Dee Beckwith status?

How good would Hooker be with 2nd string OL and receivers?

Hooker was missing and was wreck less and careless with the 1s

Put him in with the ones and see what happens. Don’t bury a guy because the project you brought in isn’t working
hooker is 1-0 as a started. heupel didnt bring in hooker, but he's def working

Put him in with the ones and see what happens. Don’t bury a guy because the project you brought in isn’t working

That has nothing to do with pocket awareness and overthrowing WR’s.

Those are simple mechanics that most QBs should have. Bailey has neither.

Hooker and Milton aren’t that great either but it’s pretty telling that Bailey is far behind them on what Heupel wants in his system.

Reactions: KptVFL and lexkyvol
You can guarantee that if Bailey transfers and lights it up there’d 100 threads blaming the coaches and everything they could think of
so what if he transfers and never sees the field? would you and others then stand up and admit you were horribly wrong and say the coaches were spot on?

Reactions: T2P_Priceless

Man I have been in and still continue to be in the Bailey camp because he will be a good QB one day. Right now is not that time. He needs to further develope his game. Im all in on whoever can get the job done but I don't wanna see a young promising guy get wrecked in the meat of an SEC schedule. Sure he can play, but for some reason he either is not confident about what hes doing or he is way overthinking. Both of these things are common with a young QB in a new system. He has plenty of time. If you throw him out there when he doesn't trust what is going on around him or himself you put him at risk. See JG.

Reactions: KptVFL
Have to question why some of our highest rated players are not even cracking the 2 deep. Its one thing for 4 and 5 star guys not to live up to their hype or make All-SEC. But as a 4-5 star blue chip recruit, if you can’t even just provide depth as a backup then something is seriously wrong. Culture wise.

We have multiple guys who were blue chip recruits who are hardly seeing the field at all, much less even listed on the depth chart a few of them.

Aubrey Solomon
Omari Thomas
Jackson Lampley
Len’neth Whitehead
Brandon Turnage
Ramel Keyton
Harrison Bailey
Dominic Bailey

What is the deal? You can’t tell me every single one of those guys are busts. I don’t believe it.

Not sure you can call all of theses guys ”busts.” Some in your list have played quite a bit in these first three games, and have played relatively well. Others, not so much. Why? We don’t really know because we aren’t on the practice field or in the training room with them. We have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt because they see everyone on a daily basis and know who’s getting it done better than others.

As for DB, here’s a kid who looks like a gifted physical specimen. In high school he was likely one of the largest and fastest players on the field. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know he’s one you hand the ball to and let him run around and through everyone else on the field. (I should know because I am one.) Unfortunately for him he’s now in D-1 Power-5 football where there a lot of gifted physical specimens around him, as well as a few not-so-gifted physical specimens who have worked their butts off to gain whatever advantage they can. If he wants to get more (any) playing time, it’s up to him to show the coaches he is worthy of being given that opportunity.

I’m not saying he’s not talented at all, but if 2 staffs aren’t high on you…
Im gonna say 1 staff thinks he isn't ready and pretend Pruitt and Co. Never existed. No QB was good under them. And not many other players either. Heupel likely knows Bailey got no development last year and thats why he doesnt want to play him and ruin him at this point. And that we should trust. By the end of the season it could happen that HB figures it out. But as of now it is not reality. To infer the staff isnt high on him in my mind means he isn't a good player. He just isn't ready to run THIS offense. I think they believe he can later down the road.

Or maybe they're in a slightly better position with just a tad more expertise than YOU to determine that? I would say that Heupel's history as an offensive coach speaks for itself.

I'm pretty sure you and a few others are trying to rationalize some premature judgments RE Heupel.

By all reports, Milton was hitting a lot of those deep throws in practice that he's missed in games. Hooker played a decent game. Bailey didn't throw deep well at all tonight and that may be why he wasn't #1 or #2..

What game were you watching? Bailey put one of two right on the money with the defender all over the WR!!! Bailey put it only where the WR could catch it with the WR well covered. I haven't see a pass like that all year long!!!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
What game were you watching? Bailey put one of two right on the money with the defender all over the WR!!! Bailey put it only where the WR could catch it with the WR well covered. I haven't see a pass like that all year long!!!
Meh Hooker threw a beautiful deep ball that Payton dropped early in the game.

Reactions: KptVFL and mpfvol
Lets look at the roster.

2017 class, these guys would all be eligible as covid seniors or rs juniors. Class ranking was 17th nationally, 7 of 27 remain with Theo Jackson being the only notable contributor.

2018 class 22 signees, 8 are gone, including 4 of the 8 highest rated recruits.

2019 class 22 signees, plus 4 transfers. 13 of the 22 signees are gone and 3 of the 4 transfers. 5 of the top 6 recruits based on hs ranking are gone.

