Dee Beckwith status?

Let’s see…..
we have 70ish athletes on scholarship
A good portion of those are transfers in
An ncaa investigation hanging over our heads
A new coaching staff
And a fan base that contains the biggest bunch of bitches I’ve ever seen and thinks we should be beating Bama this year.
And when we lose to Bama will be calling for us to hire ……pick your favorite name who would not take over this dumpster fire.
And honestly half the people who got what they wanted would now be calling for that guy to be fired.

It’s a family tradition
Key to any success at UT (current examples Barnes and Vitello). Set your plan and carry it out until it works whilst muting out the loud, unproductive background noise of the self-appointed program guardians. You know you’ve done your job well when they create rumors of another program stealing you and complain about your perceived loyalty. 😏

Even if he can’t pass protect right now, one would think you could find a place in a heavy package where QB is under center and it’s third and goal from the one yard line. Or we need one yard for a first down.
I forgot though, we don’t have that kind of package. We are in shotgun no matter what the situation is. Maybe there just hasn’t been enough practice time to fit that in so far.
but why does Heupel "need" to find something that fits him? why does the coach "need" to find or create something to fit the player?

at beckwith's size, rb is NOT his best and most productive future, but he and others probably think otherwise thus he getting plenty of pine time. didn't tee hodge enter the portal because he wasn't getting used as a rb? beckwith much bigger. big rb days are over, save derrick henry

So he’s accomplished almost as much as butch jones here?
Hes better than Butch. Butch had a loaded team that he couldn't win with. Your delusional if you give Kiffin that same talent level and he doesn't win the east. Dobbs, Kiffin, Hurd and Kamara, Jennings, Calloway etc. They would have put up stupid numbers. All that talent and the best Butch could do was 8-4. Lol. We had the talent to win the east in Back to Back years. Ole Miss will likely beat everyone outside of Bama and maybe A&M. I would think that if they play this Saturday OM is favored. Of course LSU will be up to play also in that rivalry.

Hate to break it to ya, but after what I saw last night, Kiffin and Ole Miss will murder us.

We may have to file charges after the game...
Benefit of living too long as a football fan is the truth shifts from the beginning of a season until the end. Witnessed many a “team of the century” not qualify for a New Year’s bowl. We get in a hurry. 😏

Benefit of living too long as a football fan is the truth shifts from the beginning of a season until the end. Witnessed many a “team of the century” not qualify for a New Year’s bowl. We get in a hurry. 😏
While this is true, OM as long as they have no major injuries looks solid. Corall goes down and it crumbles.

“Know what you deserve”? Sounds like one of them pre-Madonnas.

Seriously, I hope he finds a position and can get some playing time. But, Heupel does not seem to have much patience with malcontents. So, this does not bode well.
Good. Malcontents think they are better than they are, most of the time. An RB thinks because he can run he should play regardless if he has pass protection, ball security issues or doesn’t really have the offense down yet.
He hasn’t played most likely because there are 2-3 backs that do all or most of the above better now.

Reactions: igotworms
We were playing Tennessee Tech, for Pete's sake. If he's any good, he shouldn't need "the 1's" to show it against the Golden Eagles...
Bailey will likely transfer somewhere more suitable for him. Who knows where that will be. By the way he can still make his way to the next level. He has the talent game just isn't clicking for him right now. Eventually I would think the light will come on for him. He may be needed at some point this season, so hope for growth on things he needs to correct

Reactions: KptVFL and m1al
Bailey will likely transfer somewhere more suitable for him. Who knows where that will be. By the way he can still make his way to the next level. He has the talent game just isn't clicking for him right now. Eventually I would think the light will come on for him. He may be needed at some point this season, so hope for growth on things he needs to correct
It wasn't my intention to throw HB under the bus, just the notion that having the backups in made all the difference in how he looked against Tech.

You need to take off your "woke" colored glasses.
You won't find a less "woke" person here. In fact, "woke" seems mostly to be about people getting things because they or someone else "feels" they should... and NOT because they've earned it. He hasn't earned it. He went head to head with 3 other guys from January until now. He's never risen above #3. For my part, I would have much rather him be the equivalent of Lawrence like so many of you thought he was. He isn't.

he may not be any good at all, but he deserves a chance based on how well he played last year.
No. He doesn't. In context, "last year" isn't as impressive as you and others think it is. He played well vs Vandy but who didn't? He played well vs UF... Shrout played better. He had good "stats" vs Auburn hitting dump downs with them in soft coverage to run out the clock. He threw two picks vs Arkansas. Even last year the staff seemed to favor Shrout over Bailey. I don't know why. But they did.

Coach H better find him QB that can complete passes or he will not be here long.
Agreed. Hooker did a nice job of that. He only had a couple of truly bad passes that were on him. But he doesn't have the zip of Milton. I think they need more than any of them have shown so far. I think all of them are capable. All have issues.

