Dee Beckwith status?

i agree about the "always in shotgun" comment and i def thought it would've won us the game vs pitt or at least tied the game. but i dont think just because he is big that solves short yardage. and if he can't beat out wright, he doesn't need to play period!
I’m just offering a solution that would get around the pass protect issues others have said is keeping him from playing. I think good teams can always play from under center if they need to. If Beckwith can’t do it that’s fine. I want players who give us the best chance to be successful.

Reactions: lexkyvol
That's a helluva point
Not necessarily. I’m betting Arkansas has less transfers per class then we have each class for the better part of 5 seasons. Look at any class from 2016-2019 and count the players who have began and ended their careers here? It’s about 7–10 per class who have left, we gotta start having multiple players for 3+ years then we can start talking. For whatever reason it at least seems we don’t have a senior lead team really since 2016 and a lot of those preseason players got hurt or transferred before seasons end.

Reactions: Easyriders
Milton oozes potential. Is Coral Coral because of Coral of because of Lebby/Kiffin?

Their backup, Dart, looked good during mop up time as well. I think they have a good system.

I think the feeling among Michigan fans is they weren't sad to see him leave.

Reactions: Truth is honor
Hes better than Butch. Butch had a loaded team that he couldn't win with. Your delusional if you give Kiffin that same talent level and he doesn't win the east. Dobbs, Kiffin, Hurd and Kamara, Jennings, Calloway etc. They would have put up stupid numbers. All that talent and the best Butch could do was 8-4. Lol. We had the talent to win the east in Back to Back years. Ole Miss will likely beat everyone outside of Bama and maybe A&M. I would think that if they play this Saturday OM is favored. Of course LSU will be up to play also in that rivalry.
My point was Kiffin wasn’t and isn’t some elite coach. And these dumb fanboys fall for his trolling every time. He’s never coming here. Ever. Not should we hire him. Ever

Heupel may have a way of dealing with head cases, that he's not sharing with anyone on this board. You will never know the real story. Maurer threw a fit and didn't show up for a few days. Is it a surprise he's gone? Yes, maybe we are losing some talent. But I think back to Butch Jones and the really bad locker room chemistry. It can destroy a team from within. I sense a feeling of entitlement with this young man that might not be earned.

There is still a chance that maybe better talent is on the bench with CJH. Not ruling that out either. Good lord - we've had a conga line of coaches that have done that. At this stage though, there isn't enough evidence that Heupel is making those mistakes.

My point was Kiffin wasn’t and isn’t some elite coach. And these dumb fanboys fall for his trolling every time. He’s never coming here. Ever. Not should we hire him. Ever

People have short memories. Kiffin struggled at USC. I do think he's a better coach today after being humbled in his career but the handing wringing is a waste of time.

We just need to show improvement and get good players in here. Right now this program has no momentum.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Or maybe they're in a slightly better position with just a tad more expertise than YOU to determine that? I would say that Heupel's history as an offensive coach speaks for itself.

I'm pretty sure you and a few others are trying to rationalize some premature judgments RE Heupel.

By all reports, Milton was hitting a lot of those deep throws in practice that he's missed in games. Hooker played a decent game. Bailey didn't throw deep well at all tonight and that may be why he wasn't #1 or #2..
I’m good with what hat you said til Bailey comments. Bailey came in to back up line, coach wanting to run, game mop up duty, threw one beauty pass that was dropped and one that was overthrown. Bailey led the team to scorea TD. Bailey is a sophomore, arrived Jan 2020 about a month before COVID, believing he would play pro style QB. He was highly recruited and could start at most SEC schools. Hooker is a redshirt Senior with turnover issues and one hit on a run of being done. Milton same but a Junior and he has not been impressive or consistent. I watched all three QBs and we will be lucky to win 6 games. Bailey is the best hope for the future given NCAA doesn’t stomp on us and CJH can greatly improve the supporting cast of players. Hooker is best we got at this point.

Reactions: Truth is honor
Yeah, no other team has attrition. Vol fans are TIRED OF EXCUSES!!! Yes, UT has only 71 players looking like 70 with Dee Beckwith transferring. UT doesn't have UA, UF, or UGA talent. But, let's don't act like UT doesn't have enough talent to compete with the rest of the SEC on the schedule!!! They do!!!!!

No team in the nation had as much attrition at we did, it's especially bad for us because it was all seniors and juniors leaving. Don't act like we have this big talent advantage over teams like Kentucky and Mississippi when we don't. Especially since they were coached by a buffoon the last three years.

Have to question why some of our highest rated players are not even cracking the 2 deep. Its one thing for 4 and 5 star guys not to live up to their hype or make All-SEC. But as a 4-5 star blue chip recruit, if you can’t even just provide depth as a backup then something is seriously wrong. Culture wise.

We have multiple guys who were blue chip recruits who are hardly seeing the field at all, much less even listed on the depth chart a few of them.

Aubrey Solomon
Omari Thomas
Jackson Lampley
Len’neth Whitehead
Brandon Turnage
Ramel Keyton
Harrison Bailey
Dominic Bailey

What is the deal? You can’t tell me every single one of those guys are busts. I don’t believe it.
No one said they were busts. There are guys that are better in front of them.

I remember all the BOOMS from VN when we Pruitt reeled in Dee Beckwith & Malachi Weideman. VN was more concerned about if we don't make a big Bowl will they join the Basketball Vols. They were both 4 Stars in both sports. It just seemed like these tall multi-talented athletes were going to be not good but great contributors. It's either the Blue bloods vett these athletes and don't want or Pruitt paid them and they just didn't practice hard and when the money & Pruitt were gone reasons to stay also left.
The player has to want to learn the position. Wasn’t he a wildcat QB in HS? He doesn’t fit this offense at RB. I’d say Warren and Fant are doing well at TE. And if he doesn’t want to learn defense, where else does he play?

I wish the staff would let these high-upside guys shine. We don’t have many on the roster.

The only thing I can think of is a potential attitude issie with not buying into the system but we haven't heard that. I agree with a reported 71 scholarship players you'd think you'd find somewhere guys can play.
What if the guy won’t switch positions to play where he’s needed and isn’t climbing the depth chart in his current position?
What does a coach do then?

The real Q is. How does TN recruit top 15-20 annually yet never have any talent at all? Interesting how Arkansas and Ole Miss, who have not recruited to the same level as TN seem to be more talented. Interesting how that always happens with TN.
It’s crazy how Ole Miss always has NFL caliber receivers every year

VN Store

Back