Crow

First off we have accomplished that much yet. We beat a really bad Missouri team and a bad sc(e) team. We could’ve easily won Pitt and ole miss. I don’t think heupel was great in either game. And I don’t think he was great last night. Namely you can’t punt the ball on 4th and 1 from mid field while losing g on the road. You can’t do that. And against Pitt…we started a guy that was obviously a terrible qb without ever giving anyone else a legitimate opportunity at playing. There was for all purposes no competition for the job. Multiple qbs should’ve gotten to play in the first couple of games. That’s the way it Alvis goes with a new coach and no returning qbs that have played a lot. Heupel choose Milton because he recruited him. It was a massive mistake. Part of the reason we’re excited we’re super impressed is because the bar was set so low with the Pruitt hire. He was the most incompetent coach I can ever remember. Worse than Dooley imo.
That being said I really liked the heupel hire when it was made. I’m not sure why a lot of our fans didn’t. He’s always had amazing offenses and that’s exactly what we needed ti be able to compete in todays game. My biggest concern for heupel has been his ability to recruit. He just has such little charism when he’s in front of a camera. I don’t think he uses social media either. Those types of things matter in this age and time. But we’ll see what happens. He does have to take more chances if we’re going ti beat good teams. Ole miss was way more aggressive than us when we played them and they win partially due to that. The biggest issue imo is stubbornly sticking with the between the tackles run gun the last 2 games when it’s obviously not been there for us.

We still lost by 28 and lost by 24 to a bad Florida team

True and that sucks because it looks bad, but we carry about 15 or so fewer scholarship players. Our lack of depth is just killing us late in the second half against better teams. We’re one deep where Bama is easily three deep at every position. There’s just no way around it when they have fresh legs and we don’t. I’m probably one of the most impatient people wrt to new coaches, but overall I’m impressed with what this man has done with only 70 scholarship players minus more that have been injured. Can’t wait till we have two more recruiting classes and hopefully nab a several good ones out of the portal. I still say this man deserves at least 4-5 years.

Coach Heupel is hopefully here for decades,if he wants to.The players.play for him and his coaches.They never quit.The same lay down talent that was here last.year is here now.No lay down,no quit,putting on more steam team.That comes from players wanting to do well for themselves.and their coaches.Also something rare for the last.several years--in game adjustments.He still my.heart and go Vols!s

71 scholarship players. It ain’t like we are fully stocked.
Blows my mind how big of a discrepancy in manpower this really is when talking about competing for four quarters of football thru an entire season tackling semi trucks like what bama continuously puts out. And don’t even get me started on what it means to the O line to be that undermanned..it’s almost criminal

Worse than the team that went 7-6???????
can you even remember the last time the starting RB for them was that slow? An actual 4th year senior that has sat the bench. They are good but talent wise maybe not up to their standards. QB makes the difference.

I didn't know much about him, but my buddy who is an OU fan was telling me we would be happy. He wished Heupel was still there.

Coach H is an improvement over the last three hires but I had my doubts about his success at UT, however the offense is putting up some good plays, time will tell - after all
this is his first year - and not time to wring the hands

Yeah, its way too early in the process to judge Heupel one way or the other. Some of you guys are way too quick to fall in love. Its kinda weird.

My problem with Heupel is that he has never built a program and he is trying his first build in the toughest conference in college football.

So who should we have hired?

He is certainly off to a good start, but the standard remains the same - winning the East and competing against the big boys despite the refs. There is much to still be determined regarding Heupel. Will he learn and adapt from his mistakes? Will his in game decisions improve? I kind of feel like it's more about "running his system" sometimes even if things don't work, rather than adapting to your opponent and exploiting their weaknesses. It's not always productive to go fast. The biggest question is what caliber of players can he recruit to Knoxville? I am fine with 3 stars that can develop, but he needs to pull in some 4 and 5 star players at some key positions like DE, DT, OL, and QB pretty consistently in this league to be competitive.

I do think that he can be successful at UT.

I swear some of you just can't help but to buy in for absolutely nothing. Fifty-two points, that's what we've lost by to great teams. Lost our two vs mediocre opponents. All we have done is beat four terrible teams.
Did you expect 12-0 in year one? You can't deny the improvement in the product on the field from last year to this year.

Last edited:
Coach Heupel is hopefully here for decades,if he wants to.The players.play for him and his coaches.They never quit.The same lay down talent that was here last.year is here now.No lay down,no quit,putting on more steam team.That comes from players wanting to do well for themselves.and their coaches.Also something rare for the last.several years--in game adjustments.He still my.heart and go Vols!s
Halftime adjustments have certainly improved, especially on defense, but I don't know about in game adjustments. Continuously running the ball into the guards back from the shotgun on 3rd or 4th and 2 isn't working, yet he still calls it. Also, he runs a lot on 3rd and medium. That's a tough ask of these linemen and backs.

Play like Tarzan for three quarters then the last quarter rolled around played like ________, you know who. I gotta stay politically correct here.

I like mine with BBQ sauce.

I will say I wasn't a fan of this hire and I didn't see it working out but the more I watch the kids play and the coaches coaching these kids up I WAS WRONG. I love where this staff is headed and I think the best is yet to come. One quarter away from taking bama to the wire and don't think anyone saw that but these kids play hard for this staff. The future is so bright we have to wear shades, to coin a phrase.

Oh, I’ve eat a passle of it here. More to come, I’m sure. It just means you care.

Welcome back, and Go Vols!

Reactions: VolunteerNut
It’s truly absurd, IMHO, that CJH is doing what he is given how thin this roster is. Absurd.

VN Store

Back