All of our Qb's have issues they need to work on. Milton holds the ball too long, results in fumbles, takes sacks he shouldn't if he is truly mobile, and can't connect deep
Hooker, issues with staring down receivers, while scrambling doesn't have good ball security resulting in turnovers. I would say he needs to learn to get what he can and get down. I thought the lick he took on the scramble he was really hurt. Pretty nasty shot. I met his parents yesterday at the Vol Walk. Good genuine people and they even called him over to meet my daughter which was really cool. She had a lot of fun for her first game.

Bailey, he is a young guy that needs to learn the system and support his team. Control what he can control, holding the ball to long, getting the ball out on time to the spot he needs. Work on getting his velocity up, pocket awareness which comes from live reps and trusting his mechanics. He will never be a runner, but it was cool to hear on the radio he got a rushing td on rpo. His feet can be used at select times. Again awareness which they can work on.

Reactions: KptVFL and VolRage
I think we agree Bailey is not game ready, especially behind this OL. I had left before Bailey got to play yesterday as my 6 y/o gave her all and slept the whole way home. I was one of those that thought HB could get the job done. However he needs growth in a couple area's like getting the ball out quicker and not taking sacks. From all accounts he has tools but needs a faster clock. As far as his arm strength. I watched both him and Hooker warm up, they both throw with similar trajectories and both put air under the ball. They can both also throw it about 55 yards comfortably to a spot. His arm strength is fine, just needs development in getting his torso around for velocity and following through. Each QB has a few things to work on. If healthy I think Milto will start at Florida based on Heupel's comments after the game. To have a chance we have to play turnover free and get a takeaway or two. DL has made strides, not sure outside of Theo, the rest need work.
I think UT has 3 QB's with great talent and potential. You can only give one guy an opportunity at a time. The staff went with Milton first. That may or may not be over. Hooker appears to have earned the next shot.

I argue with Bailey's fan club... not against Bailey. I think he will be a very good QB when he gets that shot. He could end up being the best of the 3. My point is only that he has not EARNED the opportunity ahead of the other guys.

PS- I don't discount completely that his performance was held back by who he was playing with.... That wasn't all of it but could be some. I don't think he's a sub- 50% passer at all.

PSS- I was a bit surprised that he looked as nimble running the ball as he was.

Good. Malcontents think they are better than they are, most of the time. An RB thinks because he can run he should play regardless if he has pass protection, ball security issues or doesn’t really have the offense down yet.
He hasn’t played most likely because there are 2-3 backs that do all or most of the above better now.
Evidently there was 5 that did it better… Only on volnation do people condemn the head coach over a 5th string running back.

Reactions: KptVFL
but why does Heupel "need" to find something that fits him? why does the coach "need" to find or create something to fit the player?

at beckwith's size, rb is NOT his best and most productive future, but he and others probably think otherwise thus he getting plenty of pine time. didn't tee hodge enter the portal because he wasn't getting used as a rb? beckwith much bigger. big rb days are over, save derrick henry

Because usually at some point in every game, you need to be able to pick up that last yard. And you need someone who can pound it in, or even be a lead blocker. If he doesn’t want to switch position he could contribute in that way, and play special teams. It is always mentioned how great an athlete he is so I’m sure he could handle that.
I saw yesterday when Alabama was playing Florida, in those situations they wouldn’t stay in shotgun. They would both play from under center. You can’t out finesse everybody all the time.

Because usually at some point in every game, you need to be able to pick up that last yard. And you need someone who can pound it in, or even be a lead blocker. If he doesn’t want to switch position he could contribute in that way, and play special teams. It is always mentioned how great an athlete he is so I’m sure he could handle that.
I saw yesterday when Alabama was playing Florida, in those situations they wouldn’t stay in shotgun. They would both play from under center. You can’t out finesse everybody all the time.
i agree about the "always in shotgun" comment and i def thought it would've won us the game vs pitt or at least tied the game. but i dont think just because he is big that solves short yardage. and if he can't beat out wright, he doesn't need to play period!

Yes he was. He's been given a chance since Heupel arrived. You folks want to proclaim him the best based on last year's stats without regard to competition or context but then want to excuse relatively poor play last night because he didn't have all the starters. He had guys in the rotation playing with him. He had better players against a worn out TTU D.

Heupel says they have confidence in all three. Bailey showed that he can pick up some short yardage with his legs last night so that's maybe not as much of a factor as I thought. But he didn't look good throwing the ball and that wasn't because the guys around him weren't as good as the guys on the other side. His deep throws weren't good.

