Craziest place you’ve heard a “Go Vols”?

Kuranda Village, Cairns, Australia. Family was on vacation and went to a quaint shopping area. My son was wearing a UT shirt and we heard a Go Vols that we returned. Found out it was a young man from Knoxville who was playing country music.

Ponta Grossa, Brazil; from a Russian contractor working at the same factory I was working in.
Literally blew my mind.

Reactions: UTProf
Forgot about one. I’ve told this story before, but I met a dude on a FOB in the middle of Africa who was in BUD/S with Daniel Lincoln. Had some cool stories. Gave me a reluctant “Go Vols”, seems like he was an FSU fan iirc.

But wow, we really are everywhere. Awesome stories! Glad to see Roane County/Kingston mentioned as well. I’ve heard a few “Go Vols” down at the Handee Burger.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
I was in Central Park in NYC, when nature called. Upon entering a two staller, I was barely sitting down when I heard a voice from the other stall saying: "Hi, how are you?"

I'm not the type to start a conversation but I answered, somewhat embarrassed,
"Do in' just fine!"

And the other person says:
"So what are you up to?"

I'm thinking this is a NYC thing so I say:
"Uhhh, just traveling!"

At this point I am just trying to get out as fast as I can when I hear.
"Go Vols"

So, I say: "Go Vols"

Then I hear the person say nervously... "Listen, I'll have to call you back. There's an idiot in the other stall who keeps talking."

Same here! 2001 Munich

Paid a oompah band 50 euro to play Rocky Top when I was at Oktoberfest in Munich several years ago! Too many beers to negotiate a better price...
Had someone shout it at me a couple years later when I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin

Attachments

• vols at brandenburg.jpg
    vols at brandenburg.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
Another one, wearing my orange UT jacket and hat in DC airport. My boss and a coworker were giving me crap and asking why do you wear that here when i guy walked by and said GO VOLS. I just laughed and walked away!

I also had someone say GO VOLS to me in Sacramento,California in July 2005 as I was walking down the street from a former girlfriend's house:cool:

Paid a oompah band 50 euro to play Rocky Top when I was at Oktoberfest in Munich several years ago! Too many beers to negotiate a better price...
Had someone shout it at me a couple years later when I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin

Super cool my man! Way to represent!

Reactions: I4Vols
This is the opposite of what you asked, but I was in Tokyo and my wife and I happened to be standing on one side of that really busy intersection in Shibuya. It’s the one you see in all the commercials. On the other side, there was a tall Japanese woman wearing head-to-toe Lady Vols year, including matching basketball shoes. I got so excited that I sprinted across the intersection diagonally toward her, and, when I got in range and made eye contact, I yelled “go Vols!” She looked horrified and confused, and then she literally took off running. When my wife caught up, she had to explain that the person (a) probably didn’t speak a lick of English, and (b) almost certainly had no idea she was wearing Lady Vols gear. So I scared the $#!t out of some poor Japanese woman, and I assume she tells the story of her trauma from the crazed Gaijin to this day. Go Vols though, obviously.

Attachments

• 16FDE740-5BA4-4C81-8456-5C8EBD6F49FF.jpeg
    16FDE740-5BA4-4C81-8456-5C8EBD6F49FF.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 10

VN Store

Back