2020 class 23 signees and 4 transfers. 3 of the 23 are gone and 2 of the 4 transfers.

2021 we had 17 signees and 10 transfers because of the massive losses from the roster. We already lost the most important player in the class due to idiocy in Salter.

So the "talent" here in large part isn't here. You remove the people from those classes that are gone and they tumble into the mid 40s to mid 50s or lower in the 17, 18, and 19 classes. The 2017 and 2019 class with it's losses probably goes into the 60s or 70s.
I get that because of the attrition but we've sucked basically every year for this decade except for what...2 years during Butch Jones' tenure

Not sure you can call all of theses guys ”busts.” Some in your list have played quite a bit in these first three games, and have played relatively well. Others, not so much. Why? We don’t really know because we aren’t on the practice field or in the training room with them. We have to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt because they see everyone on a daily basis and know who’s getting it done better than others.

As for DB, here’s a kid who looks like a gifted physical specimen. In high school he was likely one of the largest and fastest players on the field. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know he’s one you hand the ball to and let him run around and through everyone else on the field. (I should know because I am one.) Unfortunately for him he’s now in D-1 Power-5 football where there a lot of gifted physical specimens around him, as well as a few not-so-gifted physical specimens who have worked their butts off to gain whatever advantage they can. If he wants to get more (any) playing time, it’s up to him to show the coaches he is worthy of being given that opportunity.

I didn’t call any of these guys “busts.” Not sure where you are getting that from? Read a few more of my posts in this thread and see where I said specifically “I don’t consider a blue chip guy to be a bust….” Something along those lines. I think more than a couple of those guys are capable, but that it may be culture or attitude problems that are keeping them from playing. A lot of them played more last year than this year….and it’s disconcerting to me given there are eight of them at once who fit that bill.

Yes, some of the guys I listed have played some this year. But I would not say “quite a bit”…or even “relatively well” for that matter. Some of them also aren’t even listed on the depth chart, and have barely played. Point being, no one from my list has stood out to me ‘this year.’ In fact.

Last edited:
Lets look at the roster.

2017 class, these guys would all be eligible as covid seniors or rs juniors. Class ranking was 17th nationally, 7 of 27 remain with Theo Jackson being the only notable contributor.

2018 class 22 signees, 8 are gone, including 4 of the 8 highest rated recruits.

2019 class 22 signees, plus 4 transfers. 13 of the 22 signees are gone and 3 of the 4 transfers. 5 of the top 6 recruits based on hs ranking are gone.

2020 class 23 signees and 4 transfers. 3 of the 23 are gone and 2 of the 4 transfers.

2021 we had 17 signees and 10 transfers because of the massive losses from the roster. We already lost the most important player in the class due to idiocy in Salter.

So the "talent" here in large part isn't here. You remove the people from those classes that are gone and they tumble into the mid 40s to mid 50s or lower in the 17, 18, and 19 classes. The 2017 and 2019 class with it's losses probably goes into the 60s or 70s.

Yeah, no other team has attrition. Vol fans are TIRED OF EXCUSES!!! Yes, UT has only 71 players looking like 70 with Dee Beckwith transferring. UT doesn't have UA, UF, or UGA talent. But, let's don't act like UT doesn't have enough talent to compete with the rest of the SEC on the schedule!!! They do!!!!!

It wasn't my intention to throw HB under the bus, just the notion that having the backups in made all the difference in how he looked against Tech.
Possible that he was playing slow in his decisions due to unfamiliarity but he didn’t look ready.
I think he’s got a lot of potential but needs time to develop

Show me one series he has made progress. Whether it be running without hesitation or hitting passes consistently.

CJH doesent want to come off him because it would look bad if he’s wrong.
Ya, I’m sure Hypel would rather lose games than look wrong.

so what if he transfers and never sees the field? would you and others then stand up and admit you were horribly wrong and say the coaches were spot on?
I’m a Bailey guy, but not because I am certain that he is the answer. I’m a Bailey guy because I am certain that the other two aren’t.

Reactions: mccrackb
My reply was to a poster that said Bailey looked bad throwing the deep ball. It had nothing to do with Hooker. Learn to read before your comments!
Yeah you also said what game were you watching ? That Bailey threw the best ball you had seen this year

Hope he sticks around. I know it's a culture of expecting everything to happen immediately, but Beckwith has a lot in common with Darrell Taylor. Taylor was extremely raw when he got here and could play multiple positions. Took him 3 years to see the field, but he left after 5 years and became a 2nd round NFL draft pick.

I think Beckwith could have a similar journey. Though, I still question whether he should be shifted to WR or TE. Feels like a more natural fit than RB to me.

VN Store

Back