I would LOVE for him to be the answer... or Hooker... or Milton. Literally do not care which one. But you guys all in on Bailey need to take a step back and consider he may not be nearly the superman you think he is.
I’m tired of the balls being in the ground !!! I’m tired of the shity throws !!! I’m tired of the mistakes at the wrong time THE INT’s !!! Allllllllll of the turnovers have been made by the Qb’s !!! People need to stop talking this crap !!! Three games at home and pretty much Alllll of the stats belong to other Qb’s not named Bailey.! Allll this speculation why this and why that is garbage. 11 quarters at HOME vs. three teams with first string available players and those stats belong to # 1 - 2 QBs. CJH has chose his position in the way he’s going. I don’t personally think it’s Bailey as much as it’s the offensive line..! But that said....if we’re gonna get that look down field and can’t hit the long ball !?!?!? Then we’re screwed !

Agree. But you still have to go off practice until a guy proves he can't perform in games. Milton has flopped in two games. JG dozens. After his first 7 starts and definitely after his first 12 or so... any competent coach should have recognized he wasn't going to get past what held him back.

That said, considering Milton's full history, Heupel can't afford to give him much more rope.

he doesent need anymore rope. He’s shown that he can’t do what’s needed to find success.

Hooker shows flashes but is to careless

Bailey most likely won’t get a fair shot because the first two seem to be set in stone by CJH

he doesent need anymore rope. He’s shown that he can’t do what’s needed to find success.

Hooker shows flashes but is to careless

Bailey most likely won’t get a fair shot because the first two seem to be set in stone by CJH

Fair shot?

Bailey was overthrowing WR’s and showing no pocket awareness during mop up duty against Tennessee Tech.

He’s simply not that good regardless of his HS rating and many fans can’t accept that.

I can’t believe this has to be said but….practice is all you have to go on till you play a few games. If Milton is still sucking it up and still being pushed as the starter next year then you might have a point. Till then it’s just mindless bitching

Show me one series he has made progress. Whether it be running without hesitation or hitting passes consistently.

CJH doesent want to come off him because it would look bad if he’s wrong.

The real Q is. How does TN recruit top 15-20 annually yet never have any talent at all? Interesting how Arkansas and Ole Miss, who have not recruited to the same level as TN seem to be more talented. Interesting how that always happens with TN.
Coaching & Development.

Fair shot?

Bailey was overthrowing WR’s and showing no pocket awareness during mop up duty against Tennessee Tech.

He’s simply not that good regardless of his HS rating and many fans can’t accept that.

How good would Hooker be with 2nd string OL and receivers?

Hooker was missing and was wreck less and careless with the 1s

Put him in with the ones and see what happens. Don’t bury a guy because the project you brought in isn’t working

I think UT has 3 QB's with great talent and potential. You can only give one guy an opportunity at a time. The staff went with Milton first. That may or may not be over. Hooker appears to have earned the next shot.

I argue with Bailey's fan club... not against Bailey. I think he will be a very good QB when he gets that shot. He could end up being the best of the 3. My point is only that he has not EARNED the opportunity ahead of the other guys.

PS- I don't discount completely that his performance was held back by who he was playing with.... That wasn't all of it but could be some. I don't think he's a sub- 50% passer at all.

PSS- I was a bit surprised that he looked as nimble running the ball as he was.
I think part of the game just isn't natural to Bailey using his feet. I don't think he trusts it tbh. But it can and is a useful weapon. That said im not a fan of our qbs taking shots like Hooker took at all. I understand at this point we need a running QB to make up for lack of running game and keep defenses at home. That makes sense. But yeah Bailey can run around a bit, he needs to trust it and be decisive when doing so.

Reactions: KptVFL
I’m tired of the balls being in the ground !!! I’m tired of the shity throws !!! I’m tired of the mistakes at the wrong time THE INT’s !!! Allllllllll of the turnovers have been made by the Qb’s !!! People need to stop talking this crap !!! Three games at home and pretty much Alllll of the stats belong to other Qb’s not named Bailey.! Allll this speculation why this and why that is garbage. 11 quarters at HOME vs. three teams with first string available players and those stats belong to # 1 - 2 QBs. CJH has chose his position in the way he’s going. I don’t personally think it’s Bailey as much as it’s the offensive line..! But that said....if we’re gonna get that look down field and can’t hit the long ball !?!?!? Then we’re screwed !
and there's a reason why those stats belong to guys not named bailey......and why the touchdowns in prime time dont belong to him either. he showed yesterday. i think it's past time for the pro-bailey guys to sit back and root for the team and drop this topic because dude struggled against a team down 49-0 live on his home field. and yes, hooker can hit the long ball. on another topic, bailey cannot get away from the rush anywhere near the way both hooker and milton can and this oline is not that good. he needs to hit the weights and get ready for next yr or the year after because playing behind this oline will ruin his confidence.

VN Store

Back