as a SEC coach will be his first one
I woukd say beating UGA and SC in his only year here qualifies. Granted he has to do it at Ole Miss as well. Kiffin is a good coach. I would personally have loved Kiffin back here, but we couldn't take that chance plus the way he bolted. Although I don't think he would have left had it not been USC. Can't fault him for chasing a dream.

I woukd say beating UGA and SC in his only year here qualifies. Granted he has to do it at Ole Miss as well. Kiffin is a good coach. I would personally have loved Kiffin back here, but we couldn't take that chance plus the way he bolted. Although I don't think he would have left had it not been USC. Can't fault him for chasing a dream.
So he’s accomplished almost as much as butch jones here?

Reactions: VAVol85
Nope. Those are your words, not mine. What I’m saying is their blue chip high school ranking is a reflection of their physical talent. Not saying every blue chip should turn out to be a star, but that ‘most’ guys rated in the top ~300ish should at the very least be able to provide depth and be an average backup in college. And I listed 8 guys on our team from this year alone who fit that bill and never see the field.

I could understand 2-3 blue chips being complete busts, but eight? Really? It should be more the exception than the rule; and Tennessee has way too many of those. Also, I don’t consider a blue chip to be a bust if he doesn’t live up to his lofty ranking. Most don’t. But most of the time guys who are rated that high DO still help you in some way as a backup at minimum. We have too many blue chips who never see the field, and some not even listed on the depth chart.

And what evidence do you have that these 8 are capable enough players at the moment to see playing time?

Reactions: Raebo
And what evidence do you have that these 8 are capable enough players at the moment to see playing time?

I don’t need any evidence. The burden of proof lies with you my friend, not me. You questioned my post first. However, I do watch and keep up with other college football programs, and most of the time their blue chips are at least contributing in some way…yet not at Tennessee???

Yes he was. He's been given a chance since Heupel arrived. You folks want to proclaim him the best based on last year's stats without regard to competition or context but then want to excuse relatively poor play last night because he didn't have all the starters. He had guys in the rotation playing with him. He had better players against a worn out TTU D.

Heupel says they have confidence in all three. Bailey showed that he can pick up some short yardage with his legs last night so that's maybe not as much of a factor as I thought. But he didn't look good throwing the ball and that wasn't because the guys around him weren't as good as the guys on the other side. His deep throws weren't good.

I would LOVE for him to be the answer... or Hooker... or Milton. Literally do not care which one. But you guys all in on Bailey need to take a step back and consider he may not be nearly the superman you think he is.
I think we agree Bailey is not game ready, especially behind this OL. I had left before Bailey got to play yesterday as my 6 y/o gave her all and slept the whole way home. I was one of those that thought HB could get the job done. However he needs growth in a couple area's like getting the ball out quicker and not taking sacks. From all accounts he has tools but needs a faster clock. As far as his arm strength. I watched both him and Hooker warm up, they both throw with similar trajectories and both put air under the ball. They can both also throw it about 55 yards comfortably to a spot. His arm strength is fine, just needs development in getting his torso around for velocity and following through. Each QB has a few things to work on. If healthy I think Milto will start at Florida based on Heupel's comments after the game. To have a chance we have to play turnover free and get a takeaway or two. DL has made strides, not sure outside of Theo, the rest need work.

You need to take off your "woke" colored glasses. he may not be any good at all, but he deserves a chance based on how well he played last year. Coach H better find him QB that can complete passes or he will not be here long.

Lets look at the roster.

2017 class, these guys would all be eligible as covid seniors or rs juniors. Class ranking was 17th nationally, 7 of 27 remain with Theo Jackson being the only notable contributor.

2018 class 22 signees, 8 are gone, including 4 of the 8 highest rated recruits.

2019 class 22 signees, plus 4 transfers. 13 of the 22 signees are gone and 3 of the 4 transfers. 5 of the top 6 recruits based on hs ranking are gone.

2020 class 23 signees and 4 transfers. 3 of the 23 are gone and 2 of the 4 transfers.

2021 we had 17 signees and 10 transfers because of the massive losses from the roster. We already lost the most important player in the class due to idiocy in Salter.

So the "talent" here in large part isn't here. You remove the people from those classes that are gone and they tumble into the mid 40s to mid 50s or lower in the 17, 18, and 19 classes. The 2017 and 2019 class with it's losses probably goes into the 60s or 70s.
Absolutely. And I'll add to this that "Top 10-15" (as the guy you were responding to said) means bottom quarter of the SEC.

VN Store

Back