Deandre Johnson committed!

Do we as fans read too much into star ratings? Obviously, talent wins championships. Just look at Bama. They're 3 deep with 5 stars and they just keep reloading. This kid is 3 star but has an impressive offer list. We have a lot of 3 stars on our commitment list. I know we've had our issues with 5 stars like Hurd and Williams, but I'm concerned about the lack of "star" talent in this class looking to the future.

Reactions: 2 people
He's ranked 103rd in the state of Florida?! With an offer list from several D-1 schools? Dayaum.

Floriduh is quite the "football-hothouse" (as it has been for years). Wonder what he'd be ranked in Tennessee - probably top 25?

Reactions: 1 person
Boom? As the original poster has said?

Hardly. This guy is barely a 3 star prospect on Rivals. While I'm always happy to see a kid from Florida want to come to Tennessee, this is not the level of recruit we need to be getting to compete with and beat the top half of the SEC.

Our recruiting this year, while not terrible, is not up to snuff if we are hoping to compete for SEC and National Championships.

The only redeeming quality Butch has had for us thus far in his tenure has been that he is a decent recruiter. However, last year and this year, we are just a notch or two below where we ought to be if we are ever going to be more than an 8-4 mediocre to crappy bowl team, which is what we are under Butch.

Reactions: 6 people
Chance Hall was a 3-Star with a similar offer list but at the time a friend of mine from the Roanoke area said the kid would play very early wherever he went. Obviously Hall was underrated and better than Drew Richmond rated as a 5-Star. The star assigners and rating services simply cannot with any real reliability rate the number of high school football players vying for D-1 scholarships. I would not rate it a complete joke but it is fairly close. The coaches have seen the kids in camp and know what they are looking for and looking at. Linemen in particular need a huge desire to compete and work ethic. Tennessee needs to load up on defensive linemen and Johnson is certainly needed as an early entry.

Reactions: 5 people
he's ranked 103rd in the state of florida?! With an offer list from several d-1 schools? Dayaum.

Floriduh is quite the "football-hothouse" (as it has been for years). Wonder what he'd be ranked in tennessee - probably top 25?

10-15

Chance Hall was a 3-Star with a similar offer list but at the time a friend of mine from the Roanoke area said the kid would play very early wherever he went. Obviously Hall was underrated and better than Drew Richmond rated as a 5-Star. The star assigners and rating services simply cannot with any real reliability rate the number of high school football players vying for D-1 scholarships. I would not rate it a complete joke but it is fairly close. The coaches have seen the kids in camp and know what they are looking for and looking at. Linemen in particular need a huge desire to compete and work ethic. Tennessee needs to load up on defensive linemen and Johnson is certainly needed as an early entry.

Hall had a torn achilles and missed most if not all of senior year, which likely hurt his rating. O-line is a position where stars don't matter as much.

You can see from Johnson's film that he has a good frame and is already filled out well. Not gangly like Taylor was coming out of HS. Probably would have been rated higher if his team lined him up at end every play. As it was he lines up at DE, inside and even MLB. It won't be a struggle to get to 250.

FSU Miami and FL didn't offer in state 3 star Corey Vereen. He was a big part of Barnett's success.

It's all about how they get coached up once on campus. There's exceptions to every rule. I'm not a UT fan but I think he's a solid pickup for the vols.

Reactions: 2 people

"Yeah those 4 & 5 stars just are not working out"...Nick Saban :eek:lol:

Reactions: 3 people
The bottom line on this issue is that we need to be recruiting and getting the same caliber of players that the top SEC teams are getting in order to compete with and beat them. At the very least we need to be on par or better than Georgia and Florida. Right now, from a quality standpoint, our players (generally speaking) are just a little bit below our competition on average. We don't need to be getting players offered by lower level SEC programs such as Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Kentucky. We need be consistently getting players offered by Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU. If we are going to compete for championships, and not be just a mediocre/crappy bowl team, then we need to be getting quality that averages out around 3.6 stars or better in most years.

Butch and his so called "best staff in America" just aren't nearly good enough as coaches to consistently beat teams with better raw talent, and that's the bottom line.

Reactions: 3 people
The bottom line on this issue is that we need to be recruiting and getting the same caliber of players that the top SEC teams are getting in order to compete with and beat them. At the very least we need to be on par or better than Georgia and Florida. Right now, from a quality standpoint, our players (generally speaking) are just a little bit below our competition on average. We don't need to be getting players offered by lower level SEC programs such as Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Kentucky. We need be consistently getting players offered by Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU. If we are going to compete for championships, and not be just a mediocre/crappy bowl team, then we need to be getting quality that averages out around 3.6 stars or better in most years.

Butch and his so called "best staff in America" just aren't nearly good enough as coaches to consistently beat teams with better raw talent, and that's the bottom line.

Absolutely. If Butch doesn't recruit Top 5 he has no chance.

Reactions: 4 people
Boom? As the original poster has said?

Hardly. This guy is barely a 3 star prospect on Rivals. While I'm always happy to see a kid from Florida want to come to Tennessee, this is not the level of recruit we need to be getting to compete with and beat the top half of the SEC.

Our recruiting this year, while not terrible, is not up to snuff if we are hoping to compete for SEC and National Championships.

The only redeeming quality Butch has had for us thus far in his tenure has been that he is a decent recruiter. However, last year and this year, we are just a notch or two below where we ought to be if we are ever going to be more than an 8-4 mediocre to crappy bowl team, which is what we are under Butch.
A lof of people do not understand certain things (math, demographics, context)... The poster above you made a good point to illustrate this.

He is low ranked because he is from Florida. This kid would be a top 20 (actually probably top 10) recruit in the state of TN. I do not think people seem to comprehend the sheer difference in the talent pool of places like Florida, Texas, California and Georgia compared to TN and mos of the rest of the country.

This is one reason every few years some college you never heard of from Florida or Texas pops up on the map and makes top25 type noise. The high risk/reward guys that had grade issues and off field problems that hurt them in those states end up as walk-ons.

Scouts have a much harder time in places like Florida vs. TN once u get past those top guys that stand out. Because the pool is so low. But on the same token they have it easier evaluating the top because of competition level. The opposite is true in a place like TN. The top guys are harder to really evaluate because of lack of competition. To a certain extent it kind of evens out because they put more people covering places like Florida and less here.

At the end of the day the scouting services provide a template but it comes down to individual coaching staffs to balance their "ratings" against scheme fit and personal experience dealing with the recruits. Hurd is a perfect example of this. Put him in pretty much any offense in the SEC west and he is all world. Here at UT he was great but the scheme did not fit him and he did not seem to want to fit the scheme. Trust me he would do fine in any offense that put the ball in his hands proven by his output last year. but the kid has to want to play.

At the point he was recruited they were in rebuild mode and had limited time to really get to know the kid. I would predict that going forward we have less of that type of thing happening. As the coaching staff gels and gets more stable they have their product and can recruit for their system instead of what they can get. We are at that point right now. So no I don't have an issue with the star ratings of recruits when I look at their tape and it fits how our team plays.

Reactions: 5 people
Florida recruits 4 and 5 stars. Bama recruits 4 and 5 stars. We get mostly 3star and some 4 star recruits. 1-11 against Florida, 0-10 against Bama. Just a coincidence because stars don't matter. Coach'em up.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back