Deandre Johnson committed!

Florida recruits 4 and 5 stars. Bama recruits 4 and 5 stars. We get mostly 3star and some 4 star recruits. 1-11 against Florida, 0-10 against Bama. Just a coincidence because stars don't matter. Coach'em up.

I honestly believe it's more than stars, but you make one hell of a point. I hate when facts get in the way of a good discussion.:bad::p
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Can't bake a cake without the right ingredients. Some people can't bake no matter what ingredients they have.:dunno:

Reactions: 3 people
Florida recruits 4 and 5 stars. Bama recruits 4 and 5 stars. We get mostly 3star and some 4 star recruits. 1-11 against Florida, 0-10 against Bama. Just a coincidence because stars don't matter. Coach'em up.

This staff has recruited well since they got here. This class is a bit disappointing, I understand that, but you really need to chill with the armchair recruiting and let them do their job. There are still a couple of months til NSD and we've closed well every year.

If you think they aren't going for the top prospects in the country, I have no idea what's going on in your head. Let's take a look at the numbers, because your statement has no foundation in reality (using 247 composite):

Starting with the first full recruiting cycle this staff had -

2014: (Ranked 7th)
5* - 0
4* - 16
3* - 16

2015: (Ranked 4th)
5* - 1
4* - 15
3* - 12
2* - 2

2016: (ranked 14th)
5* - 0
4* - 10
3* - 13

2017: (currently ranked 11th)
5* - 1
4* - 4
3* - 20

2018: (currently ranked 15th)
5* - 1
4* - 1
3* - 1

Totals:
5* - 3
4* - 45
3* - 61
2* - 2

That is not "some" 4 stars. We're averaging roughly 10th in the nation in recruiting under this staff, according to 247.

This is without even getting into the validity of star rankings as a measurement, and quite frankly it's laughable at best to consider them the most reliable metric available to us. I hate to break it to you, but we aren't Alabama. No one can recruit at their level consistently except Ohio State, and it'll stay that way as long as Saban is there. But recruiting is absolutely not this staff's problem.

Reactions: 5 people
This staff has recruited well since they got here. This class is a bit disappointing, I understand that, but you really need to chill with the armchair recruiting and let them do their job. There are still a couple of months til NSD and we've closed well every year.

If you think they aren't going for the top prospects in the country, I have no idea what's going on in your head. Let's take a look at the numbers, because your statement has no foundation in reality (using 247 composite):

5* - 0
4* - 16
3* - 16

5* - 1
4* - 15
3* - 12
2* - 2

5* - 0
4* - 10
3* - 13

5* - 1
4* - 4
3* - 20

5* - 1
4* - 1
3* - 1

Totals:
5* - 3
4* - 45
3* - 61
2* - 2

That is not "some" 4 stars. We're averaging roughly 10th in the nation in recruiting under this staff, according to 247.

This is without even getting into the validity of star rankings as a measurement, and quite frankly it's laughable at best to consider them the most reliable metric available to us. I hate to break it to you, but we aren't Alabama. No one can recruit at their level consistently except Ohio State, and it'll stay that way as long as Saban is there. But recruiting is absolutely not this staff's problem.
Maybe cruit like UGA, Clemson, Auburn

A lof of people do not understand certain things (math, demographics, context)... The poster above you made a good point to illustrate this.

He is low ranked because he is from Florida. This kid would be a top 20 (actually probably top 10) recruit in the state of TN. I do not think people seem to comprehend the sheer difference in the talent pool of places like Florida, Texas, California and Georgia compared to TN and mos of the rest of the country.

This is one reason every few years some college you never heard of from Florida or Texas pops up on the map and makes top25 type noise. The high risk/reward guys that had grade issues and off field problems that hurt them in those states end up as walk-ons.

Scouts have a much harder time in places like Florida vs. TN once u get past those top guys that stand out. Because the pool is so low. But on the same token they have it easier evaluating the top because of competition level. The opposite is true in a place like TN. The top guys are harder to really evaluate because of lack of competition. To a certain extent it kind of evens out because they put more people covering places like Florida and less here.

At the end of the day the scouting services provide a template but it comes down to individual coaching staffs to balance their "ratings" against scheme fit and personal experience dealing with the recruits. Hurd is a perfect example of this. Put him in pretty much any offense in the SEC west and he is all world. Here at UT he was great but the scheme did not fit him and he did not seem to want to fit the scheme. Trust me he would do fine in any offense that put the ball in his hands proven by his output last year. but the kid has to want to play.

At the point he was recruited they were in rebuild mode and had limited time to really get to know the kid. I would predict that going forward we have less of that type of thing happening. As the coaching staff gels and gets more stable they have their product and can recruit for their system instead of what they can get. We are at that point right now. So no I don't have an issue with the star ratings of recruits when I look at their tape and it fits how our team plays.

It always mystified me how "Rivals", Scout, 247 etc. with the equivalent of a staff of interns - get to be the expert raters of high school athletes rather than professional coaching staffs. I know it is part of the game but - seriously????

5* - 0
4* - 16
3* - 16

5* - 1
4* - 15
3* - 12
2* - 2

5* - 0
4* - 10
3* - 13

5* - 1
4* - 4
3* - 20

5* - 1
4* - 1
3* - 1

Totals:
5* - 3
4* - 45
3* - 61
2* - 2

While stars don't always matter, there is definitely a correlation between wins/championships and stars (ie, talent). Its speculation, but I would bet almost every championship team in the last 10 years (the star rating era) has had recruiting classes consistently near the top 5.

