CPF Cracking Down

Players getting paid is a joke.

I worked morning, afternoon, and nights just to pay my way through college.....and that doesn't include 15+ hours of classes.

The time excuse is laughable

I'm not saying that Brooks hasn't used up all his chances, Lady in Orange. I just think those of us that have been away from the college environment for some time tend to forget the stupid things we did. I bet my law school graduating class at UT had an arrest percentage comparable with this year's football team. It simply seems to me that occasionally fans overblow ANY arrest. Look at everything on a case by case basis, the players don't act worse than the student body at large.

I don't have a vendetta against Daniel Brooks. Heck I was proud when a West Tennessee guy made the UT football team. I just have to question his focus, motivation and work ethic if getting into trouble comes so easily to him.

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 22, 2005 9:11 PM
Players getting paid is a joke.

I worked morning, afternoon, and nights just to pay my way through college.....and that doesn't include 15+ hours of classes.

The time excuse is laughable
[snapback]106601[/snapback]​

When did you go to class? Also, were those jobs ones that are medically proven to shorten both the quantity and quality of your life?

I think all U-T is saying is that the 20 hours a week during the fall that the players put in should not be viewed as a huge sacrifice since they are getting a free education out of the deal.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Look people, this is happening everywhere and it's not that new. Problem is with the internet and talk radio and all of the media coverage these days very little gets swept under the rug anymore. Add to that the fact that we are a top 5 team and we are getting tons of attention nationally. Now, I am not defending these guys and I don't agree with what is happening but it's going to happen, period. I mean what guy hasn't been in a fight or two, and maybe Brooks was driving across campus to see his girlfriend. Who wouldn't take a little risk for their girl? We can all look at say how bad it is and how it shouldn't happen but that is easier said then done.

Let's take a poll of who hasn't done something in their youth that wasn't too smart. Whoever here has never done anything wrong is free to fire away. However, I think as Tennessee fans we have to support our players and get behind them....yes even through the difficult times.

Well, hatvol, it isn't like anyone is FORCING them to play football. If they were forced to sacrifice their bodies, I would shut my mouth and say let 'em do whatever they want. I guess I'm just naive enough to believe that playing in front of huge crowds on national TV and being looked up to by millions of kids and living a dream should at least merit a clean record.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 9:15 PM
I don't have a vendetta against Daniel Brooks. Heck I was proud when a West Tennessee guy made the UT football team. I just have to question his focus, motivation and work ethic if getting into trouble comes so easily to him.
[snapback]106605[/snapback]​

My point is broader than just the Brooks issue. LOI, I think you are correct about Brooks. I'm saying that we as fans tend to overreact to any news of legal troubles and treat it as a sign of a program out of control. I just don't think that's the case.

The argument in the other direction though is that someone in the general student population who had an academic scholarship would face absolutely no sanctions if they were arrested for a traffic violation.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 10:21 PM
Well, hatvol, it isn't like anyone is FORCING them to play football. If they were forced to sacrifice their bodies, I would shut my mouth and say let 'em do whatever they want. I guess I'm just naive enough to believe that playing in front of huge crowds on national TV and being looked up to by millions of kids and living a dream should at least merit a clean record.
[snapback]106610[/snapback]​

You would think so on the surface but these kids are stars and are in the spotlight. They are faced with more peer pressure and challenges than the normal student. They could be put in bad situations and make the right choice 49 times out of 50 but all we would hear about is the one screw up. Again, I am not defending their actions but I think it's easy to say how it should be, but much more difficult to live up to it.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Jun 22, 2005 9:21 PM
My point is broader than just the Brooks issue. LOI, I think you are correct about Brooks. I'm saying that we as fans tend to overreact to any news of legal troubles and treat it as a sign of a program out of control. I just don't think that's the case.
[snapback]106611[/snapback]​

Well, I DO have to concede the point on that. I have even spoken out in the past about how our players seem to be "picked on" sometimes by the media and even the campus cops.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 22, 2005 9:23 PM
The argument in the other direction though is that someone in the general student population who had an academic scholarship would face absolutely no sanctions if they were arrested for a traffic violation.
[snapback]106613[/snapback]​

Also, nobody would read about it on the front page of the News-Sentinel.

You guys just have to overlook the self-righteous schoolmarm in me.

I just can't help it.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 9:25 PM
Well, I DO have to concede the point on that. I have even spoken out in the past about how our players seem to be "picked on" sometimes by the media and even the campus cops.
[snapback]106615[/snapback]​

See, we DO have some common ground on this issue. I think players should be held accountable. I'm just more lenient in what constitutes being held accountable.

Originally posted by hatvol96@Jun 22, 2005 9:17 PM
When did you go to class?

Class varied from 8am all the way until 5:30 ones.

Also, were those jobs ones that are medically proven to shorten both the quantity and quality of your life?

I cooked and worked at a law firm.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 22, 2005 9:31 PM
That discipline sure did work out well with Lewis.
[snapback]106627[/snapback]​

It did while he was on campus.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Jun 22, 2005 9:25 PM
. They could be put in bad situations and make the right choice 49 times out of 50 but all we would hear about is the one screw up.
[snapback]106614[/snapback]​

ONE??? You better go check the records, Freaky.

It could be one out of 50 or three out of 150. :lol:

Originally posted by vol_freak@Jun 22, 2005 9:37 PM
It could be one out of 50 or three out of 150. :lol:
[snapback]106636[/snapback]​

Depending on the player, right?

;)

it's all a fraction thing. they are the same percentage.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 22, 2005 7:33 PM
It did while he was on campus.
[snapback]106630[/snapback]​

I would rather the discipline last a lifetime. I'm sure everybody here is embarassed to have Lewis associated with the University after all the cocaine charges.

Given that most players for our team will not continue to play football after they graduate, I think the primary focus should be to provide for a disciplined lifestyle for every player that will continue until the day he dies. And when things like Jamal Lewis' jail sentence happens, it only sets back the image of a program which should be building a respectable image for itself.

I'm not going to blame anyone for players getting arrested, and I'm not going to demand it never happens again. But our entire football program needs to do its absolute best to try and ensure that these incidents happen as little as possible.

One last point, to a number of these players from economically deprived families, football is the only option if they want an education. The crumbling inner- city schools they attend aren't able to provide them with the resources necessary to place them on equal footing with other students academically, so they use athletics as a vehicle to help them improve their lives. Travis Henry is a great example of someone who took the opportunity afforded him by football. Steve Johnson and Mikki Allen have a very successful sports apparel business. Sometimes we need to celebrate the succes stories instead of worrying about the Daniel Brooks of the world.

VN Store

Back