Crowd/Environment

From watching on TV the broadcasters complimented the environment and so did Chris Beard in his post game conference.
Former Vol Dane Bradshaw remarked about the difference now & his early years at Tennessee when black curtains covered no-shows at TBA. Lack of students made for a drop in crowd intensity, but it WAS plenty loud.

Looked like substantial pockets of empties scattered throughout the upper deck around the ends and in areas of the lower bowl which the students usually fill during the school year, two seats beside and four seats behind us were empty, not sure where the "sell out" classification came from,

White Danny rejiggled the donation requirements for UT athletic events primarily to purge the non attending prime seat arena donors and the invisible long distance season ticket holders that purchased basketball seats because they could with their significant football donation, put the students on either end of the arena behind the basket to create a home crowd environment where the better seats were actually filled with interested people, it works most of the time, I thought the crowd, on a scale of 1 to 10 was about an 8 last night, Tennessee never trailed, had a 12 point lead early in the first half, did a good job mixing up the offense after the first half scoring drought, played fairly up tempo most of the game (i.e. nobody walks the ball up the court), crashed the board all night long, didn't futz around with the clock with a 25 point lead and 8 minutes to play, Barnes even called a time out late, once the momentum and offensive movement sort of bogged down with a double digit lead, thought the crowd was up to their calling Saturday night, most people don't scream, cheer and shout at the grocery store these days anyway,

It’s not finding fault in something. It’s stating that a sold out crowd with 21,000 people should be louder than it was. My 9 year old son even said “this is like UK football, lots of people but quiet (Grandparents are UK fans)”.
TBA has been like this since I can remember. Instead of packing loud students in, we hide the student section behind the basket and sell tickets to blue hairs that don't make a peep. I do wish we had a huge student section like the blue bloods.

This is going to be an unpopular post. I’ve always been a pretty positive poster, but man, tonight’s crowd was non existent for a sell-out. It was almost bizarre how quiet it was at times with how many people that were there. TBA 10 years ago with a top 5 team playing another top 25 team would have been deafening. What gives?
Yes, but wasn't A post. Was 7 by you. You kept shouting at posters who disagreed. I agree with one of them,pretty bad when you have to attack the crowd. Seemed pretty loud besides Mashack 3ptr. Aidoo dunks and Zeigler 3's generated decibels. Remember some may try to look for negatives in the silver lining. Said"some may."

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
Yes, but wasn't A post. Was 7 by you. You kept shouting at posters who disagreed. I agree with one of them,pretty bad when you have to attack the crowd. Seemed pretty loud besides Mashack 3ptr. Aidoo dunks and Zeigler 3's generated decibels. Remember some may try to look for negatives in the silver lining. Said"some may."
I kept shouting at posters? Attack the crowd? Listen to that Florida crowd yesterday with 10K less people. Heck, I respect the students that showed up. I’m not kidding when I say I saw 2 people asleep in the lower level yesterday. But, they’re the ones that pay and keep the program afloat, so I guess they’ve earned that right.

I kept shouting at posters? Attack the crowd? Listen to that Florida crowd yesterday with 10K less people. Heck, I respect the students that showed up. I’m not kidding when I say I saw 2 people asleep in the lower level yesterday. But, they’re the ones that pay and keep the program afloat, so I guess they’ve earned that right.
Interesting comment. Apparently you aren’t aware that 10,000 people in a venue less than half the size of TBA creates a situation that amplifies volume and intensity. Florida, Ole Miss, and Auburn are amongst that group. Yes, there is a lot of noise there when they are full, but physical factors contain and amplify that noise, too.

Give me a fanbase that shows up nearly 22,000 strong on a Tennessee Saturday Night over a fanbase that plays in front of 9-10,000 fans any day of the week.

Sometimes we’re unable to see the value of our blessings even though they’re right in front of us.

Vols put Ole Miss away early in the second half.

Most crowds have trouble staying engaged during a blowout.

Will agree that TBA doesn't usually match the intensity you'll see at a Cameron or Rupp. Of course TBA is about 3 times as big as Cameron and what else does a KY fan really have to cheer for?

I’d use any excuse I could too if my team got man handled like they did.
Did you read Beard's comments? He made no excuses--said they got their butts handed to them by a potential final four team. But he also said the FCC crowd was super impressive in number and volume.

IMO it’s more effective when the crowd noise varies. If it was loud 100% of the time then the opponent gets used to it. But when it’s kind of quiet and then explodes after a dunk ot a Tennessee Three the opponent notices the hostility.

If the “blue hairs” were a problem, then the volume would NEVER get to the intense levels.

Did you read Beard's comments? He made no excuses--said they got their butts handed to them by a potential final four team. But he also said the FCC crowd was super impressive in number and volume.
Reported for referring to our fans as “FCC crowd” - it’s TBA to our fans and always will be!

Reported for referring to our fans as “FCC crowd” - it’s TBA to our fans and always will be!
Food City paid good money for the name, just like B. Ray Thompson did to get his name on it. All things must pass--get ready for Clayton Field at Haslam Stadium..lol.

Food City paid good money for the name, just like B. Ray Thompson did to get his name on it. All things must pass--get ready for Clayton Field at Haslam Stadium..lol.

B Ray didn’t care if his name was on the TBA. He agreed to it only if they included Ed Boling’s name as well.

Reactions: Golf freak
Our arena seats 22,000 people and is built for comfort, not noise. Not the fans fault.

In big games in big moments it gets rocking but it has a really low floor as far as the constant static noise in those middle and low tier games because its so big and the crowd and students are far from the floor.

I actually think sometimes that makes it a harder place to play because of the contrast. It can be quiet as a sunday service one minute and almost lull you to sleep and the next minute be really really loud if we start making some plays.

Reactions: sami
Even on tv, I heard the crowd get loud a few times, including twice in the 2nd half when Ole Miss tried to make a run and our fans were trying to amp up our guys. I wouldn't know it was an "issue" if not for the complaints here.

I don't have blue hair yet, but I'll admit it is super hard to be constantly loud when your team hands out a drubbing like that.

It was loud when things were close and we made some big plays, like Mashack's back to back 3's. We punched them out early in the second and people watched and enjoyed.

The "lets kick out the people who pay for everything" crowd need to pony up if they want that to happen. Especially the ones who criticize from home.

Instead they want others to pay for everything but stay away on game day.

Ten years ago Cuonzo Martin was the head coach, so I'm not so sure I agree that Thompson/Boling would have been "deafening" in comparison with now.

Last edited:
Actually, if you shop at Food City, you are paying for the name as well...

The venue is JINXED now I tell you, ever since it’s recent corporate branding. Bring back plain old Thompson Boling Arena:

Reactions: The Dog
Let's go back to Stokely..... no wait, Alumni Hall?!?! We beat the crap out of old m. I'm not a huge (ugly) Thompson/Bowling fan (I don't like Food City either, but I like the $$), but it allows a lot to see the games. I was about as nervous (relaxed) as I was watching the Citrus Bowl Replay.

The crowd was finally relaxed after we got over the 1 in 12, 3 pointer start. After that...........all was good. We came back out in the 2nd half, and it was easy.

The crowd responds when needed, just like Neyland............ p.s. I wasn't there.

VN Store

Back