CPF Cracking Down

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 22, 2005 9:40 PM
I think the primary focus should be to provide for a disciplined lifestyle for every player that will continue until the day he dies.
[snapback]106642[/snapback]​

No one can "provide" self-discipline for anybody else, milo. You know that. That's why it's called SELF-discipline.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Jun 22, 2005 10:41 PM
One last point, to a number of these players from economically deprived families, football is the only option if they want an education. The crumbling inner- city schools they attend aren't able to provide them with the resources necessary to place them on equal footing with other students academically, so they use athletics as a vehicle to help them improve their lives. Travis Henry is a great example of someone who took the opportunity afforded him by football. Steve Johnson and Mikki Allen have a very successful sports apparel business. Sometimes we need to celebrate the succes stories instead of worrying about the Daniel Brooks of the world.
[snapback]106644[/snapback]​

Travis was the man. Speaking of a Travis did you see where Travis Stephens got a DUI?

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 7:42 PM
No one can "provide" self-discipline for anybody else, milo. You know that. That's why it's called SELF-discipline.
[snapback]106646[/snapback]​

Or provide an environment and a means for a player to develop self discipline. You know what I mean.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Jun 22, 2005 9:41 PM
One last point, to a number of these players from economically deprived families, football is the only option if they want an education. The crumbling inner- city schools they attend aren't able to provide them with the resources necessary to place them on equal footing with other students academically, so they use athletics as a vehicle to help them improve their lives. Travis Henry is a great example of someone who took the opportunity afforded him by football. Steve Johnson and Mikki Allen have a very successful sports apparel business. Sometimes we need to celebrate the succes stories instead of worrying about the Daniel Brooks of the world.
[snapback]106644[/snapback]​

Were Travis Henry, Steve Johnson, and Mikki Allen in trouble a lot too?

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 22, 2005 9:43 PM
Or provide an environment and a means for a player to develop self discipline. You know what I mean.
[snapback]106649[/snapback]​

Providing an environment and a means for a player to develop self-discipline is the point of this whole thread. Kick out the dumbbutts who don't want to shape up and move on.

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 22, 2005 9:32 PM
Class varied from 8am all the way until 5:30 ones.
I cooked and worked at a law firm.
[snapback]106628[/snapback]​

Working at a law firm certainly can be hazardous to one's mental health. I was a big fan of the night classes, always a more eclectic group of students.

Lord, I hated 8:00 am Monday, Wednesday, and Friday classes. Seemed like I ended up having to take an early class every semester.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 9:43 PM
Were Travis Henry, Steve Johnson, and Mikki Allen in trouble a lot too?
[snapback]106650[/snapback]​

I think Mikki had one shoplifting offense. I was just using them as examples of players who had used football as a vehicle to a succesful life.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Jun 22, 2005 9:50 PM
I think Mikki had one shoplifting offense. I was just using them as examples of players who had used football as a vehicle to a succesful life.
[snapback]106662[/snapback]​

It would be interesting, ( for me at least) to look at the "successes" and see how their conduct was in college. In other words, did "success" start in school or did they turn their lives around.

In Jamal's defense let's remember that the offense he went to jail for was committed in the summer between his final year at UT and his rookie year in the NFL. Let's see if he has learned his lesson and will now lead a reputable life. Chuck Smith is a good example of someone who matured into a respected member of his community.

Well, not knowing Brooks like CPF does, I am sure he is handling it appropriately. I apologize for spouting off earlier in the thread.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 9:53 PM
It would be interesting, ( for me at least) to look at the "successes" and see how their conduct was in college. In other words, did "success" start in school or did they turn their lives around.
[snapback]106666[/snapback]​

I think most successes would be players that were model citizens. However, there are a large number of successful former players who openly admit that football(and the college education that came with it)kept them out of prison. Many players come for football, then find their
professional calling through the education football affords them.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Jun 22, 2005 9:46 PM
Working at a law firm certainly can be hazardous to one's mental health. I was a big fan of the night classes, always a more eclectic group of students.
[snapback]106656[/snapback]​

Hazardous? It drove me up the wall.

I wish night classes were more available but I didnt have the ones I needed offered at night so it was a work/class/work/class/work slew of days.

Annoys me to hear players complaining about money while I work/class from 6am to 11pm everyday...almost 7 days a week

Hey, these guys can read, and when one of their teammates gets into trouble, they know the problems that causes for the image of our program.

So, when a player screws up, it's not like it is ever an isolated incident. It is part of a chain of screwups within the program.

Having said that, I know that boys will be boys, and every now and then, there is going to be a problem. I can sorta live with that depending on the severity of the problem.

What I can't stomach is repeat offenders who don't seem to understand that they are damaging themselves, the team, the program, and the university. So, as for the repeat offenders, I say that the second offense is reason enough to kick their sorry selves to the curb!

VN Store

Back