And, of course you have to also develop and progress that talent to make it work at the end of the day.

This staff has many problems... developing talent.. recruiting talent also. Butch's first 2 classes were inflated in rankings due to sheer numbers (and yes, I know services only count top X players, but statistically you will have more higher ranked players when you have more overall players in the class).

Look at the offer lists for most of the kids in this class... we are competing with mid-majors for many recruits, and thats a bad sign. You can't have a successful program trying to find a Cam Sutton in every 3* player.

Reactions: 2 people
He's ranked 103rd in the state of Florida?! With an offer list from several D-1 schools? Dayaum.

Floriduh is quite the "football-hothouse" (as it has been for years). Wonder what he'd be ranked in Tennessee - probably top 25?

More like the top 10.

Boom? As the original poster has said?

Hardly. This guy is barely a 3 star prospect on Rivals. While I'm always happy to see a kid from Florida want to come to Tennessee, this is not the level of recruit we need to be getting to compete with and beat the top half of the SEC.

Our recruiting this year, while not terrible, is not up to snuff if we are hoping to compete for SEC and National Championships.

The only redeeming quality Butch has had for us thus far in his tenure has been that he is a decent recruiter. However, last year and this year, we are just a notch or two below where we ought to be if we are ever going to be more than an 8-4 mediocre to crappy bowl team, which is what we are under Butch.
Butch has an eye for talent. He signed a 2* offensive lineman @ Western Michigan who made all American & was a first rounder in the NFL.

I do agree that Butch has an eye for talent, I just hope he surrounds himself with more effective assistants and we can see some more development from players.

Also, while recruiting is going well, it is insane to know we are still 6th in the SEC. I hope we can make a late push and get closer to the top. I think we will.

Reactions: 1 person
like his attitude...

Thats the one big thing that sticks out to me too. I really like it when a kid says hes going to work his butt off and go a 110%! These days you dont hear that to much in recruits or players a matter a fact. His attitude and desire makes him a lot higher than his star rating in my book!

It always mystified me how "Rivals", Scout, 247 etc. with the equivalent of a staff of interns - get to be the expert raters of high school athletes rather than professional coaching staffs. I know it is part of the game but - seriously????

I think ur underestimating how much goes into recruiting. Camps, exhaustive film study, etc.

Offers from:

Mississippi State
Auburn
Cal
Georgia Tech
Indiana
South Carolina
Tennessee
West Virginia

All true elite college powerhouses. I would have been impressed if the list included Bama, Ohio state ..or even his home state of Florida. Plus we know that CBJ is great at coaching kids up.

Butch has an eye for talent. He signed a 2* offensive lineman @ Western Michigan who made all American & was a first rounder in the NFL.

We're not talking about finding a diamond in the rough here and there. We're talking about recruiting consistently on par with the top teams in the SEC. That's what it will take to win a championship again. On average that means consistently getting Top 10 or better classes that have average star ratings of 3.6 or better. With this staff's coaching ability, we need to be getting more 4-stars than 3-stars. Not the other way around like it is now. If we are going to recruit at our current level, then we need different coaches who can do more with less and consistently get players to overachieve. That is if we truly want to compete for and occasionally win championships, instead of settling for mediocre 8-4 or 9-3 type records.

We're not talking about finding a diamond in the rough here and there. We're talking about recruiting consistently on par with the top teams in the SEC. That's what it will take to win a championship again. On average that means consistently getting Top 10 or better classes that have average star ratings of 3.6 or better. With this staff's coaching ability, we need to be getting more 4-stars than 3-stars. Not the other way around like it is now. If we are going to recruit at our current level, then we need different coaches who can do more with less and consistently get players to overachieve. That is if we truly want to compete for and occasionally win championships, instead of settling for mediocre 8-4 or 9-3 type records.

You must have never had stat in college. Mediocre is .500. The records you quoted would be called above average.

5* - 0
4* - 16
3* - 16

5* - 1
4* - 15
3* - 12
2* - 2

5* - 0
4* - 10
3* - 13

5* - 1
4* - 4
3* - 20

5* - 1
4* - 1
3* - 1

Totals:
5* - 3
4* - 45
3* - 61
2* - 2

I think coaching, not star ratings is what determines how good a team will be. What were the star ratings for Washington, Colorado, VA Tech, Houston, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Boise St., Utah, San Diego St., Oklahoma St., teams that were ranked.

For example, Preston Williams was a 5* WR in Georgia...in Florida or Cal he may have been only a 3*. Same with Hurd...

This is a quality kid right here, stars aside:

“It was something about the school. Something about them. It fascinated me,”

“When I went up there on my official, I just felt it in the air. I just felt it in my heart. It was the place for me to be. It just felt right.”

“I’m a state champ and a Vol,” he said. “It doesn’t get better than that.”

“They highlight academics. This game is not forever. I have to have something to lean on. It was very important. That was more important than the football part, really.”

- Deandre Johnson

Full article
https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...ision-flip-mississippi-state-commit-tennessee

You must have never had stat in college. Mediocre is .500. The records you quoted would be called above average.

No mediocre at Tennessee is 8-4. We shouldnt be all excited at 8-4. You think Bama, Michigan, OSU, FSU, Clemson, LSU and other powerhouse schools are excited about 8-4?

I want Tennessee competing for championships. Not just 8-4 or 9-3.

Reactions: 2 people
He tweeted this on his Twitter. This kid is going to play like each play could be his last.Maybe this had something to do with his rating or offers.I will be pulling for this future VFL

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 6.23.28 AM.png

Last edited:

VN Store

Back